U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-01-2019, 12:41 PM
 
18,115 posts, read 15,305,909 times
Reputation: 34211

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Great story, I agree with much of your praise for this state .It truly is a great place to live and raise a family. Your bias against Murphy , your hatred clouds you vision. The man deserves a chance to turn things around and if he doesn't then handle it at election time . Your constant Murphy bashing is very trump like, like a petulant child.
Especially as we had a conservative governor who had 8 years to correct these things, and failed. repeating those same policies for another 4 years doesn't make much sense either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-01-2019, 12:47 PM
 
98 posts, read 43,502 times
Reputation: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
It doesn't take four years to see the direction murphy is headed.
It doesn't take a genius to appreciate that 18% of voters selected guvmurph for the rest of us. Far from a quorum or mandate.
It doesn't take four years nor a genius to know that. Specially, when Murphy himself has voiced his Liberal policies which are in line with the hijacked Democratic party.
.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 01:42 PM
 
4 posts, read 578 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdGuitar View Post
It doesn't take four years nor a genius to know that. Specially, when Murphy himself has voiced his Liberal policies which are in line with the hijacked Democratic party.
.
There's nothing that screws the poor and middle classes more than a liberal with ideals which require higher taxation.

I have an "average" 3 bedroom apartment in NYC. My taxes are over $70K per year. Do you think the poor or middle classes will EVER be able to afford this? Do you think most retirees will EVER be able to afford this?

Think of what NYC did with giving massive tax breaks to the big corporation Amazon and its mega-wealthy owner Bezos... tax breaks that have to be compensated for by the individual tax payers who NEVER get any breaks.

It's pretty obvious that: "You vote Blue to receive your screw!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 01:56 PM
 
18,115 posts, read 15,305,909 times
Reputation: 34211
Quote:
Originally Posted by guomino View Post
There's nothing that screws the poor and middle classes more than a liberal with ideals which require higher taxation.

I have an "average" 3 bedroom apartment in NYC. My taxes are over $70K per year. Do you think the poor or middle classes will EVER be able to afford this? Do you think most retirees will EVER be able to afford this?

Think of what NYC did with giving massive tax breaks to the big corporation Amazon and its mega-wealthy owner Bezos... tax breaks that have to be compensated for by the individual tax payers who NEVER get any breaks.

It's pretty obvious that: "You vote Blue to receive your screw!"
Again, how did your life improve under 8 years of Christie? One poster said hers got worse, as she lost her Homestead rebate and was hit with a gas tax. I too was hurt by the gas tax. So again, please tell me the ways your life got better under 8 years of GOP rule?


Christie gave massive tax breaks to the Revel. Pols give tax breaks to businesses on both sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 02:00 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
1,195 posts, read 262,242 times
Reputation: 605
After living 12 years in NJ, Iím moving back to Europe in fall.
NJ is great but cost of living, taxes, etc. out of control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 02:51 PM
 
831 posts, read 653,363 times
Reputation: 663
My employer has decided to leave NJ because of the Murphy Adminstration. I'm pandering on leaving the state with them or stay here in taxmigeden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 03:10 PM
 
2,258 posts, read 1,064,525 times
Reputation: 4080
Christie got the 2% property tax cap in. That absolutely reined in spending at the local level. I would see it at BOE meetings. If anything, it gave BOE members cover as to why everything couldn’t be spent and why some under-utilized positions had to be eliminated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 03:16 PM
 
18,115 posts, read 15,305,909 times
Reputation: 34211
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Christie got the 2% property tax cap in. That absolutely reined in spending at the local level. I would see it at BOE meetings. If anything, it gave BOE members cover as to why everything couldnít be spent and why some under-utilized positions had to be eliminated
And your life improved in what way? Did it save you more than the gas tax cost you?


I'm not knocking GOP, it just bugs me to sit here and watch people cry Dems don't fix anything/make anyone's life better, and can't tell me how 8 years of GOP did. I don't think one's all that much better than another frankly. But to sit here and posit that things would be drastically better in NJ if only we didn't just elect a Dem is just ridiculous IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 03:29 PM
 
2,258 posts, read 1,064,525 times
Reputation: 4080
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
And your life improved in what way? Did it save you more than the gas tax cost you?

I'm not knocking GOP, it just bugs me to sit here and watch people cry Dems don't fix anything/make anyone's life better, and can't tell me how 8 years of GOP did. I don't think one's all that much better than another frankly. But to sit here and posit that things would be drastically better in NJ if only we didn't just elect a Dem is just ridiculous IMO.
Uh yeah? Before that my property taxes were going up 5-7% a year, compounded

Christie couldn’t do all he wanted with the Dem legislature
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 07:24 PM
 
643 posts, read 327,258 times
Reputation: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Great story, I agree with much of your praise for this state .It truly is a great place to live and raise a family. Your bias against Murphy , your hatred clouds you vision. The man deserves a chance to turn things around and if he doesn't then handle it at election time . Your constant Murphy bashing is very trump like, like a petulant child.
With respect, I think you are missing my point as it relates to Phil Murphy. I did not say that Governor Murphy created the problems New Jersey is facing, I said he is doubling-down on bad choices made in the past.

After twelve months in office, Governor Murphy can point to over $1 billion in higher taxes including making the corporate business tax the highest in the nation, sitting by and allowing the gas tax to be increased again, throwing more money at the current school funding formula as property taxes increase, and forcing New Jersey back into a cap and trade program that will increase utility costs. No sir/madam, Governor Murphy has not tried to turn New Jersey around. He is making it more expensive to live here. By the way, did you give Donald Trump a chance before you starting voicing disapproval?

My point is a simple one. New Jersey is not affordable. That is not Phil Murphy's fault. But making it more so is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
It doesn't take four years to see the direction murphy is headed.


It doesn't take a genius to appreciate that 18% of voters selected guvmurph for the rest of us. Far from a quorum or mandate.


Hate is a misused word and improperly projected by liberals/dems. So much for the little blue lawn signs, 'no room for hate in this home', which implies no more room for hate, as that home is already overflowing with hate. As a projectionist 'you' rationalize that any position opposed to yours is invalid because it is clouded by hate. A lesson learned from despotic regimes that suppress by persecution and prosecute opposing expression.


A mirror is your best friend. Though facial recognition would be an impossibility.


It is the voters and lack of participation that keeps the NJ we love and hope it can be, first on lists of worst places and last on lists of best places.


To elect another goldman sachs elitist is to relive the JC administration. Here we have financial gurus who have no clue how to even begin making a positive difference. They live in a world of theory and like a miss America contestant, claim they are for world peace, prosperity and equality for all....and just enough perennially naÔve NJ voters fall for it every time. The difference between JC and guvmurph, is guvmurph is bewitched by left wing socialism.


Yep, before you drive from Bergen county to Cape May, your left rear car tire is looking a little flat, but 'we' need to give it a chance to reflate. What alien world owns that logic?


Impeach murphy.


Legalize betting on election outcomes to encourage voter participation. No way the results can possibly be worse than they are now.


No one hates guvmurph, they simply oppose his policies and the direction in which he is taking the state of NJ.
Well said. Murphy is a far-left ideologue, when we really need someone to make this state affordable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
As a homeowner, I got a nice homestead rebate check every year under Corzine.
Christie took that away, and gave me a gas tax hike.
I agree with you on the gas tax, but the homestead rebate was always a band-aid. The real issue is the school funding formula.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnysalami View Post
As far as financial challenges, this today is only the tip of the iceberg.

Regardless of your political opinions if any of you want this state to no longer be the debt ridden mess that it is public sector pensions should be officially banned(they can get a 401k just like the rest of us), abbott v burke needs to be overturned, marijuana legalized and taxed at a moderate amount, and public housing projects privatized (we are talking tens or even hundreds of billions of dollars in land that would be sold and tax revenue gained from the private owners.

Needless to say some or none of these things will happen, so prepare for a bumpy ride over the next 15-20 years.

Before any of you calling me heartless for wanting to get rid of all free public housing projects, the reason for higher rent in the first place has to do with an inadequate supply to match the demand.

Height limits of apartments/condos within a quarter mile of NJ transit stations should be gotten rid of.

This allows us to greatly increase the supply of housing without causing more highway or town traffic as less people would need to own a car anyway.
I strongly agree with you on the property tax issue. I do think the state needs to reform the pension system; changing it from a defined benefit to a definite contribution system is essential. I think marijuana should be legalized subject to the sales tax. As far as public housing, I'm against the mandates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
Good thread.

Spent the morning talking with two friends. Two of us want out of NJ yesterday. OP has some excellent points but leaves out one - whacked out public pension liabilities. No one I know in private industry can work for just 25 years and get an 80% pension and free healthcare for the rest of their lives.

While I love southern NJ it is time to leave..
Thank you, those of us in northern New Jersey think southern New Jersey is more affordable so if it's time for you to move, what does that say about us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
NJ has a lot more going for it than it did 30 years ago.

30 years ago if you wanted good sushi or wanted to buy ethnic food, you pretty much had to go into NYC.

Now, there's lots of amenities, places like Jersey City and Hoboken which used to have crime are now attractions, and there's two major cities nearby, one of which itself has made major strides (Philly).

If you don't care about any of those things and your life consists of going to Bonefish Grill and Boston Market, or you're into hunting or that kind of life, then I agree.

It's silly to live in NJ.
I listed culture and food as things that make New Jersey great, and always have. But the cost of living and decreasing economic opportunities create a challenge for those of us who want to live here long-term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Nope, it's going to be bread and circuses and corruption until the whole state is Detroit. Only question is how long it takes.
I'm afraid that is how it's going to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Especially as we had a conservative governor who had 8 years to correct these things, and failed. repeating those same policies for another 4 years doesn't make much sense either.
I would hardly call Chris Christie a conservative, but I do agree he did fail in many respects. Christie does deserve credit for the cap on interest arbitration and passing pension reform in 2011. The problem is, Christie began to skip partial pension payments in his second term which violated the 2011 agreement between the state and unions and added to our debt and unfunded liabilities. Christie's 2% property tax cap was a step in the right direction, but he gave up on efforts to lower income and property taxes.

I voted for Kim Guadagno for two reasons. One, she is not Phil Murphy. Two, she promised to not seek re-election if she couldn't deliver on lowering property taxes. Find me another candidate for Governor who made that promise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Last election, the electorate said YES to 500 million dollars more in debt! 500 million! YES! Give us more debt! They also said yes to essentially overriding the property tax cap at any time to pay back that debt

Thinking that anything is ever going to be reformed is a childish dream

You either make enough to live here and it's worth it to you, or you don't and you leave
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdGuitar View Post
It doesn't take four years nor a genius to know that. Specially, when Murphy himself has voiced his Liberal policies which are in line with the hijacked Democratic party.
.
I agree, and Murphy has already begun to fight for and implement his liberal policies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guomino View Post
There's nothing that screws the poor and middle classes more than a liberal with ideals which require higher taxation.

I have an "average" 3 bedroom apartment in NYC. My taxes are over $70K per year. Do you think the poor or middle classes will EVER be able to afford this? Do you think most retirees will EVER be able to afford this?

Think of what NYC did with giving massive tax breaks to the big corporation Amazon and its mega-wealthy owner Bezos... tax breaks that have to be compensated for by the individual tax payers who NEVER get any breaks.

It's pretty obvious that: "You vote Blue to receive your screw!"
I'm sorry to say, but NYC is a lost cause. I give Mayors Giuliani and Bloomberg credit for reducing crime and cleaning up the streets, but NYC will never be a place for even people earning $200,000 per year. It's for the very wealthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Again, how did your life improve under 8 years of Christie? One poster said hers got worse, as she lost her Homestead rebate and was hit with a gas tax. I too was hurt by the gas tax. So again, please tell me the ways your life got better under 8 years of GOP rule?


Christie gave massive tax breaks to the Revel. Pols give tax breaks to businesses on both sides.
Chris Christie proposed cutting income taxes, the Democratic majority in the legislature said no. Chris Christie proposed a school funding reform plan that would cut property taxes, the Democratic majority in the legislature said no.

Democrats control the legislature. Now, Christie did implement policies I disagree with. Chris Christie also doubled-down on some of the mistakes of the past. But when Chris Christie tried to cut income and property taxes, it was Democrats who said no. On the spending and debt side, I do blame Christie as much as the Democrats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
My employer has decided to leave NJ because of the Murphy Adminstration. I'm pandering on leaving the state with them or stay here in taxmigeden.
It's a tough decision. I'm flexible about where I can live as I'm early in my career. What really holds me back from leaving is my friends. Others have family commitments here. In the last year, about a third of my family residing in the state left, and I have two other relatives who let it be known they'll leave in the next five years or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Christie got the 2% property tax cap in. That absolutely reined in spending at the local level. I would see it at BOE meetings. If anything, it gave BOE members cover as to why everything couldnít be spent and why some under-utilized positions had to be eliminated
I believe the 2% cap on property taxes was a step in the right direction, but not nearly good enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top