U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 09:51 PM

193 posts, read 59,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Is any state? Is this country? NJ problems mirror the same problems as other states.

Again your Murphy bias is showing.
I mean NJ is pricey like any other northern state, but then you add on those property taxes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 10:36 PM

646 posts, read 329,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruebas View Post
Yawn. @njforlife92, your Murphy-bashing is really getting stale and monotonous. It’s a done deal and he’s not going away, no matter how much belly-aching you do. Please stop acting like a whiny kid.

Can’t you find other meaning in your life?
So kind of like this:

Quote:
I agree with @vision33r. Most sushi here is crap, worse than eki sushi in Japan. For good quality, you want a Japanese chef. Most Americans cannot tell though, so the other stuff passes (particularly if you load it down with shoyu and/or [fake] wasabi).
or this:

Quote:
Who would live in Secaucus? It’s a polluted swamp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
He started earning my disapproval right from the fear-mongering, pessimistic Inaugural speech, followed by a steady stream of lies about "crowd size". There wasn't a whole lot of reason to believe he was going to change in office after that. I disliked everything about him before the election, but tried to be hopeful afterward but from that very first speech he told me nothing was going to be any different than the campaign in terms of lies, governance by fear-mongering, and hateful rhetoric.
I did not vote for Donald Trump, I do not approve of his job performance overall despite my approval of certain policies he's enacted.

But I find it hypocritical of people (not you) who claim I never gave Murphy a chance yet they never gave Trump a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxProf View Post
It has a lot going for it. I feel optimistic about the Newark and surrounding areas, and think there are still some pretty good places that are affordable with decent schools. I’m very concerned, however, about the fiscal situation--NJ is ground zero for underfunded pension/benefit obligations. I don’t see how we can organically “grow” out of this issue. Feels like there needs to be substantial reforms or else huge tax increases to solve this issue.

This is obviously a much bigger issue than any one politician. There is probably an issue with the long-term nature of this problem and the short tenure of most of the political leaders. It’s hard for me to see where the political will for solving this issue will come from.
I agree with you the issue is much bigger than one politician, some here are obsessed with the fact that I mentioned the Governor but the bigger picture here, and this is the majority of what I wrote about originally, is that we face enormous challenges. I appreciate your optimism and hope you are right.

Quote:
Is any state? Is this country? NJ problems mirror the same problems as other states.

Again your Murphy bias is showing.
According to the website Best Places, the cost of everything except for health care is above the national average in New Jersey. The median home cost in New Jersey is $98,000 more than the nation and that is before you consider the highest property taxes in the nation and one of the highest income taxes in the country. The average New Jersey taxpayer pays over $19,000 per year in taxes. Our neighbors in Pennsylvania pay under $12,000, in Delaware the number is around $9,200, and even in New York it's $15,000. We have the highest average taxes in the country.

Now, you are right. Other states have challenges. States like Illinois and California face consistent fiscal issues and unfunded liabilities. But this is not about comparing New Jersey to those states, it's about shedding light on the challenges facing New Jersey and getting opinions as to if these challenges can be overcome or not.

You may not mind a high cost of living, job losses, or people leaving New Jersey, but there are many in this state who struggle while others in other states earning the same income have a higher standard of living. It wasn't always this way, nor is it Governor Murphy's fault. But again, he has doubled-down on the same failed policies of the past. He has actually signed legislation, this is not at all speculative. And this thread was not intended to only be about Governor Murphy's policies.

Sources:
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/05/aver...ery-state.html

Last edited by Yac; 01-03-2019 at 02:05 AM..

Old 01-03-2019, 05:07 AM

14,334 posts, read 4,434,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
So kind of like this:

or this:

I did not vote for Donald Trump, I do not approve of his job performance overall despite my approval of certain policies he's enacted.

But I find it hypocritical of people (not you) who claim I never gave Murphy a chance yet they never gave Trump a chance.

I agree with you the issue is much bigger than one politician, some here are obsessed with the fact that I mentioned the Governor but the bigger picture here, and this is the majority of what I wrote about originally, is that we face enormous challenges. I appreciate your optimism and hope you are right.

According to the website Best Places, the cost of everything except for health care is above the national average in New Jersey. The median home cost in New Jersey is $98,000 more than the nation and that is before you consider the highest property taxes in the nation and one of the highest income taxes in the country. The average New Jersey taxpayer pays over $19,000 per year in taxes. Our neighbors in Pennsylvania pay under $12,000, in Delaware the number is around $9,200, and even in New York it's $15,000. We have the highest average taxes in the country.

Now, you are right. Other states have challenges. States like Illinois and California face consistent fiscal issues and unfunded liabilities. But this is not about comparing New Jersey to those states, it's about shedding light on the challenges facing New Jersey and getting opinions as to if these challenges can be overcome or not.

You may not mind a high cost of living, job losses, or people leaving New Jersey, but there are many in this state who struggle while others in other states earning the same income have a higher standard of living. It wasn't always this way, nor is it Governor Murphy's fault. But again, he has doubled-down on the same failed policies of the past. He has actually signed legislation, this is not at all speculative. And this thread was not intended to only be about Governor Murphy's policies.

Sources:
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/05/aver...ery-state.html

You ignore the obvious ,quality of life ,education . Jobs ,proximity to the Financial Center of the World. Your anti Murphy campaign started before he got sworn in . Cost of living is different in every state and every state offers something different. Your link isn't a good one , we get it you're not happy but your fellow New Jersey voters think different, stop.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:04 AM

3,831 posts, read 8,706,606 times
Quote:
You ignore the obvious ,quality of life ,education . Jobs ,proximity to the Financial Center of the World. .
This is pretty much an old fashioned way of thinking. There are plenty of cheaper places to live that offer all of these things. I have friends in Maryland, suburban Atlanta and suburban Dallas that are living a great life at a fraction of what it would cost them to live in NJ.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
You ignore the obvious ,quality of life ,education . Jobs ,proximity to the Financial Center of the World. Your anti Murphy campaign started before he got sworn in . Cost of living is different in every state and every state offers something different. Your link isn't a good one , we get it you're not happy but your fellow New Jersey voters think different, stop.
I didn't ignore anything, I listed all of the positive things about New Jersey. You seem obsessed with the fact that I mentioned the Governor doubling-down on failed policies which was only a part of my initial post.

I suggest reading this from July 2017:
https://www.mckinsey.com/featured-in...e-garden-state

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
This is pretty much an old fashioned way of thinking. There are plenty of cheaper places to live that offer all of these things. I have friends in Maryland, suburban Atlanta and suburban Dallas that are living a great life at a fraction of what it would cost them to live in NJ.
Absolutely, thank you.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:43 AM

13,596 posts, read 14,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
You're right, it is very dated thinking.

The political culture has to change to see NJ change for the better.

Unfortunately I think it's too entrenched and powerful, similar to the political woes that plague IL.

I wish I felt differently but I don't see anything changing in that regard.

I'dlove to see NJ as a sanctuary state for employers that hire skilled workers, tradespeople, educated workers.

A state that draws the young and educated from cities in NC, GA, TX and other growth areas. A state where affluent retirees wouldn't even consider leaving.

Is that too much to ask for?

Old 01-03-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
You're right, it is very dated thinking.

The political culture has to change to see NJ change for the better.

Unfortunately I think it's too entrenched and powerful, similar to the political woes that plague IL.

I wish I felt differently but I don't see anything changing in that regard.

I'dlove to see NJ as a sanctuary state for employers that hire skilled workers, tradespeople, educated workers.

A state that draws the young and educated from cities in NC, GA, TX and other growth areas. A state where affluent retirees wouldn't even consider leaving.

Is that too much to ask for?
Very good post and excellent points.

This is my concern. I think most of New Jersey could be an almost perfect place to live. I think our economy does benefit from an educated workforce and a great location, but the cost of doing business here because of the tax and regulatory climate and lack of infrastructure improvement in recent years encourages businesses to leave our state. Living here means access to world-class food, culture, nature, medical care, and proximity to New York City and Philadelphia. It also means being able to live amongst people who are honest, caring, and hard-working. But the cost of living here is high. What good is living near great theaters and music venues when you have to spend what would go to more tickets on property taxes? Does it matter if one has excellent restaurants in their area when their money has to instead go to paying higher utility costs than average?

Old 01-03-2019, 11:27 AM

3,831 posts, read 8,706,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
Very good post and excellent points.

This is my concern. I think most of New Jersey could be an almost perfect place to live. I think our economy does benefit from an educated workforce and a great location, but the cost of doing business here because of the tax and regulatory climate and lack of infrastructure improvement in recent years encourages businesses to leave our state. Living here means access to world-class food, culture, nature, medical care, and proximity to New York City and Philadelphia. It also means being able to live amongst people who are honest, caring, and hard-working. But the cost of living here is high. What good is living near great theaters and music venues when you have to spend what would go to more tickets on property taxes? Does it matter if one has excellent restaurants in their area when their money has to instead go to paying higher utility costs than average?
I agree with these points. I will also add that proximity to NYC is both a blessing and a curse. It's great if you have a job in NYC or like the culture there. But I work in NJ for a NJ based company. I essentially pay a premium for living and working close to NYC, yet I have no interest in going to the city for recreation and don't need to be there for work. My house is about 10 miles outside NYC and it has been at least 3 years since I last set foot in any of the 5 boroughs.

Old 01-03-2019, 01:47 PM

193 posts, read 34,210 times
The criminals own the 2 major parties the democrats and republicans I don't see much hope as people will continue to vote for them.

They got everyone hooked on that red team vs blue team thing wile they both sell us out.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:03 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,069,648 times
Murphy signed in the budget this past summer which included an increase in the corporate tax. Which is now 11.5%

Quote:
The budget agreement included a four-year increase in the Corporation Business Tax for businesses with net income over $1 million. They'll pay an additional 2.5 percent for two years and then 1.5 percent for two years before the rate returns to 9 percent.

At 11.5 percent, the new rate is the second highest in the country, lower only than Iowa's.

Regionally, it clocks in higher than New York (6.5 percent), Pennsylvania (9.99 percent), Delaware (8.7 percent), and Connecticut (8.25 percent).
This is not good. Not good at all. No one benefits from driving companies and jobs out of state. Never mind attracting companies to come here.

And then we all act surprised when we hear about this company leaving or that company leaving
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey