U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-04-2019, 01:53 PM
 
5,880 posts, read 13,487,591 times
Reputation: 3176

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
What I (and others) have been saying is that in New Jersey, it is a lot harder being working/middle class than in other states. I am not suggesting that people don't struggle outside of New Jersey. In fact, New Jersey is better than most of the country in terms of access to good public schools and medical care (I'm not talking about insurance, but rather access to great Doctors and facilities). But it is a lot harder being in the working or middle classes in New Jersey when it comes to paying the bills. It costs more to rent or buy a home here than the national average, taxes are some of the highest in the nation, and food costs are higher than the national average. So it really isn't just about property taxes or even income taxes, mortgages or rents and simply putting food on the table is a lot more than in other places. On top of that, our infrastructure and gas tax make automobile ownership higher than in other places.
I'd argue that for blue collar workers, NJ is BETTER than many other states. I don't think everything should be about COL, but QOL. NJ has strong union protections. Unions provide much stability to working class/blue collar families in the form of health insurance, hours worked, vacation days, pensions, and more. Someone may make more when adjusted for COL in a right-to-work state, but their livelihood is more at risk, job security is lower, retirement is less a guarantee, health care is worse, etc. There are benefits to making your money in the north and retiring in the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-04-2019, 03:40 PM
 
14,347 posts, read 4,450,260 times
Reputation: 5370
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I'd argue that for blue collar workers, NJ is BETTER than many other states. I don't think everything should be about COL, but QOL. NJ has strong union protections. Unions provide much stability to working class/blue collar families in the form of health insurance, hours worked, vacation days, pensions, and more. Someone may make more when adjusted for COL in a right-to-work state, but their livelihood is more at risk, job security is lower, retirement is less a guarantee, health care is worse, etc. There are benefits to making your money in the north and retiring in the south.
+1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2019, 04:17 PM
 
Location: New Jersey/Florida
5,383 posts, read 10,250,739 times
Reputation: 3506
I think the cause is the people moving to Canada because Trump was elected president. They said they were moving out of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 10:21 AM
 
620 posts, read 383,206 times
Reputation: 609
Visit upstate NY I think most of the population left, we are a crowded state and no way will we ever be like that. There will always be leaving and people moving in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 11:19 AM
 
14,347 posts, read 4,450,260 times
Reputation: 5370
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef1 View Post
Visit upstate NY I think most of the population left, we are a crowded state and no way will we ever be like that. There will always be leaving and people moving in.


Bingo and the OP used a link provided by one moving company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 11:39 AM
 
30 posts, read 21,587 times
Reputation: 16
get a nice rent stablized apartment like i have and live in it for the next 30 years if possible. then, take the $ that you would have spent on taxation and homeownership and invest it in the stock market or other real estate. now do you get it? want to buy a house, buy it in the poconos or a condo in jamaica.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 11:44 AM
 
Location: NJ
3,837 posts, read 8,715,142 times
Reputation: 2824
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Bingo and the OP used a link provided by one moving company.
https://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...ed/2463997002/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 01:16 PM
 
12,014 posts, read 9,871,170 times
Reputation: 16528
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonorityGenius View Post
High Property Tax + Inefficient transit = Millenials out
Funny, all the builders who are way over-developing NJ towns claim that millennials want to live in their apartments and are being priced out of other areas like NYC, and want to live in Hoboken-like towns.

Glad to see we're forcing towns to build, build, build and comply with AH obligations while more people are leaving this state than any other state.

I still don't know where they think they're putting all these people they're building on already overdeveloped land for, especially considering the transit issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 01:32 PM
 
Location: NJ
23,115 posts, read 29,090,926 times
Reputation: 14985
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I'd argue that for blue collar workers, NJ is BETTER than many other states. I don't think everything should be about COL, but QOL. NJ has strong union protections. Unions provide much stability to working class/blue collar families in the form of health insurance, hours worked, vacation days, pensions, and more. Someone may make more when adjusted for COL in a right-to-work state, but their livelihood is more at risk, job security is lower, retirement is less a guarantee, health care is worse, etc. There are benefits to making your money in the north and retiring in the south.
but there arent a lot of blue collar union jobs in nj. so yeah, its great for a tiny % of the workforce that still have those jobs. but that is a negligible amount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 04:15 PM
 
5,880 posts, read 13,487,591 times
Reputation: 3176
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Funny, all the builders who are way over-developing NJ towns claim that millennials want to live in their apartments and are being priced out of other areas like NYC, and want to live in Hoboken-like towns.

Glad to see we're forcing towns to build, build, build and comply with AH obligations while more people are leaving this state than any other state.

I still don't know where they think they're putting all these people they're building on already overdeveloped land for, especially considering the transit issue.
Except we do. All the research shows that millennials are still moving to JC and Hoboken.
"The state’s top Millennial destinations won’t come as a surprise to many: Hoboken is the state’s Millennial capital, with 45 percent of the Mile Square City’s population falling fully in the 22-34-year-old age group. Neighboring Jersey City is second, as Millennials make up 28 percent of its population."
https://jerseydigs.com/millennials-s...ng-new-jersey/

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/ghdl.../#5a24065a57bc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top