U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 12:39 PM

39 posts, read 19,014 times

Advertisements

I've never lived there, but it was my halfway spot on my commute from Yonkers Ny to Verona Nj for two years So here is my two cents; I really love Fort Lee and Edgewater , they are my favorite places in NJ.
There is something about being close to the water, shops, the city skyline, the bridge , cliffs etc.
Downtown Fort lee is fairly walkable ,full of restaurants and coffee shops.
I think this place has everything, is a mixture of city feeling and suburbs. I really loved my walks from Fort lee historic park down to the palisades. Also is the only spot that you can actually walk to Manhattan from NJ.
The local library is spacious and comfortable,also a couple of nice Starbucks, super markets, great bars, even a Ipic theater. It's the start point for major highways so you can go practically anywhere from there.Traffic is bad, i drove across the GWB everyday and its not fun at all, its not exactly diverse, since is predominantly Korean and the housing market is expensive , also some of the houses are not detached.
As for the commute to Manhattan, trains are not an option but buses are.I noticed a several "jitneys" or small buses going across the bridge to the station in GWB where you can take the subway to midtown from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 05:20 PM

864 posts, read 529,002 times
How would you walk it? Does the GW bridge have a walk lane?

Old 01-05-2019, 06:37 PM

52,688 posts, read 51,819,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
How would you walk it? Does the GW bridge have a walk lane?
Yes, it does. As a matter of fact, a good number of people each year walk halfway over, and then jump. A larger number are generally spotted and saved before they commit the act. It's about 200 feet to the water. Rarely does a jumper survive.

Most people don't do that, though. Bikes may also be ridden over the bridge.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:05 PM

864 posts, read 529,002 times
Well I suppose walking half way and jumping is overall a better work out. I've walked across the Brooklyn Bridge before - it was pretty nice but I read that its too crowded.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
Well I suppose walking half way and jumping is overall a better work out. I've walked across the Brooklyn Bridge before - it was pretty nice but I read that its too crowded.
I don't know if dead = a better workout.

I've never walked across the GWB. My father did when he was a kid not long after it opened. They charged a dime.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:31 PM

7,752 posts, read 8,198,900 times
I take the bus from Fort Lee to port authority regularly. The bus trip for me is 45 minutes. The bus goes through the Lincoln Tunnel. There is a bus that goes over the GWB, but then you need to take the subway down to midtown. I would have a longer walk to take that bus. There are also the "Spanish speaking" buses and they run no matter what. Edgewater is nicer.

Old 01-06-2019, 12:33 AM

25 posts, read 8,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxProf View Post
Isnít the ferry commute to Wall Street via port imperial quite reasonable? I recognize that itís a bit more expensive, but if you can shave off 10+ minutes each way and get more reliable service, I would think it's worth a few hundred dollars more per month.
Saves much more than 10 minutes; closer to 45 minutes.
15 minutes to weehawken then 25 minutes to the port by south street, compared to 1 hour 15+ by bus and subway.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:44 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,098,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
Saves much more than 10 minutes; closer to 45 minutes.
15 minutes to weehawken then 25 minutes to the port by south street, compared to 1 hour 15+ by bus and subway.

Except ferries stop running when the weather is rough, when there is ice on the river, etc.. So you can't rely on them 100%.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:15 PM

110 posts, read 32,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Except ferries stop running when the weather is rough, when there is ice on the river, etc.. So you can't rely on them 100%.
I've read lots of reviews and I've never heard anyone complain about this. How common is it for the ferries to stop running?

Old 01-08-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxProf View Post
I've read lots of reviews and I've never heard anyone complain about this. How common is it for the ferries to stop running?
It has happened a few times, but it's relatively rare. The Hudson is a salt-water estuary and the water keeps moving, so there is usually only surface ice. I think high winds stop the ferries more, but even they would have to be pretty dangerous.

Back in 2000, I woke up hearing the radio say that it would be windy with gusts up to 60 mph.

Took the ferry from Hoboken to the then WFC (now Brookfield Place) The water was choppy but it had been before.

I got off the ferry and walked toward the Winter Garden at the WFC, and when I reached the part where there is a short street between the buildings, a river of air came gushing down and picked me up off my feet and knocked me to my knees. I saw my purse fly half a block away, and there was some poor smaller woman hanging on for dear life to the pole supporting an awning on one of the buildings. Two men were trying to get to me to help me, and they were sort of stuck in the air current and couldn't move.

It died down, and one of them ran and got my purse and the other helped me up. My tights were torn and my knee was cut and bleeding. Of course, it got around the office that the six-foot-tall woman had gotten knocked down by the wind. It seemed to be a source of amusement.

Manhattan exists because Henry Hudson penned in his journal that he'd found a harbor, sheltered from the open sea, where a sailor could pick up a wind in any direction.

Seems the boats can work with it. Be careful walking, though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or