U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM

448 posts, read 1,155,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigo1974 View Post
unfortunately, it has the highest air contamination rate in the nation, but the parks are great, as is a walk across the bridge. i love it and that doesn't bother me. just take spirulina tablets from some health food store.

Great point ,for some reason though most people don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM

52,685 posts, read 51,819,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachouse View Post
Great point ,for some reason though most people don't care.
I think if you live in it you become less concerned. Or somewhat immune.

I've lived in NJ all my life, which is a few months north of 60 years, and knock on wood, I enjoy pretty good health. Most of that is likely due to winning the genetic lottery. Mom's 90 and has also lived in New Jersey all of her life.

But I reflected on this not long ago. The air quality here is bad. I used to work in the World Trade Center on the 82nd floor, and you could see this brown layer hanging over NJ on still days.

I also took public transportation, especially PATH trains, in close proximity to thousands of my germ-laden fellow humans daily, and yet I rarely got sick. I smoked for decades. I sucked God-knows-what into my lungs in the cloud on 9/11.

Maybe I'll develop a serious illness or keel over tomorrow. But right now, all seems well.

I think that's why people don't care. For those who don't experience the immediate effects of living in a more-toxic-than-usual environment, we've learned to adjust, and we just carry on.

Old Today, 09:08 AM

13,858 posts, read 16,483,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The air quality here is bad. I used to work in the World Trade Center on the 82nd floor, and you could see this brown layer hanging over NJ on still days.

Yes, but the air quality in and around NYC is far, far better than what we experienced in the '50s, '60s, '70s, and '80s. There is still room for improvement, but there has been a huge improvement in air quality during my lifetime.

For those who don't experience the immediate effects of living in a more-toxic-than-usual environment, we've learned to adjust, and we just carry on.
I have an old friend who frequently eats very old, very sketchy looking (and smelling) food, in order to save a few pennies. His belief is that, if something doesn't cause him to vomit IMMEDIATELY, it must be safe.
Then, 24-48 hours later, he will be "spewing from both ends", but--somehow--he never seems to connect the cause and the effect. So, yes, there are definitely people who ignore health hazards unless those hazards cause them to fall ill immediately.

Old Today, 09:31 AM

52,685 posts, read 51,819,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I have an old friend who frequently eats very old, very sketchy looking (and smelling) food, in order to save a few pennies. His belief is that, if something doesn't cause him to vomit IMMEDIATELY, it must be safe.
Then, 24-48 hours later, he will be "spewing from both ends", but--somehow--he never seems to connect the cause and the effect. So, yes, there are definitely people who ignore health hazards unless those hazards cause them to fall ill immediately.
Sounds like a sketchy diet plan!

Yes, the air quality is improved, as are the Hudson and ocean here.

Old Today, 10:21 AM

13,858 posts, read 16,483,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Sounds like a sketchy diet plan!
Actually, it is his plan for... becoming wealthy.
However, the fact that he dumps all of his money into an account that pays .05% interest means that he is losing far more than he thinks he is saving.

He really needs advice from someone who is a successful investor.
Can you recommend anyone?

Old Today, 10:53 AM

110 posts, read 32,104 times
Do folks have a view as to the desirability of the area around school #1 vs the area around school #4 for a family with young children?

Old Today, 04:31 PM

443 posts, read 1,038,582 times
i imagine the air quality right next to the bridge, especially during rush hour traffic not to be the best.....but its only in that region. and in terms of the school, #4 will be less urban but there's not that much of a difference
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or