Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 11:03 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,499,656 times

Advertisements

What is Ft Lee like. The only recent thread 2016 dealt with its Korean Population. Is it congested? Polluted? Friendly? It seems to be an easy commute to Manhattan even by bus--27 min,.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 09:25 AM

4,703 posts, read 4,354,087 times
It is congested, but obviously many people like living there. It's considered a good area with a very good commute to NYC,

Old 01-03-2019, 09:43 AM

87,983 posts, read 83,805,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
What is Ft Lee like. The only recent thread 2016 dealt with its Korean Population. Is it congested? Polluted? Friendly? It seems to be an easy commute to Manhattan even by bus--27 min,.
Given that it's the town on the Jersey side of the Hudson and where the George Washington Bridge is located, it has to be an easy commute in some ways.

However. When looking at NJ and NY, looking at a map is always a good idea. It astonishes me sometimes that so many people don't seem to have a clue as to the location of northern NJ in relation to Manhattan. (This doesn't necessarily mean you, OP, just a general observation.)

The short version: NNJ lies directly west of Manhattan, across the Hudson River. Manhattan is a long, skinny island on a north/south axis, so depending upon where you need to go in Manhattan, the commute is affected from your starting point in NJ.

Fort Lee via the GWB is an easy commute to UPPER Manhattan. Unless you work uptown somewhere, you are going to have to take a subway or a bus to get to the business centers of midtown and downtown/lower Manhattan, and that can add 20 minutes to half an hour to the commute.

Fort Lee is somewhat congested in that you aren't going to find big houses with luxurious large lawns. The GWB opened in 1931, so as you can imagine, the area has built up around that access to the city over those almost-90 years. There are single-family homes, but older, close-together stock, along with many high-rise condo and co-op complexes, as well as rental apartments. There is also traffic because of the bridge, although in recent years the Fort Lee police have blocked off access to the bridge from some roads during rush hour because too many people trying to find shortcuts to the GWB caused congestion on local streets, and the residents took exception.

I don't know what you mean by "friendly". Fort Lee has people in it. Some are friendly, some are not, just like everywhere else.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:52 PM

4,152 posts, read 5,008,321 times
Congested? Polluted? Friendly?

Yes, yes, no.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:19 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,832,073 times
Depends on where you're going in Manhattan. Wall Street, not so much. The West side of 125th Street, sure.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:05 AM

173 posts, read 213,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Depends on where you're going in Manhattan. Wall Street, not so much. The West side of 125th Street, sure.
Isn’t the ferry commute to Wall Street via port imperial quite reasonable? I recognize that it’s a bit more expensive, but if you can shave off 10+ minutes each way and get more reliable service, I would think it's worth a few hundred dollars more per month.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:19 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,197,686 times
Fort lee has a variety of housing options. There is a luxury area, the bluffs, that has large homes, new luxury apartments and townhouses, older homes on small properties, lots of rentals and older condo and co op buildings. Large Korean population which affects restaurant and retail options. Also a large senior population because many sell their Bergen county homes and move in to apartments. Also popular with empty nesters.
Great commute across the bridge if you take the jitneys run 24/7. New buildings offer free shuttle across gwb. Or walk. Uber is easy. Near amazing shopping in Paramus. New ipic movie theater.
People are friendly but of course it helps if you are the same demographic. Speak Korean and you’ll make plenty of Korean friends. If you are a senior living in one of the older luxury high rises, and spend the winter in Boca or del Ray, you’ll be able to find a canasta game no problem.
There are younger singles, couples and families of course, and specific buildings, attract different occupants.
It’s more conjested than other towns in Bergen county but way less than jersey city or Hoboken. Still plenty of parking at any of the supermarkets or lots or street parking. You get a resident parking permit for free. Not dangerous, I could walk down main st at 3am and feel safe. I think it has something for everyone.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:13 AM

87,983 posts, read 83,805,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxProf View Post
Isn’t the ferry commute to Wall Street via port imperial quite reasonable? I recognize that it’s a bit more expensive, but if you can shave off 10+ minutes each way and get more reliable service, I would think it's worth a few hundred dollars more per month.
I used to take the ferry (from Hoboken) and I loved it.

The OP didn't say where he thought he'd be commuting to, so we don't know if he wants to go downtown.

I checked, though, and Port Imperial is about six miles from Fort Lee. Of course, we all know that road is bumper to bumper traffic during rush hour, but I checked, and it said it can take from 20 to 35 minutes during rush, 16 otherwise. The ferry ride to Pier 11 is 18 minutes. So that is a good option--if he needs to go downtown. Yes, it's more expensive, but in my opinion, worth it.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:54 AM

2,656 posts, read 2,067,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I used to take the ferry (from Hoboken) and I loved it.

The OP didn't say where he thought he'd be commuting to, so we don't know if he wants to go downtown.

I checked, though, and Port Imperial is about six miles from Fort Lee. Of course, we all know that road is bumper to bumper traffic during rush hour, but I checked, and it said it can take from 20 to 35 minutes during rush, 16 otherwise. The ferry ride to Pier 11 is 18 minutes. So that is a good option--if he needs to go downtown. Yes, it's more expensive, but in my opinion, worth it.

So the best case scenario on the free to downtown is 38 minutes just to get downtown. If the OP needs to walk & take a subway to where he works then the commute could take up to an hour.

OP really needs to provide more information about where in Manhattan he works and what time his commute is. "Commute to Manhattan" is a meaningless question. The exact location in Manhattan makes a huge difference.

GWB is always congested during rush hour. So it can take 30 -50 minutes just to get to the GWB bus terminal. And from there the OP will have to travel to his work. But is he can take the bus between 6:30 and 7:00 am then he will probably be OK. Of course then he would have to leave before 4:00 pm to avoid rush hour traffic.

Overall, with no rail service Fort Lee commute to Manhattan is difficult and inconsistent...

Old 01-04-2019, 12:25 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,469,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Fort Lee via the GWB is an easy commute to UPPER Manhattan. Unless you work uptown somewhere, you are going to have to take a subway or a bus to get to the business centers of midtown and downtown/lower Manhattan, and that can add 20 minutes to half an hour to the commute.
Not sure what you mean by upper. The towns in that area are easy for midtown commutes. The buses go right to Port Authority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey