U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 02:21 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,748,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I was thinking the same thing when he said Essex county. Millburn /Short Hill ,Essex Fells ,North Caldwell ,Montclair , Verona, West Orange .
I've already acknowledged the Brazil-level inequality of Essex County. I broke it up into suburban vs urban essex; which really is a tale of 2 counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 02:22 PM

877 posts, read 679,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Agreed. From my perspective "close in" would be the region north of I-78, south of I-80, and East of I-287.
... so that's in Morris county, which is fine. With the exception of a few towns I only find Morris County desirable place to live in North Jersey.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:24 PM

455 posts, read 1,163,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
... so that's in Morris county, which is fine. With the exception of a few towns I only find Morris County desirable place to live in North Jersey.

Agree,

Also I find in the last year or so in Bergen County the tailgaters have become extremely aggressive.
Years ago it was a fun relaxing place to drive... no more.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:17 PM

14 posts, read 4,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
^^ When I went to Hoboken a few months ago, literally every other person had a college hoody on...really took me back! The place just screamed, "Bro, imma 23 year old college grad with a Machelors in Dildonics.. lemme know what you majored in so i can add u on snapchat".

I loved the waterfront area of City. Its like a cleaner, newer and more utopian version of Manhattan.
I agree that there is that scene here (especially around the PATH), but my unscientific, completely anecdotal guestimate is that 75-85% of the bro culture is actually imported via the NJ Transit lines that terminate here with kids coming in from the suburbs to party. I've lived in one of the mega-buildings in the northeast corner, and now in a smaller condo building in the dead middle of town, and have yet to meet anyone who actually lives here that fits that description. It's like the whole lower-half of town is invaded on the weekends.

I mean, I'm sure there are some bro-types that live here, but Hoboken's current demographics seem more in-line with Park Slope than Staten Island. Unfortunately the nightlife doesn't reflect that.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:59 AM

500 posts, read 403,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
I agree that there is that scene here (especially around the PATH), but my unscientific, completely anecdotal guestimate is that 75-85% of the bro culture is actually imported via the NJ Transit lines that terminate here with kids coming in from the suburbs to party. I've lived in one of the mega-buildings in the northeast corner, and now in a smaller condo building in the dead middle of town, and have yet to meet anyone who actually lives here that fits that description. It's like the whole lower-half of town is invaded on the weekends.

I mean, I'm sure there are some bro-types that live here, but Hoboken's current demographics seem more in-line with Park Slope than Staten Island. Unfortunately the nightlife doesn't reflect that.

Yeah, totally agree. Except for the actual college students at Stevens (and honestly, from what I've seen they skew more Asian), no one that I know that actually lives in Hoboken fits that description. But Hoboken has a lot of bars concentrated in that one area by the PATH, so it attracts young people from elsewhere in NJ who want to party. Any other restaurant/bar in town away from the PATH isn't like that at all. You just see normal late 20-early 40s people. Check out Grand Vin, Stingray Lounge, Antique. Young professionals and young parents on a night out are the usual crowd. I mean, yeah....people wear hoodies. My non-white, pushing 40, Dad of 2 husband wears hoodies on weekends when it's cold. But he's far from a frat bro.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:47 PM

6,376 posts, read 15,805,770 times
Same here. A hoodie is my "running out to Duane Reade real quick" uniform.

Old 01-19-2019, 12:53 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,275,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post

I would say its a mix. Hoboken is definitely a Bro town and many live there. However over the last 10 years it has changed as the stroller mafia is slowly taking over. So the town is getting older as people get married and have kids but dont want to move to the burbs yet. But on weekends the bros from all of NJ to flock to Hoboken as has always been the case.

Of course you always have the option of just going into the city. a good portion of the town does this and rarely hangs out local.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:40 PM

50 posts, read 26,663 times
sounds like you'd be good in piermont, new york, nyack, tarrytown, or ossining, which has some luxurious town house community on the hudson, even though sing sing is right up the hill. mount kisco would be a cheaper option. even yonkers has a few options right by the train station if you're adventurous enough. $700,000 would get you an opulent condo in the leafy riverdale section of the bronx, and the taxation would be far less. fort lee would also be an option, although its pace is frenetic, indeed, as is river edge, edgewater, and cliffside park, along the river road vicinity. what of monsey, new york or suffern?

Old 01-22-2019, 01:08 PM

52 posts, read 15,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
Englewood Cliffs has nothing under $1 million. What scares be about that is not only are you paying a bunch for the house but the taxes are going to be outrageous.

No one mentions CLiffside Park. Is it exactly like the other communities?

actually, the taxes are lower in EC... part of the reason why the houses are more expensive.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:15 PM

52 posts, read 15,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikan View Post
But take a look at this map: This will tell you a lot about what to expect in each area you mentioned. You can zoom in and out. Educational Attainment in America

there should be some red or orange dots in central park as I'm sure I saw a few hobos living there that did not appear very educated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or