U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 03:31 AM

18,321 posts, read 15,403,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnysalami View Post
Unironically, yes. The low birth rate among the middle and upper classes in developed countries has been directly responsible of many economic and social problems today.
What social problems do the middle and upper classes have that more kids would solve? What economic problems do upper classes have that more kids would solve? Even middle classes...how would my mom be better off today if she had 4 kids instead of two?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 08:36 AM

5,950 posts, read 13,519,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnysalami View Post
Unironically, yes. The low birth rate among the middle and upper classes in developed countries has been directly responsible of many economic and social problems today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
What social problems do the middle and upper classes have that more kids would solve? What economic problems do upper classes have that more kids would solve? Even middle classes...how would my mom be better off today if she had 4 kids instead of two?
I think he's referring to not enough young people to support social safety nets that benefit retirees. Three parts to this. 1) A big solution would be to pay Americans a higher wage. That way, more money could be paid to raise our own children, plus a bigger dollar amount paid to social programs. 2) Raise taxes on the wealthy all across the US to better fund these social programs. 3) Don't ban immigrants from coming here. We should accept more immigrants if we're really worried the low birth rate. They will increase the population without requiring other Americans to have kids they don't want. And, if I remember correctly, birth rates among immigrants groups are higher than among native born Americans. But this choice is a retiree's worst nightmare--either lose their Medicare or allow more minorities into the US. Such a dilemma for them

Old 01-15-2019, 08:56 AM

13,609 posts, read 14,684,255 times
Quote:
From a societal standpoint higher birthrate is good as long as it's a higher rate of tax donors as opposed to tax supported recipients.

That's why we should be choosy as to who we let immigrate to the US.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I think he's referring to not enough young people to support social safety nets that benefit retirees. Three parts to this. 1) A big solution would be to pay Americans a higher wage. That way, more money could be paid to raise our own children, plus a bigger dollar amount paid to social programs. 2) Raise taxes on the wealthy all across the US to better fund these social programs. 3) Don't ban immigrants from coming here. We should accept more immigrants if we're really worried the low birth rate. They will increase the population without requiring other Americans to have kids they don't want. And, if I remember correctly, birth rates among immigrants groups are higher than among native born Americans. But this choice is a retiree's worst nightmare--either lose their Medicare or allow more minorities into the US. Such a dilemma for them
Ah, now I see. I like all your proposed solutions, too.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:24 AM

23,164 posts, read 29,138,314 times
that is because we fund today's benefits from today's workers. if the government actually saved the money and didnt spend it; the people collecting SS wouldnt be so dependent on today's workers to fund their retirement.

there are a lot of moving parts to the claim that higher birth rate is better for the finances of the country. i think its kind of ridiculous to look at it through the prism that our lying corrupt government set up. we wouldnt have that problem if they didnt **** away the money.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
that is because we fund today's benefits from today's workers. if the government actually saved the money and didnt spend it; the people collecting SS wouldnt be so dependent on today's workers to fund their retirement.

there are a lot of moving parts to the claim that higher birth rate is better for the finances of the country. i think its kind of ridiculous to look at it through the prism that our lying corrupt government set up. we wouldnt have that problem if they didnt **** away the money.
I agree with you. Didn't Christie Todd Whitman take a good chunk of a NJ pension fund?

Old 01-15-2019, 01:52 PM

23,164 posts, read 29,138,314 times
Quote:
I agree with you. Didn't Christie Todd Whitman take a good chunk of a NJ pension fund?
im not sure how the mechanics would work of actually taking the money from a pension fund. the more likely scenario seems to be just under funding the pension fund and spending money elsewhere. that is different than the social security situation and i would propose legal mandates on funding and transfer money from a defined benefit to a defined contribution plan.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im not sure how the mechanics would work of actually taking the money from a pension fund. the more likely scenario seems to be just under funding the pension fund and spending money elsewhere. that is different than the social security situation and i would propose legal mandates on funding and transfer money from a defined benefit to a defined contribution plan.
Apparently she used the pension funds to balance the budget: https://www.nytimes.com/1995/02/22/o...he-future.html

Old 01-15-2019, 04:26 PM

13,879 posts, read 16,498,876 times
Quote:
Apparently she used the pension funds to balance the budget: https://www.nytimes.com/1995/02/22/o...he-future.html
… and she never repaid the funds that she looted from the pension funds, thus leading us to the state's severe fiscal problems since she left office.

Incidentally, before she decided to loot the pension funds in order to make her budgetary balance sheet look good, she did consult with a respected firm of actuaries, which cautioned her to NOT do what she had proposed. So, Chrissy-Baby consulted with a second actuarial firm, which told her the same thing, ergo--you will destabilize the state's fiscal position over the long-term if you pursue this hare-brained idea.

Finally, she consulted with the actuarial firm of Buck Associates--which has long-term ties to her late husband's family--and they gave her the green light to loot the state's pension funds.

The moral of the story is... don't seek advice from Buck Associates, and don't trust Repugnicans to be fiscally responsible.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:31 PM

1,310 posts, read 868,334 times
Quote:
Bet she's collecting a state pension and a federal one now though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or