U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 07:57 AM

14,365 posts, read 4,454,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
This post made me chuckle, as I agree 1000% with the OP. I wonít set foot in Acme or Stop & Shop for the very reasons posted. And, 3+ years after A&P/Pathmark went belly-up, the store ďrenovationsĒ still pretty much consist of Acme logos taped over A&P/Pathmark logos.

Sadly, they likely wonít be going anywhere soon, as while most of the buildings and offerings are wretched at both chains, the locations are excellent... primarily in middle/upper middle-class burbs without other supermarkets close by.

In a few days, a brand new Shop-Rite is due to open in Wyckoff, right behind a Stop & Shop. DAT should be fun to watch. Ahold Delhaize, Stop & Shopís parent company fought in court for about a decade to prevent the Shop-Rite from being built. A former A&P building on the site was vacant for about 20 years. Iím glad itís finally happening.

Maybe this will cause at least the Wyckoff Stop & Shop to pack it in. It would be a start.

Actually you have some facts but they are mixed up. Royal Ahold/Delhaze has been fighting with Millburn and Springfield over their property of the Old Saks 5th ave site for closer to 30 years and it's not done yet. The property is actually in Springfield but Millburn will not allow an entrance off of Millburn Ave.
All Grocers fight over zoning and such it's what is done . There are more than enough customers to handle a new grocery store and history shows the deals usually get better at the older existing grocer so check your ads. While Stop&Shop has turned the corner and is doing very well Acme is not doing as well they are maintaining but not growing their base . The grocery business is tougher than ever with Walmart and Target now in there add in the Warehouse big box stores it's a tough business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 08:45 AM

52,625 posts, read 51,764,775 times
We have a new Lidl, too, but I haven't been to it yet. It's had the big rat and the picketers in front of it since it opened. That's not necessarily why I haven't gone yet. I meant to, but I just keep passing it on the way to elsewhere.

I have a Trader Joe's nearby also. But the ShopRite might take away some of my trips to Wegman's. ShopRite has a lot of the same things, and ever since Wegman's took away their Mediterranean Bar, I haven't had the urge to drive the 15 minutes to get there. That was my main reason for visiting Wegman's.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:03 AM

1,913 posts, read 556,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We have a new Lidl, too, but I haven't been to it yet. It's had the big rat and the picketers in front of it since it opened. That's not necessarily why I haven't gone yet. I meant to, but I just keep passing it on the way to elsewhere.

I have a Trader Joe's nearby also. But the ShopRite might take away some of my trips to Wegman's. ShopRite has a lot of the same things, and ever since Wegman's took away their Mediterranean Bar, I haven't had the urge to drive the 15 minutes to get there. That was my main reason for visiting Wegman's.
Is it open now? I remember driving by the construction last summer. I don't have one near me and hear good things about it. We had an ACME near me that closed down right before I moved in, but I went there once and it was no great loss. Now I alternate between Shop Rite, TJ's, Wegman's and Whole Foods. Our Wegman's still has the Mediterranean Bar though. We also have a Risoldi's, which looks like it may be on its way out, but is still good for some things. I think there's one of those on 35 south of Red Bank.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:00 PM

857 posts, read 405,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
They are the oldest grocer in the area so they have a great retail footprint, however their selection is horrible, prices are outrageous and the stores dont have any soul. Please stop shopping here so some of the stores close down and we get better grocer choices.
Maybe they were sold to Satan in exchange for keeping out whole Foods Market.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:04 PM

3,958 posts, read 1,528,822 times
Quote:
LOL.

We didn't have to wait for them to close down. ShopRite went ahead and built one of their "World Class" giant stores across and up the street a bit. They can't possibly compete.

It's a shame. They were a good store in my 'hood before they took over the A&P and closed the other store. Then they hired a lot of people on the spectrum--a move of which I am very supportive--but they didn't seem to ever have any management overseeing the front end. So, I'd go in at 8 at night, one cashier is open who doesn't appear to be aware that her line is snaking back into frozen foods, and the person at the customer service desk is staring at the ceiling twirling a pen in her ear. No one else in sight.
This x100. I used to go to that spot to grab something after 9 when Foodtown was closed since it was only spot open. Figured, oh it's 1030PM and I need milk and water, I'll be in and out in 5 min. Smash cut to 10 people ahead of me inline with only one register open, no self checkout and everyone else employed there standing around counting the marks on the ceiling...really glad to NEVER have to go there again.I put a pin in terrible dirty, outdated physical spot, terrible selection, and crazy prices as well.
Oh and the parking lot was scary as hell.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Is it open now? I remember driving by the construction last summer. I don't have one near me and hear good things about it. We had an ACME near me that closed down right before I moved in, but I went there once and it was no great loss. Now I alternate between Shop Rite, TJ's, Wegman's and Whole Foods. Our Wegman's still has the Mediterranean Bar though. We also have a Risoldi's, which looks like it may be on its way out, but is still good for some things. I think there's one of those on 35 south of Red Bank.
Really. I have never seen it, but I've never heard of it, either. I thought I knew everything on 35 south of Red Bank.

Will check that out.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:59 PM

1,913 posts, read 556,846 times
Quote:
Really. I have never seen it, but I've never heard of it, either. I thought I knew everything on 35 south of Red Bank.

Will check that out.
Since you didnít know it, I looked it up. My bad. Livotiís not Risoldiís.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Since you didn’t know it, I looked it up. My bad. Livoti’s not Risoldi’s.
Huh, don't know that one, either.

ETA, looked it up. I see one in Middletown (which would have to be NORTH of Red Bank ) Looks good. I can't believe I didn't know of this place.

Old Yesterday, 09:39 AM

13,839 posts, read 16,466,153 times
If you posed a question regarding Acme supermarkets to a Hudson County resident aged 60 or older, he/she would probably give you a puzzled look, because the preferred pronunciation for that supermarket in their younger years was Ac-Ah-Me. That's where they went to buy their Rev-Ah-Lon cosmetics.

Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM

3,958 posts, read 1,528,822 times
Quote:
Huh, don't know that one, either.

ETA, looked it up. I see one in Middletown (which would have to be NORTH of Red Bank ) Looks good. I can't believe I didn't know of this place.

Livotis is awesome...great for Italian specialties.....they carry Pastosa products as well which are great....
blows away the Jimmy Pecci type places in our area....and then you have J & M across the street for a great bakery...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey