U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 06:36 PM

14,394 posts, read 4,465,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Safeway’s original East Coast representation was Genuardi’s in Philly metro when they acquired them in the 90’s. Those stores were bad. I can’t speak to Safeway on the West Coast, as I have never been there. Acme has existed for a long time as an independent company. A few years ago, they got bought out by Albertsons, and so did Safeway. So pretty much these stores historically never had any relationship to each other until recently, and they still operate as their own separate divisions, which is why they can appear so different from each other.
I have to correct you here. Maybe in the NY metropolitan area but Safeway has been on the East coast in the DC Maryland, VA area for over 50 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 06:44 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,192,828 times
Beep, beep!

Old 01-09-2019, 06:46 PM

1,922 posts, read 560,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Safeway on the West Cost is Vons

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vons
There are both. I lived there for 25 years. Please.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:48 PM

14,394 posts, read 4,465,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
There are both. I lived there for 25 years. Please.
Yes there are ,just pointing out that the Parent Company is Safeway.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:22 PM

52,644 posts, read 51,793,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Sorry, when I'm on 35 it all becomes a blur...
I can see why. It's so cluttered. But I live just south of Red Bank, and my friend lives in Middletown, so I know I have to drive north to get to her.

Plus I go to Red Bank for certain things I buy, the most frequent one being the Wine Cellar. They do good deals. Earth Spirit next door, too. Also bought the S.O. some new and vintage vinyl for Xmas at Jack's Music Shop. I could have spent the whole day in there.

So...we've moved on from supermarkets to music. Oops. Um yeah, there's a Foodtown in Red Bank, that's what I meant to say, yeah, that's the ticket...

Old 01-09-2019, 09:26 PM

23,431 posts, read 22,421,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
No, that video related to stereotypical pronunciations of older Italian-Americans. Hudson County oldsters of every ethnic group had a tendency to insert an "A" into the middle of many words. Other examples would be their pronunciation of paraplegic as parap-ah-legic, or their pronunciation of athlete as ath-ah-lete.
I grew up in Northeastern PA and heard that daily. Mom, thanks mom, made sure that I learned how to pronounce words correctly.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I can see why. It's so cluttered. But I live just south of Red Bank, and my friend lives in Middletown, so I know I have to drive north to get to her.

Plus I go to Red Bank for certain things I buy, the most frequent one being the Wine Cellar. They do good deals. Earth Spirit next door, too. Also bought the S.O. some new and vintage vinyl for Xmas at Jack's Music Shop. I could have spent the whole day in there.

So...we've moved on from supermarkets to music. Oops. Um yeah, there's a Foodtown in Red Bank, that's what I meant to say, yeah, that's the ticket...
Jack’s Music Shop. Adding to the list....thanks!

Old 01-10-2019, 09:32 AM

23,149 posts, read 29,110,303 times
Quote:

cluttered? i love 35. sure, it could use some more interesting restaurant options but for a family it makes picking up things super convenient to have 35 close by.

a lot of times on the local facebook pages when some new store is opening on 35, people say that they should open on 36 instead. thats fine if they want to end up going out of business but if they want to stay in business; much better chance on 35.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:41 PM

20,976 posts, read 26,200,986 times
Quote:
We have a new Lidl, too, but I haven't been to it yet. It's had the big rat and the picketers in front of it since it opened. That's not necessarily why I haven't gone yet. I meant to, but I just keep passing it on the way to elsewhere.

I have a Trader Joe's nearby also. But the ShopRite might take away some of my trips to Wegman's. ShopRite has a lot of the same things, and ever since Wegman's took away their Mediterranean Bar, I haven't had the urge to drive the 15 minutes to get there. That was my main reason for visiting Wegman's.
The Vineland store has the rat, too. I don't know why, they don't do that with Aldi.

Lidl is similar but different than Aldi. If you do the two, your contact with regular supermarkets is minimal. (Trader Joe's counts as Aldi)

Old 01-10-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The Vineland store has the rat, too. I don't know why, they don't do that with Aldi.

Lidl is similar but different than Aldi. If you do the two, your contact with regular supermarkets is minimal. (Trader Joe's counts as Aldi)
Do you mean they're similar stores as in product offerings? I went to my first one recently and was a little disappointed, tbh. I bought a few things, but I can't see replacing my trips to TJ's with Aldi. I know they are owned by the same company if that's what you meant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey