U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 01:00 PM

20,997 posts, read 26,240,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Do you mean they're similar stores as in product offerings? I went to my first one recently and was a little disappointed, tbh. I bought a few things, but I can't see replacing my trips to TJ's with Aldi. I know they are owned by the same company if that's what you meant.
There are 2 Aldis. Aldi Nord owns Trader Joe's. The regular Aldis are in the middle of chain-wide remodels and expansion of the chain. Really, just google Aldi. Lidl competes directly with both Aldis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 01:07 PM

1,936 posts, read 565,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
There are 2 Aldis. Aldi Nord owns Trader Joe's. The regular Aldis are in the middle of chain-wide remodels and expansion of the chain. Really, just google Aldi. Lidl competes directly with both Aldis.
I did that, thanks.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I did that, thanks.
The post that I responded to was about Lidl. I referenced Aldis and said that that included Trader Joe's. If that wasn't clear enough, I apologize.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:00 PM

18,321 posts, read 15,403,991 times
Just out of curiosity, the Acmes here give a 5% discount if you wear Eagles clothing on a game day. Do they do the same thing up there for Giants fans?

Old 01-10-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
The post that I responded to was about Lidl. I referenced Aldis and said that that included Trader Joe's. If that wasn't clear enough, I apologize.
I might have misunderstood. That said, I'm not anywhere near a Lidl or an Aldi's, so sticking with TJ's for now .

Old 01-10-2019, 04:07 PM

14,413 posts, read 4,492,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Just out of curiosity, the Acmes here give a 5% discount if you wear Eagles clothing on a game day. Do they do the same thing up there for Giants fans?
Seriously?So they discriminate against anyone that is either a fan of a different team or doesn't like football, are you sure?

Old 01-10-2019, 04:58 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,363,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Great... a 5% discount on items that are triple the price and 1/3 the quality of comparable items at Shop-Rite.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I might have misunderstood. That said, I'm not anywhere near a Lidl or an Aldi's, so sticking with TJ's for now .
Lidl recently bought up a couple of dozen stores in the NYC metro. They're on the way. If Aldi hasn't done remodels in that area, it's going to happen quickly.

I find that I can do about 75% of my shopping between Aldi and Lidl. That means less shopping at regular supermarkets. Don't like Acme? Soon there will be more options. Oh, and the addition of Lidl scares the bejesus out of Walmart.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Lidl recently bought up a couple of dozen stores in the NYC metro. They're on the way. If Aldi hasn't done remodels in that area, it's going to happen quickly.

I find that I can do about 75% of my shopping between Aldi and Lidl. That means less shopping at regular supermarkets. Don't like Acme? Soon there will be more options. Oh, and the addition of Lidl scares the bejesus out of Walmart.
I checked out Lidl’s website and can see why. But to my original question, having recently gone to an Aldi, I would definitely pick Trader Joe’s over Aldi. Maybe the Aldi I went to was atypical or one of the ones slated to be remodeled.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:03 PM

13,879 posts, read 16,498,876 times
Quote:
I checked out Lidl’s website and can see why. But to my original question, having recently gone to an Aldi, I would definitely pick Trader Joe’s over Aldi. Maybe the Aldi I went to was atypical or one of the ones slated to be remodeled.
I could not possibly do all of my grocery shopping at ALDI (or, as some people erroneously say... "Aldi's"), but it is a good place to find certain items (usually imported from Germany, Austria, or Belgium), that might not be available at other venues. Their German baked goods and chocolates, their Austrian mustards, and their Belgian preserves are far better--and cheaper--than what can be sourced from their US-based competitors.

That being said, I have heard that LIDL has a broader selection of products than ALDI has, and that it is possible to do most--if not all--of one's grocery shopping at LIDL. Can anyone confirm whether that is accurate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey