U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 07:18 PM

20,995 posts, read 26,240,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I could not possibly do all of my grocery shopping at ALDI (or, as some people erroneously say... "Aldi's"), but it is a good place to find certain items (usually imported from Germany, Austria, or Belgium), that might not be available at other venues. Their German baked goods and chocolates, their Austrian mustards, and their Belgian preserves are far better--and cheaper--than what can be sourced from their US-based competitors.

That being said, I have heard that LIDL has a broader selection of products than ALDI has, and that it is possible to do most--if not all--of one's grocery shopping at LIDL. Can anyone confirm whether that is accurate?
I've been shopping at a pair of Aldi and Lidl stores for over a year. I can do about 75% of my shopping between the two. Some months it varies.

Lidl has a small bakery in the front of the store, by the produce. Lidl has the weekly specials like Aldi. Off the top of my head, Lidl does Italian week, Greek week, Middle eastern week, British week, French week, Asian week, and probably a couple of others, on rotation.

After the remodels are done, Aldi stores have considerably more inventory.

In my opinion, Aldi carries more Americanized foreign products. They've been here much longer.

How much shopping you do at each one will depend on what you like and the weekly specials. Some months I get more from Aldi, some months I get more from Lidl.

If you get a Lidl in immediate proximity to an Aldi shop at the pair, because they will be going head to head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 11:19 PM

52,705 posts, read 51,863,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
cluttered? i love 35. sure, it could use some more interesting restaurant options but for a family it makes picking up things super convenient to have 35 close by.

a lot of times on the local facebook pages when some new store is opening on 35, people say that they should open on 36 instead. thats fine if they want to end up going out of business but if they want to stay in business; much better chance on 35.
Yes, I know. I could spit to 35 from where I live. Everything is available. But it is cluttered.

Old 01-11-2019, 04:33 AM

14,413 posts, read 4,487,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, I know. I could spit to 35 from where I live. Everything is available. But it is cluttered.
Yup as is 34 and 71 ,that whole area is getting to be a cluster!

Old 01-11-2019, 06:14 AM

18,312 posts, read 15,403,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Seriously?So they discriminate against anyone that is either a fan of a different team or doesn't like football, are you sure?
Yes I am sure. See the 3rd promo down https://www.acmemarkets.com/promotions-sweepstakes/

Old 01-11-2019, 07:12 AM

14,413 posts, read 4,487,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes I am sure. See the 3rd promo down https://www.acmemarkets.com/promotions-sweepstakes/
I apologise ,I've seen promotions like that backfire before so I was curious,thanks.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I apologise ,I've seen promotions like that backfire before so I was curious,thanks.
They have a lot of Eagles stuff in the stores, they sell everything from t-shirts to balloons to cakes with the Eagles on them. This weekend youíll be able to buy probably a dozen different green and white bakery items. They must have a partnership. I donít know how far north Acme extends, I was just wondering what they do when (if) the store reaches Giants country.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:22 AM

713 posts, read 557,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They have a lot of Eagles stuff in the stores, they sell everything from t-shirts to balloons to cakes with the Eagles on them. This weekend youíll be able to buy probably a dozen different green and white bakery items. They must have a partnership. I donít know how far north Acme extends, I was just wondering what they do when (if) the store reaches Giants country.
Acme IS in Giants country now. They bought out most of the old A&P/PathMark stores after that company folded. Itís been that way for a few years now. I imagine they have Giants/Jets stuff there. But I wouldnít know for sure because I donít step foot inside of Acmes lol.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Acme IS in Giants country now. They bought out most of the old A&P/PathMark stores after that company folded. Itís been that way for a few years now. I imagine they have Giants/Jets stuff there. But I wouldnít know for sure because I donít step foot inside of Acmes lol.
Ahhh I wish you would, just to let me know!

Old 01-11-2019, 12:33 PM

6,339 posts, read 4,188,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We have a new Lidl, too, but I haven't been to it yet. It's had the big rat and the picketers in front of it since it opened. That's not necessarily why I haven't gone yet. I meant to, but I just keep passing it on the way to elsewhere.

I have a Trader Joe's nearby also. But the ShopRite might take away some of my trips to Wegman's. ShopRite has a lot of the same things, and ever since Wegman's took away their Mediterranean Bar, I haven't had the urge to drive the 15 minutes to get there. That was my main reason for visiting Wegman's.

I've been to that one on 35 south when they were picketing which was the only time I've been to a Lidl, but personally I still like Aldi more.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:31 AM

52,705 posts, read 51,863,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
There is an Acme in Midland Park (NW Bergen County). It's one of the ones that used to be an A&P. It's a pretty nice store, but with a renovated, bigger Stop & Shop and a brandy-new ShopRite in neighboring Wyckoff, it will get some competition. There's also a King's in Midland Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey