U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 04:49 PM

14,412 posts, read 4,487,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There is an Acme in Midland Park (NW Bergen County). It's one of the ones that used to be an A&P. It's a pretty nice store, but with a renovated, bigger Stop & Shop and a brandy-new ShopRite in neighboring Wyckoff, it will get some competition. There's also a King's in Midland Park.

I admit I like Kings ,they do everything right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 06:58 PM

88 posts, read 74,299 times
Wow.. we have 3 Acmes within 10 miles of my house.. and 3 shoprites... (I live in food store overkill)... and the Acmes are much nicer and cleaner....

Old 01-14-2019, 02:25 PM

859 posts, read 661,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marehoodlum View Post
Wow.. we have 3 Acmes within 10 miles of my house.. and 3 shoprites... (I live in food store overkill)... and the Acmes are much nicer and cleaner....
Most Shoprites are very nice, but I've realized they have different owners.

Old Yesterday, 06:37 AM

23,469 posts, read 22,451,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Most Shoprites are very nice, but I've realized they have different owners.
I learned about the independent ownership when my son worked at one when he was in high school. I had wondered why I could buy a product at one store and not the other.

Old Yesterday, 07:01 AM

13,874 posts, read 16,494,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I learned about the independent ownership when my son worked at one when he was in high school. I had wondered why I could buy a product at one store and not the other.
Yup!
ShopRite is essentially a buying co-op to which many different store owners belong. What they have in common is that they all display the ShopRite sign and they all carry ShopRite's house brands. Where they differ is in the architectural style, the layout of the stores, their product selection, and--sometimes--the cleanliness.

In Central NJ, the two dominant ShopRite "chains" are Saker and Village Supermarkets. You can tell which ones are owned by the Saker folks because they tend to be larger, they call themselves "World-Class", and they look like a Turkish bazaar because of the myriad of scattered displays and the handmade signs. I much prefer the slightly smaller Village Supermarkets stores because they tend to be much neater than the Saker stores.

Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM

13,874 posts, read 16,494,016 times
For those who live in Jersey City, you should be aware of the filthy conditions at this supermarket:
https://www.nj.com/hudson/2019/01/supermarket-closed-after-city-reports-finding-expired-baby-formula-black-mold-dirty-meat-slicer.html

Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM

52,705 posts, read 51,849,430 times
Quote:
Ah, that explains it.

There is ONE thing that I would drive to West Long Branch to buy at the ShopRite there--Amy's Vegetable Pot Pies.

When they opened the new ShopRite near me, I went to look. They have a freezer case full of Amy's products, but not that one. They had a notebook set up so that you could request something you didn't find in the store, and you could leave a phone number and email and they would contact you when it came in.

Well, that was two months ago. They still don't have it, and they didn't contact me.

I stopped by the Customer Service Desk one day about a month ago because there was a manager there. He told me, "Oh yes, I can get that."

Never did. I mean, I would have bought a few and stuck them in my freezer. So they lie about this, which is dumb. If you can't get it, just say so.

Fortunately, I since found the pot pies at a Dean's Natural Market that is closer than the WLB ShopRite.

Old Yesterday, 11:22 PM

23,469 posts, read 22,451,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ah, that explains it.

There is ONE thing that I would drive to West Long Branch to buy at the ShopRite there--Amy's Vegetable Pot Pies.

When they opened the new ShopRite near me, I went to look. They have a freezer case full of Amy's products, but not that one. They had a notebook set up so that you could request something you didn't find in the store, and you could leave a phone number and email and they would contact you when it came in.

Well, that was two months ago. They still don't have it, and they didn't contact me.

I stopped by the Customer Service Desk one day about a month ago because there was a manager there. He told me, "Oh yes, I can get that."

Never did. I mean, I would have bought a few and stuck them in my freezer. So they lie about this, which is dumb. If you can't get it, just say so.

Fortunately, I since found the pot pies at a Dean's Natural Market that is closer than the WLB ShopRite.
I don't think that they care. I know that they didn't care at the time in the place where my son had a problem. He found some glass chips in his China Express (or whatever it was called) take out. The lawyers were all over me telling me that they'd pay for any medical expenses. He had spit out the small glass pieces and had no problems. I told them that it would nice if they gave him a gift certificate. He got a gift certificate to China Express. Seriously? They were an independent vendor in the store, and probably got hammered by the group.

I never shopped there or in any of their other stores again. There were plenty of other places to buy groceries.

Old Yesterday, 11:55 PM

1,930 posts, read 563,984 times
Quote:
I don't think that they care. I know that they didn't care at the time in the place where my son had a problem. He found some glass chips in his China Express (or whatever it was called) take out. The lawyers were all over me telling me that they'd pay for any medical expenses. He had spit out the small glass pieces and had no problems. I told them that it would nice if they gave him a gift certificate. He got a gift certificate to China Express. Seriously? They were an independent vendor in the store, and probably got hammered by the group.

I never shopped there or in any of their other stores again. There were plenty of other places to buy groceries.
Yikes!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey