Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 09:12 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times

Advertisements

aldi is my primary supermarket. the new one in hazlet is nice. a little more selection than the older one across the street. the biggest change they made though was more space. the aisles are wider.

i havent been to lidl yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 11:07 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Huh, don't know that one, either.

ETA, looked it up. I see one in Middletown (which would have to be NORTH of Red Bank ) Looks good. I can't believe I didn't know of this place.
Sorry, when I'm on 35 it all becomes a blur...

Old 01-09-2019, 11:25 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
If you posed a question regarding Acme supermarkets to a Hudson County resident aged 60 or older, he/she would probably give you a puzzled look, because the preferred pronunciation for that supermarket in their younger years was Ac-Ah-Me. That's where they went to buy their Rev-Ah-Lon cosmetics.
Reminds me of: https://youtu.be/dNIM2ptuDLU

Old 01-09-2019, 11:30 AM

On the left coast, ACME = Safeway and they're really good stores. Cross between Wegman's and Shop Rite. Seems odd there would be such a disparity between coasts.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:07 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
On the left coast, ACME = Safeway and they're really good stores. Cross between Wegman's and Shop Rite. Seems odd there would be such a disparity between coasts.
Safeway’s original East Coast representation was Genuardi’s in Philly metro when they acquired them in the 90’s. Those stores were bad. I can’t speak to Safeway on the West Coast, as I have never been there. Acme has existed for a long time as an independent company. A few years ago, they got bought out by Albertsons, and so did Safeway. So pretty much these stores historically never had any relationship to each other until recently, and they still operate as their own separate divisions, which is why they can appear so different from each other.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:27 PM

1,839 posts, read 677,172 times
There was an overlap between Safeway and Acme in Delaware, under the same parent company. One example was a Safeway in 2522 Foulk Rd, Wilmington, DE 19810, was across the street from Acme in 2098 Naamans Road, Wilmington 19810. I figured Safeway would close (and it did) but it was kept open for quite a bit of time.

According to yelp, the Foulk Rd site is Permanently Closed. It appears just as of 3 months ago:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Delaware/co...ngton_closing/

From safeway.com, it appears Safeway is no longer in the Wilmington-Newark DE region, but it is present in Baltimore, but Baltimore has no Acme. Some overlap in central/lower DE and eastern MD still exists: A Safeway is there in Dover, DE while Acme in Smyrna, DE

I just remember Safeway had Starbucks kiosks inside, and was a little more gourmet/upscale/expensive leaning, while Acme was more traditional.

Acme originally had a sparse number of stores in Central and Northern NJ and I guess it acquired a lot of A&P stores in poor shape. Maybe it will divest these stores eventually to Stop&Shop or Wakefern.

It's core is west of Philly, while ShopRite is east of it, and Acme seems to do okay in areas without Wegmans. I think people prefer it over ShopRite for the meats, and it does well when the nearby ShopRite (if there is one) is small or uninspiring, or has the inferior location of the two. It also has a lot of more grocery anchored neighborhood stores. In South Jersey, it's still competes against ShopRite, but Walmart Supercenter is strong in certain areas like around Deptford and Egg Harbor Twp, so it's likely putting a dent on Acme as well.

Last edited by g555; 01-09-2019 at 02:06 PM..

Old 01-09-2019, 02:20 PM

1,839 posts, read 677,172 times
I wondered if Albertsons could introduce Safeway to Northern-Central NJ and replace Acme for the more recognized banner Safeway, but the hold up might be ability to sell liquor. The Safeways in California can sell it in every store. Even the CVS stores have it there. In NJ, there is a law where only two stores of a chain can sell it. Not being able to sell it state wide cuts into potential profitability.

I don't know Acme's strengths in Northern NJ, but it probably exists but Albertsons might not put too much interest in staying competitive. It's probably more status quo and if a store is underperforming, close it. If there is no more synergies left, sell out as many stores to ShopRite, Stop&Shop or another union grocery store, close any remaining.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:37 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
No, that video related to stereotypical pronunciations of older Italian-Americans. Hudson County oldsters of every ethnic group had a tendency to insert an "A" into the middle of many words. Other examples would be their pronunciation of paraplegic as parap-ah-legic, or their pronunciation of athlete as ath-ah-lete.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Safeway’s original East Coast representation was Genuardi’s in Philly metro when they acquired them in the 90’s. Those stores were bad. I can’t speak to Safeway on the West Coast, as I have never been there. Acme has existed for a long time as an independent company. A few years ago, they got bought out by Albertsons, and so did Safeway. So pretty much these stores historically never had any relationship to each other until recently, and they still operate as their own separate divisions, which is why they can appear so different from each other.
Their in house brands are identical and my rewards card works at both stores.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:34 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Safeway on the West Cost is Vons

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey