U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 10:56 AM

835 posts, read 656,793 times

Advertisements

They are the oldest grocer in the area so they have a great retail footprint, however their selection is horrible, prices are outrageous and the stores dont have any soul. Please stop shopping here so some of the stores close down and we get better grocer choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 11:11 AM

1,236 posts, read 731,716 times
Ok.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:42 PM

52,613 posts, read 51,749,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Ok.
LOL.

We didn't have to wait for them to close down. ShopRite went ahead and built one of their "World Class" giant stores across and up the street a bit. They can't possibly compete.

It's a shame. They were a good store in my 'hood before they took over the A&P and closed the other store. Then they hired a lot of people on the spectrum--a move of which I am very supportive--but they didn't seem to ever have any management overseeing the front end. So, I'd go in at 8 at night, one cashier is open who doesn't appear to be aware that her line is snaking back into frozen foods, and the person at the customer service desk is staring at the ceiling twirling a pen in her ear. No one else in sight.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:20 PM

6,328 posts, read 15,702,066 times
My only complaint about Acme is that they never have handheld baskets available at the front door. Always have to walk over to the registers to find one.

Despite that gripe, here in Jersey City, they're better than any alternative.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:10 PM

1,052 posts, read 2,360,087 times
This post made me chuckle, as I agree 1000% with the OP. I won’t set foot in Acme or Stop & Shop for the very reasons posted. And, 3+ years after A&P/Pathmark went belly-up, the store “renovations” still pretty much consist of Acme logos taped over A&P/Pathmark logos.

Sadly, they likely won’t be going anywhere soon, as while most of the buildings and offerings are wretched at both chains, the locations are excellent... primarily in middle/upper middle-class burbs without other supermarkets close by.

In a few days, a brand new Shop-Rite is due to open in Wyckoff, right behind a Stop & Shop. DAT should be fun to watch. Ahold Delhaize, Stop & Shop’s parent company fought in court for about a decade to prevent the Shop-Rite from being built. A former A&P building on the site was vacant for about 20 years. I’m glad it’s finally happening.

Maybe this will cause at least the Wyckoff Stop & Shop to pack it in. It would be a start.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:55 PM

9,389 posts, read 14,157,058 times
All the grocery stores here are bad. Nadir, Shop Wrong, Stop Shopping, King's Ransom, Whole Paycheck, the whole bunch. Either high prices, bad selection, lousy quality, or some combination of the three.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:56 PM

52,613 posts, read 51,749,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
This post made me chuckle, as I agree 1000% with the OP. I won’t set foot in Acme or Stop & Shop for the very reasons posted. And, 3+ years after A&P/Pathmark went belly-up, the store “renovations” still pretty much consist of Acme logos taped over A&P/Pathmark logos.

Sadly, they likely won’t be going anywhere soon, as while most of the buildings and offerings are wretched at both chains, the locations are excellent... primarily in middle/upper middle-class burbs without other supermarkets close by.

In a few days, a brand new Shop-Rite is due to open in Wyckoff, right behind a Stop & Shop. DAT should be fun to watch. Ahold Delhaize, Stop & Shop’s parent company fought in court for about a decade to prevent the Shop-Rite from being built. A former A&P building on the site was vacant for about 20 years. I’m glad it’s finally happening.

Maybe this will cause at least the Wyckoff Stop & Shop to pack it in. It would be a start.
I used to shop at that A&P!

The Wyckoff Stop & Shop expanded and modernized within the last couple of years. My mother had to stop going there because the store is too big for her now. She's 90 and has started using a walker full-time instead of a cane. A shopping cart works in lieu of the walker, but now she's getting too tired to walk longer distances. She takes my brother shopping with her now.

I doubt she'll attempt the new ShopRite.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:22 PM

710 posts, read 553,392 times
In NJ, it's Wegmans, Shop Rite, or bust. Everything else is garbage, uninspired, and/or overpriced. There are some uninspired Shop Rites. They are the worst of the Shop Rites, but they are still better than the best Acme and Stop & Shop have to offer. Weis has made inroads into NW Jersey...I have never been in one and cannot speak to them. Foodtown sucks, Whole Foods is too expensive, Trader Joe's is good but small and with a limited assortment, and I have not been inside of a Kings. So from experience, only Wegmans and Shop Rite are great stores. Luckily, Shop Rite is everywhere throughout the state, so it's always a safe and reliable bet. But Wegmans is definitely number one; there are just fewer of them. Other than that, there are only a few other local stores that are not parts of chains which I would consider a good experience, like Cafasso's Fairway in Fort Lee (pricier than Wegmans and Shop Rite, but the real draw there is the prepared foods, which is better than almost all Shop Rites although not quite at Wegmans level) and Rastelli Market Fresh in Marlton, which is like Wegmans scaled down to a Shop Rite size. Other than that, the Asian supermarkets like H Mart, Mitsuwa Marketplace, 99 Ranch, and Hannam are quite solid...but, that's still catering to a certain niche and may not be for everyone (disclosure: I'm white and enjoy shopping there, but not everyone else may be so "adventurous"). It will be interesting when the Stew Leonard's in Paramus opens...that's probably going to do very well. I cannot wait for that.

Old Yesterday, 04:33 AM

620 posts, read 383,206 times
I am a Shoprite fan and only will go elsewhere if away from home or making smaller shopping trips.

Old Yesterday, 05:20 AM

978 posts, read 728,638 times
The ACME in my town (Millville) shut down years ago. Shoprite gets a lot of the business now. An Aldi's is scheduled to open sometime this year. Lidl is also talking about a Millville store.

I do a lot of shopping at BJ's. Lunch meat/cheese prices are very good and they sell a lot so fresh. Fresh cut. And I can buy small amounts (1/4 pound). The warehouse stores have their place even when shopping for 2 people. You have to use their coupons (many 2 to 3 dollars off). But I have to supplement occasionally with Shoprite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey