U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 08:17 PM

52,820 posts, read 51,963,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Not sure if you ever looked at Metuchen. Only thing I don't like about Millburn + Chatham is the area is very hilly and difficult to get to. I was visiting someone in Millburn, almost all of the neighborhood streets are on a steep hill. I can't imagine driving there with snow and ice. Chatham area better but very expensive. Metuchen has a very sizeable Asian community because it is near Edison and lots of Asian stores nearby.
I only recently went to Metuchen to meet friends for dinner. What a cute little main street with shops and restaurants. I had no idea. We got Greek.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:16 AM

14,527 posts, read 4,533,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Not sure if you ever looked at Metuchen. Only thing I don't like about Millburn + Chatham is the area is very hilly and difficult to get to. I was visiting someone in Millburn, almost all of the neighborhood streets are on a steep hill. I can't imagine driving there with snow and ice. Chatham area better but very expensive. Metuchen has a very sizeable Asian community because it is near Edison and lots of Asian stores nearby.

While I will agree there are hills in Millburn and"SHORT HILLS" as well as in Chatham it's not like the towns are built on Mount Everest,yes, there are sections not on hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 05:00 PM

28 posts, read 51,739 times
No one has addressed the OP budget. 800 to 900 won’t buy much in M/SH. Maybe a fixer upper with 3 bed and 2 + bath, but you will still face heavy bidding competition at that price range even in what is a slower market. Unfortunately for new buyers (but great for existing residents), the wealthy, highly educated Asian population with 1-2 parents working in NYC are willing to pay whatever it takes to live in this town, and this town only, creating a micro real estate bubble. The Glenwood section, where some publication named the local elem school as number 1, is notoriously overpriced for the square footage and land lots in inventory. But the upside is you get a really large Asian community, guaranteed.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:17 PM

45 posts, read 29,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdog5 View Post
No one has addressed the OP budget. 800 to 900 won’t buy much in M/SH. Maybe a fixer upper with 3 bed and 2 + bath, but you will still face heavy bidding competition at that price range even in what is a slower market. Unfortunately for new buyers (but great for existing residents), the wealthy, highly educated Asian population with 1-2 parents working in NYC are willing to pay whatever it takes to live in this town, and this town only, creating a micro real estate bubble. The Glenwood section, where some publication named the local elem school as number 1, is notoriously overpriced for the square footage and land lots in inventory. But the upside is you get a really large Asian community, guaranteed.
The publication you mentioned is the website

www.niche.com

and this actually listed the Glenwood Elementary school as #1 in the United States. (I have no idea how they came to this conclusion)

Right now another elementary school in another State (I think a charter school in FL?) is the #1 but I do recall a couple of years ago when I was thinking of selling my house that many of the realtors with listings in the Glenwood section of Short Hills were making it very clear in their promotional materials and on Open Days about the Niche school ranking.

I’ve just had a look and all the township schools are listed as A+ and Family Life gets an A+ too. The crime rate is only a C but I think this is mainly due to the shoplifting and some car thefts from the Short Hills mall.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:26 AM

28 posts, read 51,739 times
Yup that rings a bell. All that matters is that the school is ranked number one and so Glenwood has become very popular. Not to mention it is a walk from the train station and has the “prestigious” short hills zip code. Also it is a walkable neighborhood with Friendly neighborhood people (great trick or treating during Halloween!).

It’s just overpriced because of the high demand! Can’t get much.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:36 PM

2,137 posts, read 678,917 times
Chatham high school is well-regarded, and any difference between schools at the higher levels is really small. Also, most towns in this part of NJ have around 5-10% Asian population.

My daughter (age14) is part of a Venture Crew based in Chatham, but with girls coming from Millburn, Madison, Florham Park, New Providence and Summit. It's a great group of kids, and they all seem to be on equal footing in terms of education - even those who go to Kent Place, a private girls' school.

I'd include Madison and Summit in your search, since they're on the same train line. As much as I LOVE our high school, Berkeley Heights (and New Providence) will add a bit of time to the Jersey City commute.

For Chatham, you should be able to find a very nice house in your price range, but if you want to be closer to downtown you'll end up with a smaller house. Expanding to Chatham Borough will give you more options.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:42 PM

14,527 posts, read 4,533,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdog5 View Post
Yup that rings a bell. All that matters is that the school is ranked number one and so Glenwood has become very popular. Not to mention it is a walk from the train station and has the “prestigious” short hills zip code. Also it is a walkable neighborhood with Friendly neighborhood people (great trick or treating during Halloween!).

It’s just overpriced because of the high demand! Can’t get much.

As someone who walked it often Glenwood Section and the Short Hills train Station is not a bad walk but if you're out of shape any walk will be "a walk". The school is a further distance than the train station is but yes it's a good school .

Old 01-14-2019, 09:18 PM

12 posts, read 6,915 times
Thanks all for your valuable inputs on various towns/schools. It is very helpful. Based on feedback of this forum I will explore Glenwood and Summit also. Please keep sharing.

Also, my top criteria is top high school and good train connections to NYC. Asian population is not necessarily my top criteria . I am just looking for school/town which has bit of diversity (any race). The reason for that is I am coming from southern city where my kid was only brown american and he faced some tough time in elem/middle school. I don't blame city or Kids or anyone.... kids are kids. I feel it was my mistake not be think of this aspect . I just assumed I am enjoying my work and social life and so would my son at school.

Anyway, went on tangent above. Looking fwd to NJ. Please keep sharing your suggestions.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:00 PM

33 posts, read 9,324 times
brown being south asian, or south east asian?

Old 01-16-2019, 07:32 AM

2,921 posts, read 2,917,163 times
Union County Magnet school is the best high school in Union County. You have to be a Union County resident and your kids need to take the test by 8th grade to get in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or