U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-16-2019, 08:02 PM
 
Location: Central NJ and PA
2,137 posts, read 678,917 times
Reputation: 1416

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Union County Magnet school is the best high school in Union County. You have to be a Union County resident and your kids need to take the test by 8th grade to get in.
Agree that it's an awesome school but the application is due in December of the 8th grade year.


OP, is your child athletic? Both Chatham and Summit have many good sports teams. Sometimes, the larger the school, the more competition there is for spots on teams. If academic leaning rather than athletic, check out number of AP classes offered and how many kids pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-16-2019, 10:53 PM
 
12 posts, read 6,915 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Agree that it's an awesome school but the application is due in December of the 8th grade year.


OP, is your child athletic? Both Chatham and Summit have many good sports teams. Sometimes, the larger the school, the more competition there is for spots on teams. If academic leaning rather than athletic, check out number of AP classes offered and how many kids pass.
Thanks. Yes, I did check with Union Magnet school and application/test process was over in december.

I read in some where that Millburn/Chatham school there is culture of private tuition and that is what push the scores and ratings. How much of it is fact ? Any inputs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2019, 04:48 AM
 
14,527 posts, read 4,533,721 times
Reputation: 5472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunar View Post
Thanks. Yes, I did check with Union Magnet school and application/test process was over in december.

I read in some where that Millburn/Chatham school there is culture of private tuition and that is what push the scores and ratings. How much of it is fact ? Any inputs...
I don't understand what you mean by this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2019, 09:14 AM
 
589 posts, read 450,880 times
Reputation: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunar View Post
Thanks. Yes, I did check with Union Magnet school and application/test process was over in december.

I read in some where that Millburn/Chatham school there is culture of private tuition and that is what push the scores and ratings. How much of it is fact ? Any inputs...
Private school scores are not included in public school scores.
There is a culture of private tutoring and students taking extra classes outside of school to increase their scores, if that is what you mean. Almost any top ranked school in NJ will have many many students being tutored and taking classes outside of the regular school day in order to perform better on college admission tests including SATs, ACTs and APs as well as for extra help for the classes they are enrolled in. This is very common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2019, 01:27 PM
 
12 posts, read 6,915 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I don't understand what you mean by this?
I meant, I read somewhere that most high performing kids (obviously smart and coming from well to do families) in MH/CHS take help (and pay them say 200/hr) from tutors after school hours. Especially for AP classes. Some of these tutors happen to be teachers from high school itself. Is it norm or may be exception here and there ?
The reason I want to know is to be mentally ready and plan my budget also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2019, 02:07 PM
 
213 posts, read 116,814 times
Reputation: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunar View Post
I meant, I read somewhere that most high performing kids (obviously smart and coming from well to do families) in MH/CHS take help (and pay them say 200/hr) from tutors after school hours. Especially for AP classes. Some of these tutors happen to be teachers from high school itself. Is it norm or may be exception here and there ?
The reason I want to know is to be mentally ready and plan my budget also.
There are many excellent schools across NJ. Are you sure you want to put your kid(s) through the type of system you're referencing? Just some food for thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2019, 04:18 PM
 
589 posts, read 450,880 times
Reputation: 634
yes, most students use tutors. Some occasionally some more frequently. $200 per hour is very high unless there is a learning disability credential or for expert level tutor on a specialty subject (professional voice for example). Many take prep classes like Kaplan which are more economical but less tailored to the individual student’s weakness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2019, 04:44 PM
 
12 posts, read 6,915 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
yes, most students use tutors. Some occasionally some more frequently. $200 per hour is very high unless there is a learning disability credential or for expert level tutor on a specialty subject (professional voice for example). Many take prep classes like Kaplan which are more economical but less tailored to the individual studentís weakness.
Thanks for your input. I read in some review/comment/forum as $200 (which blew me..yes). My kid is pretty smart. I love if its much less than 200 (in case we need it). Any real number you have (just in case) ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2019, 04:55 PM
 
12 posts, read 6,915 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodelotus View Post
There are many excellent schools across NJ. Are you sure you want to put your kid(s) through the type of system you're referencing? Just some food for thought.
I see your point and short answer is - I don't. And that is one reason of all this research to strike some balance (or hope and pray for one). I have also been researching houses in NJ and in some good neighborhoods (with best school districts) i observed some very good houses have not be selling for over a year (can't figure why)... What worries me is god forbid if i don't choose the good school in beginning... we are stuck because moving schools (and selling house) does not seem easy (read fast) in NJ.

Thoughts ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2019, 06:42 PM
 
213 posts, read 116,814 times
Reputation: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunar View Post
I see your point and short answer is - I don't. And that is one reason of all this research to strike some balance (or hope and pray for one). I have also been researching houses in NJ and in some good neighborhoods (with best school districts) i observed some very good houses have not be selling for over a year (can't figure why)... What worries me is god forbid if i don't choose the good school in beginning... we are stuck because moving schools (and selling house) does not seem easy (read fast) in NJ.

Thoughts ?
This makes me think - did you know NJ has hundreds of school districts? This is not common in most of the country so I wanted to point it out. People often come on this board and ask for the top 5 school district towns, when if you look at our top school district list you could do VERY well in any of the top 50 and even be plenty good in the top 100 due to the sheer number of school districts and high level of education in the state. Maybe this helps expand your search?

When you only look at the top 5 or so, those are going to be the "tiger parent" schools where kids are killing themselves to compete against the very best, the most wealthy, day after day. It's extremely competitive and not always the healthiest environment for a kid. It's nearly impossible to be in the top of those schools. I'm not trying to knock the top 5 as they certainly deserve their spots but you might want to explore the top 50 even to have excellent education with a little more family balance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top