U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 09:02 PM

367 posts, read 151,325 times

Advertisements

Edison

Nearly Half of Residents in Edison Are Asian | Data Bits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 07:44 AM

2,137 posts, read 678,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunar View Post
Thanks for your input. I read in some review/comment/forum as $200 (which blew me..yes). My kid is pretty smart. I love if its much less than 200 (in case we need it). Any real number you have (just in case) ?

Test prep for the SAT/ACT can run from about $300-$500. Hourly rates for tutoring in the area seem to be closer to $60-$80. I say "seem" because those are numbers I've seen posted on our community FB page - we haven't used a tutor ourselves. From what I can tell, it's not uncommon to have tutors, but it's not the majority of students at our high school, nor is it even close. If your kid is bright and has good study habits, you'll probably only want to do the test prep for the standardized exams.

One other thing I'd suggest is that you visit these towns at different times. Drive around. Pick a house you like, and drive from there to the grocery store, the school, the library, etc. We ended up not getting the house we originally put in the offer for, and ended up in a different location. It ended up being one of the best things that ever happened to us. We're walking distance to our elementary and middle school, and while we're a long way from the high school, we're closer to the pool in Warren where our high school swim team practices. We're walking distance to the train station (barely - about 15 minutes), which was helpful since our town has a three-year wait list for parking permits.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:49 AM

14,527 posts, read 4,533,721 times
Quote:
I meant, I read somewhere that most high performing kids (obviously smart and coming from well to do families) in MH/CHS take help (and pay them say 200/hr) from tutors after school hours. Especially for AP classes. Some of these tutors happen to be teachers from high school itself. Is it norm or may be exception here and there ?
The reason I want to know is to be mentally ready and plan my budget also.
Ok , wasn't sure . While I am sure students do use some tutoring check the schools themselves many have ways of helping with that . I know Millburn does and I assume Chatham does.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:32 AM

2,325 posts, read 1,100,499 times
Quote:
I meant, I read somewhere that most high performing kids (obviously smart and coming from well to do families) in MH/CHS take help (and pay them say 200/hr) from tutors after school hours. Especially for AP classes. Some of these tutors happen to be teachers from high school itself. Is it norm or may be exception here and there ?
The reason I want to know is to be mentally ready and plan my budget also.
Many Asians in North Jersey do Kumon (mostly Asians. You'll see some non-Asians, but not many). Seems to be pretty standard, but I don't think it's that expensive. I think it's silly because it just hothouses your kid and then they are bored in the regular class and it all evens out by high school but whatever.

Other than that, all rich people are getting tutoring for their kids in all kinds of areas. Sports and academics. You can blow thousands upon thousands on anything. If you are willing to pay, there is someone willing to take your money around here. Ditto for summer programs and camps. And then all of the college prep services including private counselors.

Anyway, not sure what the point of this post is lol but I guess I'm trying to say that it's up to you as to what kind of family culture you want to have and how much you want to put your kid through. The town doesn't matter as much as people think

Good luck house hunting

Old 01-18-2019, 10:02 AM

589 posts, read 450,880 times
Peer tutoring is offered in the high schools and it doubles as a community service club and is of course free. Some teachers give some extra help. That may work just fine or you may want/need a more experienced tutor at a more convienant time. As others have said it all depends on how naturally smart and how internally motivated your student is and also what your end goals are. If the student must get an A- to qualify for an AP class it’s up to the parent to decide if it’s worth it pay for extra help if needed.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:29 AM

121 posts, read 147,627 times
Quote:
Hi,

We are a family for three which includes me, my wife and 13 year old son who is going to be in High School in fall. We are moving to NJ from southern city due to Jobs transfers.

For our future home/city in NJ, below listed are some of key priorities/criteria (in order )

1) Best Public High School
2) Close proximity to NJ Transit Station. My wife will be commuting to Jersey City daily. But we don't want o live there
3) Nice Residential area where we can afford good (hopefully newer and spacious) 3+ Bed and 3+ Bath in 800-900K
Range
4) We are Asian Americans. So, looking for School and community which is bit open to diversity.
5) Reasonable Property Taxes (based on NJ standards)

From my own initial research, I have shortlisted Chatham, Millburn and Ridgewood.

Looking for any feedback/recommendations on above three. Which one would you recommended based on my criteria ? Also, is there any other place which i should consider ?
Don't know too much about Ridgewood, but I live in the town next to Millburn and not to far from Chatham. Millburn has a larger Asian American population then Chatham borough and township combined. Can't go wrong with either of those High Schools.

Just visit and see which town you are more comfortable with.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:16 PM

12 posts, read 6,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdotSmith View Post
Don't know too much about Ridgewood, but I live in the town next to Millburn and not to far from Chatham. Millburn has a larger Asian American population then Chatham borough and township combined. Can't go wrong with either of those High Schools.

Just visit and see which town you are more comfortable with.
Thanks for your inputs.

Old Today, 01:47 PM

2 posts
I would take a look at Glen Ridge and Montclair as well. They're a 35 minute train ride into NYC and about 40 to Jersey City (my husband commutes there every day). They're also touted as some of the top schools districts in Essex County with significant diversity. I'm a local agent in the area so let me know if you're looking for more information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or