U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 02:29 PM

11 posts, read 5,747 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are a family for three which includes me, my wife and 13 year old son who is going to be in High School in fall. We are moving to NJ from southern city due to Jobs transfers.

For our future home/city in NJ, below listed are some of key priorities/criteria (in order )

1) Best Public High School
2) Close proximity to NJ Transit Station. My wife will be commuting to Jersey City daily. But we don't want o live there
3) Nice Residential area where we can afford good (hopefully newer and spacious) 3+ Bed and 3+ Bath in 800-900K
Range
4) We are Asian Americans. So, looking for School and community which is bit open to diversity.
5) Reasonable Property Taxes (based on NJ standards)

From my own initial research, I have shortlisted Chatham, Millburn and Ridgewood.

Looking for any feedback/recommendations on above three. Which one would you recommended based on my criteria ? Also, is there any other place which i should consider ?

Last edited by Nunar; 01-07-2019 at 03:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 04:39 PM

52,709 posts, read 51,863,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunar View Post
Hi,

We are a family for three which includes me, my wife and 13 year old son who is going to be in High School in fall. We are moving to NJ from southern city due to Jobs transfers.

For our future home/city in NJ, below listed are some of key priorities/criteria (in order )

1) Best Public High School
2) Close proximity to NJ Transit Station. My wife will be commuting to Jersey City daily. But we don't want o live there
3) Nice Residential area where we can afford good (hopefully newer and spacious) 3+ Bed and 3+ Bath in 800-900K
Range
4) We are Asian Americans. So, looking for School and community which is bit open to diversity.
5) Reasonable Property Taxes (based on NJ standards)

From my own initial research, I have shortlisted Chatham, Millburn and Ridgewood.

Looking for any feedback/recommendations on above three. Which one would you recommended based on my criteria ? Also, is there any other place which i should consider ?
All are top towns. I don't know Millburn and Chatham as well as others here except by their reputation.

Ridgewood I am familiar with. It is a lovely town with a quaint feel and a nice downtown lined with shops and restaurants, and is long-established as a good commuter town with an excellent school system. You are more likely to find older, well-kept houses with character and architectural style than you would with newer models, though.

Lots of Asians in Ridgewood, about 15% of the population. Ridgewood has a well-known hospital, so there are a significant number of doctors and other health professionals living in the town.

I don't know what you consider reasonable for taxes, but you are probably not going to be thrilled with the numbers in any of those towns. This is the most densely populated state in the US, and the number of people who want to live in a nice safe town with good schools and a decent commute to the city puts such places at a premium and drives up prices and taxes.

Old 01-07-2019, 04:42 PM

45 posts, read 28,806 times
Just go and stand outside the High schools of the towns you are interested in at around 2.30pm/going home time and you will see the ethnic make up of the students and see if you find it appealing.

I live in Millburn township (Millburn is 07041 and the more ‘elite’ Short Hills section zipcode is 07078; Short Hills students all go to Millburn schools). There is a very large - and rapidly growing - Asian student population in the schools (mainly Chinese, although a sizeable number of Koreans and south Asians too - Indians and Sri Lankan’s). Quite a number of Indian couples initially move to live and work in Jersey City, but when they have children and need good schools they have moved along the train line (Morris & Essex - Gladstone branch) to Millburn and Short Hills, Summit, Chatham etc.

The recent Snowflake Parade procession in downtown Millburn included large numbers of families from the Asian community, for example there were two Chinese Association contingents and a Desi Association (Indian). I do know that there is a weekend Chinese (language/cultural) school class or classes held at the Millburn Middle school, but have no idea about anything similar for the Indian or Sri Lankan/Bangladeshi/Pakistani community.

For Asian Indians: www.mshdesiclub.com
And there is a Facebook page: ‘Indian American Association of Millburn Short Hills’

For Chinese, google ‘Millburn Short Hills Chinese Association’ (has 1000 members)

Last edited by pasirpanjang; 01-07-2019 at 05:01 PM..

Old 01-07-2019, 07:30 PM

45 posts, read 28,806 times
PS as I was too late to add to my previous post:

www.millburnchinese.org

Old 01-07-2019, 08:28 PM

Thanks Mightyqueen801 and pasirpanjang for your inputs. Helped me get good idea on Ridgewood and Millburn.
Looking fwd to inputs on Chatham from other forum members.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:42 AM

Default Chatham

Hi,

Does anyone have inputs on Chatham High school and Chatham town especially in comparison to Millburn ?

Thanks

Old 01-09-2019, 02:58 PM

212 posts, read 115,182 times
Check out Basking Ridge and Warren as well. They both have large Asian populations in top school districts.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:45 PM

14,415 posts, read 4,492,704 times
Quote:
Hi,

Does anyone have inputs on Chatham High school and Chatham town especially in comparison to Millburn ?

Thanks
I know the towns themselves Millburn is a little bigger and there is the Short Hills and the Millburn train stations compared to one in Chatham. The schools as far as I know are fairly close in rankings.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:05 PM

1,319 posts, read 940,676 times
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks
This question comes up several times a month. If you search on "chatham millburn," you'll find dozens of threads on that topic.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:22 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,017,333 times
Not sure if you ever looked at Metuchen. Only thing I don't like about Millburn + Chatham is the area is very hilly and difficult to get to. I was visiting someone in Millburn, almost all of the neighborhood streets are on a steep hill. I can't imagine driving there with snow and ice. Chatham area better but very expensive. Metuchen has a very sizeable Asian community because it is near Edison and lots of Asian stores nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or