U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 09:56 AM

725 posts, read 302,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
We are now 2 weeks past Christmas and I can't believe the number of houses that still have all their outdoor Christmas decorations lit up every night, and even have lit up Christmas trees inside their homes. My neighbors had their Halloween decorations up until early December, so I guess people in general just have a tendency to get lazy with this stuff.
Traditionally, many people remove after January 6th, the feast of the Eppifany also calledLittle Christmas.

If you leave them up weeks after that, you’re just Lazy, IMO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 10:07 AM

859 posts, read 662,581 times
Lights are still up and still on and will probably come down this weekend. People are on a rush nowadays to put Christmas decorations earlier and earlier and take them down sooner and sooner. Growing up we always put up our Christmas tree a few days before Christmas and enjoyed it through the holidays through mid January. I'm seeing people now rush to put it up black Friday morning and take everything down 9am on December 26th. Sad.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:27 AM

23,164 posts, read 29,138,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Lights are still up and still on and will probably come down this weekend. People are on a rush nowadays to put Christmas decorations earlier and earlier and take them down sooner and sooner. Growing up we always put up our Christmas tree a few days before Christmas and enjoyed it through the holidays through mid January. I'm seeing people now rush to put it up black Friday morning and take everything down 9am on December 26th. Sad.
why is that sad? why do people care what other people do? whether people put them up early and take them down early or put them up later and take them down later (or any other combination of things), i have no idea why it matters to other people.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:26 PM

2,310 posts, read 1,089,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
why is that sad? why do people care what other people do? whether people put them up early and take them down early or put them up later and take them down later (or any other combination of things), i have no idea why it matters to other people.
Because traditionally that's not when Christmas is. It starts on Dec 25th and goes until Epiphany. Advent is a real thing but few people seem to observe that anymore.

It's all fine, I don't care either way, but I can see why people get sad when they see the tree thrown out the day after

Old 01-10-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Because traditionally that's not when Christmas is. It starts on Dec 25th and goes until Epiphany. Advent is a real thing but few people seem to observe that anymore.

It's all fine, I don't care either way, but I can see why people get sad when they see the tree thrown out the day after
I think it's sad that people get sad over something that has absolutely no importance to them.

Look at what happened, now they made me sad

Old 01-13-2019, 08:12 PM

2,126 posts, read 673,757 times
Outdoor lights came down today. Indoor decorations are sort of down. Not all are put in boxes yet, and none of the boxes are in the attic. We've been busy with Boy Scout/Venturing camping trips, music lessons, full-time job, swim meets....

Or you could just call us lazy. Whatever floats your boat. Or as the cereal box says, "Whatever Froots your Loops."

Old 01-13-2019, 09:29 PM

23,470 posts, read 22,459,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Outdoor lights came down today. Indoor decorations are sort of down. Not all are put in boxes yet, and none of the boxes are in the attic. We've been busy with Boy Scout/Venturing camping trips, music lessons, full-time job, swim meets....

Or you could just call us lazy. Whatever floats your boat. Or as the cereal box says, "Whatever Froots your Loops."
Good. There's no reason to rush things. Some people in the neighborhood are still plugging in their white lights.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:27 AM

i asked my wife on saturday to take away the lights on the rows of bushes in front of the house so that i could get rid of the leaves that have become trapped in there by the lights. she said it was too cold. i offered to take them off myself and she felt that i wouldnt neatly organize them for proper storage so she said no.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:24 AM

1,132 posts, read 596,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
They come down shortly after New Year's Day. If the weather is bad it'll take longer but I don't think we've ever had them up past like, today-ish at the latest. Since the weather was so mild this weekend and there were periods without rain, a lot of people around me took their outdoor ones down this weekend.
^This is the way.....and....even if there is bad weather the lights should be turned off/unplugged and can be removed later. The day after Thanksgiving is also too early to put them up IMO....it should be no earlier than Dec. 1st.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:35 AM

27 posts, read 3,471 times
We'll leave our lights up inside pretty much all year round. But the Christmas tree, and Christmas specific decorations come down shortly after New Year's. Some winter decorations that aren't Christmas Specific may stay up awhile longer, depending on what they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or