U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 05:03 PM

13,884 posts, read 16,513,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
Stop throwing BJ's under the bus.

BJ's is the cleanest store in my neck of the woods. A guy or gal on a floor cleaner machine early morning when I am there. May be an anomaly but I doubt it. I always see the manager (Craig) walking around. Lots of fresh food to eat. Way ahead of my local grocery where I have to check the expiration date on everything but toilet paper...
A friend of mine got a "free" BJ's membership because his sister works for BJ's.
Please note that he already had a Costco membership, but he decided to give BJ's a try.
After a couple of visits, his reaction was... They would have to give me free BJs in order for me to continue shopping there.

He subsequently returned to Costco, and forgot about his "free" BJ's membership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 07:01 PM

12,058 posts, read 8,029,154 times
Have both.

BJs Pros:

Better cold cuts, you can order variety of fresh sliced cold cuts and cheeses, Costco only has pre-packaged. Better Infant formulas and diaper selections. More ethnic foods. More variety of house hold items like shampoos and mouth wash than Costco. You can use normal mfg coupons, Costco does not accept any coupons. Better kid's clothing.

Cons: Only a 30 day return policy. Customer Service line is very slow and difficult to deal with. Less Checkout lines and slower checkout. Hardly any in-store food to eat. Almost every BJ is more disorganized and harder to find things.

Costco Pros:

Great return policy, good selection of fruits, more hardware and durable goods. Tire center is better. Lots of cheap eats in-store. Better bakery especially breads. More updated electronics and computers. Kirkland brand stuff much higher quality than BJs own Berkley brand.

Costco Cons:

Almost impossible to shop on weekends, large crowds. Checkout lines often obstructed by mountains of stuff. No self-checkout. Very limited selection of clothing, almost every shirt or jacket is over-sized. Very little selection of cold cuts and sliced cheeses. Hours not as good as BJs.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:32 AM

1,365 posts, read 809,410 times
I've always been a Costco fan and member but with an upcoming move to Jersey City I may reconsider since BJ's will be close. Only downside I've found with Costco so far is many local stores lack the Kirkland brand booze selection, closest store with wine & spirits is Wayne, NJ.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:33 AM

27 posts, read 4,045 times
We had a BJs in Flemington, and that was my first experience with any of the wholesale clubs. When I went to Costco, I liked it better. To me it had a better price on the items I purchase, and I felt the store was cleaner.

Costco wins the contest for me.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:39 AM

13,884 posts, read 16,513,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
I've always been a Costco fan and member but with an upcoming move to Jersey City I may reconsider since BJ's will be close. Only downside I've found with Costco so far is many local stores lack the Kirkland brand booze selection, closest store with wine & spirits is Wayne, NJ.
Without doubt, Costco's management would love to be able to sell wine & spirits at all of their NJ stores, but--unfortunately--NJ's archaic liquor licensing regulations make that impossible. Apparently you were not aware that NJ's regulations prohibit any person or corporation from holding more than two liquor licenses.

Hence, the presence of a "real" Kirkland liquor department only at Costco's Edison and Wayne locations.
Similarly, Trader Joe's is only able to sell liquor at their Westfield and "Princeton" locations.

Wegmans apparently skirts these limitations by claiming that one family member owns two of their NJ stores, another family member owns another two NJ stores, and so on...

Incidentally, some Costco stores have an unaffiliated liquor store--with a separate entrance--on the premises. North Plainfield comes to mind, and... maybe (?) Flemington. Those stores do not sell the fantastic Kirkland products, and both their selection and pricing is no better than the typical Mom & Pop liquor store.

NJ's archaic regulations are to blame... not Costco...

Old 01-15-2019, 09:15 AM

12,989 posts, read 24,353,558 times
Had both, Costco hands down and still have an active membership

Old 01-15-2019, 11:26 AM

23,178 posts, read 29,156,172 times
i wouldnt say BJ's is bad (throwing it under the bus). costco is a pretty great store so being worse than costco doesnt mean its bad.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:33 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,772,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i wouldnt say BJ's is bad (throwing it under the bus). costco is a pretty great store so being worse than costco doesnt mean its bad.
True. It just means BJ's is not worth it.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:30 PM

3,859 posts, read 8,744,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
The BJs in Jersey City gets ridiculously crowded. Be prepared to go early in the morning or late evening. Don't go anywhere near the place on weekends.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:04 PM

23,178 posts, read 29,156,172 times
crowds often depends on location i would imagine. when i lived in brooklyn, i went to BJs at gateway center. it was a zoo, so incredibly busy on weekends. but that had a lot to do with the high concentration of population there and limited options for people.

the best time i ever had there was a day that there was the puerto rican day parade. i remember how empty it was and how nice it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey