U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 12:20 AM

2 posts, read 798 times

Advertisements

Hi

I drive a commercial hvac vehicle. I do not have a cdl, i am not required as I am not carrying 16 passengers and my vehicle gross weight is way less than 26,000 lbs

Got two tickets. One for speeding At 24 on a 5. I definitely was not speeding, I was slowing down as I approached the toll booth. He pulled me over to a zebra and screamed at me to park it, so I moved further in because I am driving a long ford transit f150. I thought the back end was possibly blocking traffic. Then he screamed again saying i didnt tell you to move, i told you to park it!!!!! Then he said now youíre getting a careless driving ticket! A the time, tickets did not say court appearance required. He said I can pay it online. Total points were 6 points.

Then I go to check out the tickets online to pay it off because I have preferred status with my insurance, they are not going to raise my rates because these are my first traffic tickets in over 20 years of driving. Now it says mandatory court appearance required for both tickets. I call them up and the guy says, "ok i will make them available to be paid, wait 3 mins". Thirty mins and Still not available to be paid online. I call up again and got another guy. He says that its a mistake, "you were driving a commercial vehicle and that requires court appearance, however, I will make the careless driving ticket payable online, but i do not recommend it, just come and talk to the prosecutor." I have spoken to prosecutors before and they will end up costing me at least a thousand dollars for these tickets. I just wanna pay the fine and take the points because I was not speeding in a construction, safe corridor, or over 40 mph and I do not have a cdl..

Do they have a statute to force me to settle the speeding ticket in court on the basis that I drove a commercial vehicle?

If they force this, they will force me to say guilty and easily steal $500 from me at least for the one ticket. Just because I got 0 points does not mean my insurance does not see it. They see all convictions. There is no point in fighting for 0 points.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 07:07 AM

496 posts, read 831,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwell007 View Post
Hi

I drive a commercial hvac vehicle. I do not have a cdl, i am not required as I am not carrying 16 passengers and my vehicle gross weight is way less than 26,000 lbs

Got two tickets. One for speeding At 24 on a 5. I definitely was not speeding, I was slowing down as I approached the toll booth. He pulled me over to a zebra and screamed at me to park it, so I moved further in because I am driving a long ford transit f150. I thought the back end was possibly blocking traffic. Then he screamed again saying i didnt tell you to move, i told you to park it!!!!! Then he said now you’re getting a careless driving ticket! A the time, tickets did not say court appearance required. He said I can pay it online. Total points were 6 points.

Then I go to check out the tickets online to pay it off because I have preferred status with my insurance, they are not going to raise my rates because these are my first traffic tickets in over 20 years of driving. Now it says mandatory court appearance required for both tickets. I call them up and the guy says, "ok i will make them available to be paid, wait 3 mins". Thirty mins and Still not available to be paid online. I call up again and got another guy. He says that its a mistake, "you were driving a commercial vehicle and that requires court appearance, however, I will make the careless driving ticket payable online, but i do not recommend it, just come and talk to the prosecutor." I have spoken to prosecutors before and they will end up costing me at least a thousand dollars for these tickets. I just wanna pay the fine and take the points because I was not speeding in a construction, safe corridor, or over 40 mph and I do not have a cdl..

Do they have a statute to force me to settle the speeding ticket in court on the basis that I drove a commercial vehicle?

If they force this, they will force me to say guilty and easily steal $500 from me at least for the one ticket. Just because I got 0 points does not mean my insurance does not see it. They see all convictions. There is no point in fighting for 0 points.

Thanks for everyone's help.
They can force you to come to court but they can’t force you to take their deal. When you talk to the prosecutor, tell them you’re pleading guilty but don’t want to take the deal. When you go to the judge make sure they didn’t sneak it in there.

Last edited by Kiru; 01-15-2019 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: I have an iPhone - editing is inevitable. :(

Old 01-15-2019, 09:17 AM

14,662 posts, read 4,575,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
They can force you to come to court but they canít force you to take their deal. When you talk to the prosecutor, tell them youíre pleading guilty but donít want to take the deal. When you go to the judge make sure they didnít sneak it in there.

This.....

Old 01-15-2019, 02:40 PM

2 posts, read 798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
They can force you to come to court but they canít force you to take their deal. When you talk to the prosecutor, tell them youíre pleading guilty but donít want to take the deal. When you go to the judge make sure they didnít sneak it in there.

Hey thanks for the reply. Well, if i dont want to take the deal, what happens next? I can just pay the fine and accept the points? The guy tells me that there is no fixed fine for this ticket because i was driving a commercial vehicle, its up to the prosecutor is what he says.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:07 AM

31 posts, read 5,646 times
I would at least see what kind of deal can be made, or pled down to if any. You might end up being surprised. If however, the deal is not what you wanted, then plead guilty to the original charge and take what they give you.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:09 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,213,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwell007 View Post
Hey thanks for the reply. Well, if i dont want to take the deal, what happens next? I can just pay the fine and accept the points? The guy tells me that there is no fixed fine for this ticket because i was driving a commercial vehicle, its up to the prosecutor is what he says.
generally, if you dont take the deal you get the penalty. if it isnt specified, then probably best to work out a deal with the prosecutor to minimize the fine.

you may wish to consult an attorney to see if you can work out something better. it may cost you more than you think to just take the punishment.

Old 01-17-2019, 02:22 PM

5,338 posts, read 12,624,181 times
If you get really lucky for some reason or other they could offer to make it some no point cheap like $75 ticket I think that's called obstructing traffic. They could at least trade one of those for that. Depends a lot on their mood, etc.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:52 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,213,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
If you get really lucky for some reason or other they could offer to make it some no point cheap like $75 ticket I think that's called obstructing traffic. They could at least trade one of those for that. Depends a lot on their mood, etc.
that is a standard deal, not sure in this situation with the commercial aspect. however, its not a cheap $75 ticket. i took that deal probably 10 years back and i didnt get points but i paid a lot more than $75 that day.

nj is smarter than nyc with that. they dangle the "no points" carrot in front of you and make a deal for a hefty fine right then and there. so they get lots of money fast and you are happy to avoid points. in nyc, they arent so open to those deals (at least that was my understanding last ticket i got) so you just delay the case for as long as possible and then pay the fine (or you may win and not pay anything. i think we even got paid by the court after we won a ticket)

Old 01-19-2019, 10:36 AM

16,368 posts, read 11,327,364 times
judge will toss the ticket, it has happened before. Cop acted foolishly.

ask for a change of court date to mess with the cops availability, he fails to show , you walk.

Old 01-19-2019, 03:58 PM

5,338 posts, read 12,624,181 times
The "deal" I mentioned is different than the very popular "unsafe driving " deal, that one is yes about $480 or so.

This one is about 75 but yes harder to catch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or