U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 10:17 PM

6 posts, read 1,484 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 3..Myself, wife and our 3 year old son.
Need to move to JC from Dallas. My new company is on Washington Blvd in Newport area and want to rent a new apartment close by or within 7-8 miles. Following are my priorities -
1. Budget - 1600-2200 for 2 BHK
2. Is it mandatory to take a 2 BHK for a family of 3 or you can also opt for 1 BHK ?
3. Preschool/Montessori school options ? Monthly fees ?
4. Safe area for family preferably Indian community/population
5. Community names if known
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 05:34 AM

1,374 posts, read 812,484 times
Budge is a low for a 2 bedroom in Newport or waterfront Jersey City. If you plan on commuting by PATH or bus then Google search little India Jersey City. There is a very strong Indian community along that stretch of Newark Ave and close to the Journal Square PATH/bus station. I'd call it more of a middle class community vs the tech/finance money among Indians in Newport.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:49 AM

6,010 posts, read 13,547,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
Budge is a low for a 2 bedroom in Newport or waterfront Jersey City. If you plan on commuting by PATH or bus then Google search little India Jersey City. There is a very strong Indian community along that stretch of Newark Ave and close to the Journal Square PATH/bus station. I'd call it more of a middle class community vs the tech/finance money among Indians in Newport.
Journal Square. Definitely. Get as close to this neighborhood as possible and you'll be great.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:14 AM

3,866 posts, read 8,755,088 times
What does BHK stand for?

Old 01-16-2019, 10:37 AM

499 posts, read 397,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
What does BHK stand for?

It's how people coming from India typically say "two bedroom". It actually means 2 Bedrooms/Hall/kitchen, as in 2 bedrooms, 1 hall, 1 kitchen. I also found out that it can either mean a 2 bedroom with a living room, and kitchen (standard in US), OR it can mean it's just 2 rooms total, with a kitchen and front hall.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:47 AM

499 posts, read 397,411 times
OP,

I don't know your other wants/needs but it might be helpful to know there's a PATH station in Newport (underground subway stop), as well as light rail stops, AND Newport is pretty easy walking distance from the Hoboken commuter train station. You can also do light rail from the Hoboken train terminal. So you have a lot of options in your price range, but the other comment was right that you are probably priced out of Newport itself.

You could explore Jersey City Heights (it's getting more and more Indian every year, as there is spillover from the Journal Square area). Journal Square is another area to look. You can even look further afield on the light rail line, and commute on the rail--like Bayonne or the areas of Weehawken/Union City on the light rail. All of these places are more "urban" areas, were you would likely live in an apartment building or house split into more than 1 unit. Jersey City does offer FREE public preschool for 3 and 4 year olds, but it may be too late in the year--I believe they are registering now for next school year. There are a ton of private preschools/daycares, so that depends on which neighborhood you live in.

If you prefer suburbs, you can look at some of the closer suburbs with a train to Hoboken and walk/light rail from Hoboken station to Newport. Check Rutherford, Woodridge, East Rutherford, Secaucus (growing Indian community in Secaucus). Your commute will be longer, but maybe 30-45 minutes.

Try joining the "jersey city moms" group on Facebook. They are very well informed and can give you detailed information regarding neighborhoods, commute, preschools. You don't have to be a mom, just a parent. There are a lot of Indian parents in Jersey City. Welcome to JC. We moved from Dallas to JC and then Hoboken 7 years ago--still loving it here.

Old 01-19-2019, 03:27 PM

6 posts, read 1,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikan View Post
OP,

I don't know your other wants/needs but it might be helpful to know there's a PATH station in Newport (underground subway stop), as well as light rail stops, AND Newport is pretty easy walking distance from the Hoboken commuter train station. You can also do light rail from the Hoboken train terminal. So you have a lot of options in your price range, but the other comment was right that you are probably priced out of Newport itself.

You could explore Jersey City Heights (it's getting more and more Indian every year, as there is spillover from the Journal Square area). Journal Square is another area to look. You can even look further afield on the light rail line, and commute on the rail--like Bayonne or the areas of Weehawken/Union City on the light rail. All of these places are more "urban" areas, were you would likely live in an apartment building or house split into more than 1 unit. Jersey City does offer FREE public preschool for 3 and 4 year olds, but it may be too late in the year--I believe they are registering now for next school year. There are a ton of private preschools/daycares, so that depends on which neighborhood you live in.

If you prefer suburbs, you can look at some of the closer suburbs with a train to Hoboken and walk/light rail from Hoboken station to Newport. Check Rutherford, Woodridge, East Rutherford, Secaucus (growing Indian community in Secaucus). Your commute will be longer, but maybe 30-45 minutes.

Try joining the "jersey city moms" group on Facebook. They are very well informed and can give you detailed information regarding neighborhoods, commute, preschools. You don't have to be a mom, just a parent. There are a lot of Indian parents in Jersey City. Welcome to JC. We moved from Dallas to JC and then Hoboken 7 years ago--still loving it here.
Thank you so much.. can you please provide names of some free preschools in Jersey City Heights, North Bergen & West NY..hv narrowed down these areas for now..

Old 01-20-2019, 12:00 PM

50 posts, read 24,354 times
you're in trouble, my friend. consider bayonne or harrison. a studio in the most decrepit looking building at newport looking out at an office 15 years ago was $1900. harrison has new building but they may be above your budget, as well. at least the Path train has a stop there, though. bayonne residents utilize the light-rail. you will not be in any of the newly constructed buildings in any of these locations, though. be careful of bedbugs and roaches and i kid you not!!! you will not have the money to move to a newly constructed building in journal square either. jersey city heights is an option but there are no train stops there. at best, it's a 15 minute walk to the path train, and it's more expensive than bayonne. you might consider ironbound, in newark, as well. union city and west new york have a light rail stop, at least, and great restaurants, but are more costly than bayonne. anyhow, try to get some rent-stablized apartment so that they can't raise it beyond a few dollars a year, at least. if all else fails, consider plainfield, dunellen, or bound brook, which at least are directly on the NJ Transit Train Line. as far as montesorri schools, i know nothing of them. good luck. you're going to need it!

Old 01-20-2019, 12:04 PM

little india is newark avenue. it is around a half mile from journal square and the two areas are different in hosts of ways.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:12 PM

1034 Kennedy Boulevard at 43rd Street is nearly completely Indian, with an elevator, and even a pay extra garage. the landlord prefers indians. it is directly across from gregg park, as well. however, the rent for a one bedroom can be more than $1400 a month. his number is 201-588-5286. at least get on a waiting list. another building is 1040 kennedy, at w. 44th, but is far more luxurious, new, and costly, but is still reasonable as compared to jersey city. there is the building's private bus which transports its residents directly to the light-rail stop and a nyc and jersey bus and private trams stop directly in front of the building, as well. it's a gem area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or