U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-16-2019, 10:33 PM
 
803 posts, read 351,581 times
Reputation: 498

Advertisements

Watching a 20 year anniversary cast reunion on youtube, at the end they mention a prequal to the Sopranos is being made, The Many Saints of Newark, which will be a show in the 60s riots setting with the prime mobster era days. Does anyone have any info on this show being filmed? A lot would have to be filmed in Newark to have the setting.

This makes me want to watch the rest of Boardwalk Empire. I only watched to the 2nd season. Both are historic shows which shows some NJ history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-16-2019, 10:54 PM
 
Location: Earth
3,814 posts, read 2,706,812 times
Reputation: 2822
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
Watching a 20 year anniversary cast reunion on youtube, at the end they mention a prequal to the Sopranos is being made, The Many Saints of Newark, which will be a show in the 60s riots setting with the prime mobster era days. Does anyone have any info on this show being filmed? A lot would have to be filmed in Newark to have the setting.

This makes me want to watch the rest of Boardwalk Empire. I only watched to the 2nd season. Both are historic shows which shows some NJ history.

season 4 of boardwalk empire was rushed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2019, 08:53 AM
 
41 posts, read 125,059 times
Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
Watching a 20 year anniversary cast reunion on youtube, at the end they mention a prequal to the Sopranos is being made, The Many Saints of Newark, which will be a show in the 60s riots setting with the prime mobster era days. Does anyone have any info on this show being filmed? A lot would have to be filmed in Newark to have the setting.

This makes me want to watch the rest of Boardwalk Empire. I only watched to the 2nd season. Both are historic shows which shows some NJ history.
The funny thing about Boardwalk Empire is that it was all filmed in Queens, NY. I would always see trucks by my old house and met some of the cast members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2019, 11:42 AM
 
1,959 posts, read 3,795,445 times
Reputation: 4855
It's not going to be a series but a movie (a movie theater movie, not Netflix or HBO).

With David Chase producing/writing I am assuming/hoping they will be filming all around in NJ like they did with The Sopranos.

From what I read yesterday, the focus seems to be on Dickie Moltisanti (Christopher's dad) and his relationship to Tony. The 'Many Saints' in the title is an allusion to 'Moltisanti'.

Alessandro Nivola (yay) is cast as Dickie Moltisanti.

The other actors attached as of now are Jon Bernthal (yay), Corey Stoll, Billy Magnussen, and Vera Farmiga (double yay) who is from Irvington. My guess is she'll be playing Livia Soprano, but who knows.

I wanna know who's going to play Uncle Jun.

I will most likely wait till this available for streaming, but if any movie gets me back into an actual movie theater (it's been years), it will be this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2019, 04:44 PM
 
Location: Earth
3,814 posts, read 2,706,812 times
Reputation: 2822
i need to become a part actor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2019, 05:41 PM
 
Location: NJ
16,363 posts, read 11,321,191 times
Reputation: 10472
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
Watching a 20 year anniversary cast reunion on youtube, at the end they mention a prequal to the Sopranos is being made, The Many Saints of Newark, which will be a show in the 60s riots setting with the prime mobster era days. Does anyone have any info on this show being filmed? A lot would have to be filmed in Newark to have the setting.

This makes me want to watch the rest of Boardwalk Empire. I only watched to the 2nd season. Both are historic shows which shows some NJ history.
Depends on who writes the history, doesn't it?


MO did say we need to rewrite our history.... which is happening now.


So keep an open mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2019, 02:37 PM
 
12,040 posts, read 9,928,687 times
Reputation: 16590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
It's not going to be a series but a movie (a movie theater movie, not Netflix or HBO).

With David Chase producing/writing I am assuming/hoping they will be filming all around in NJ like they did with The Sopranos.

From what I read yesterday, the focus seems to be on Dickie Moltisanti (Christopher's dad) and his relationship to Tony. The 'Many Saints' in the title is an allusion to 'Moltisanti'.

Alessandro Nivola (yay) is cast as Dickie Moltisanti.

The other actors attached as of now are Jon Bernthal (yay), Corey Stoll, Billy Magnussen, and Vera Farmiga (double yay) who is from Irvington. My guess is she'll be playing Livia Soprano, but who knows.

I wanna know who's going to play Uncle Jun.

I will most likely wait till this available for streaming, but if any movie gets me back into an actual movie theater (it's been years), it will be this one.
I think she'll make a great Livia if that's who she's been cast as. She was excellent, imo, as Norma Bates in Bates Motel. She can play someone with a mental illness very well, she nails it. You know an actor or actress is good when their character make you mad, you actually feel something watching them and grow to really dislike their character, which is how I felt through a lot of Bates Motel with Norma and also how I often felt watching Nancy Marchand as Livia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2019, 08:14 AM
 
16 posts, read 6,176 times
Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
It's not going to be a series but a movie (a movie theater movie, not Netflix or HBO).

With David Chase producing/writing I am assuming/hoping they will be filming all around in NJ like they did with The Sopranos.

From what I read yesterday, the focus seems to be on Dickie Moltisanti (Christopher's dad) and his relationship to Tony. The 'Many Saints' in the title is an allusion to 'Moltisanti'.

Alessandro Nivola (yay) is cast as Dickie Moltisanti.

The other actors attached as of now are Jon Bernthal (yay), Corey Stoll, Billy Magnussen, and Vera Farmiga (double yay) who is from Irvington. My guess is she'll be playing Livia Soprano, but who knows.

I wanna know who's going to play Uncle Jun.

I will most likely wait till this available for streaming, but if any movie gets me back into an actual movie theater (it's been years), it will be this one.
Jon Bernthal was just signed to be an actor in the film. Being that he’s Jewish we might see him as a young Hesh, although a great actor like him we still might see as a young Junior or even Tony’s dad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2019, 08:04 PM
 
5,717 posts, read 5,927,828 times
Reputation: 2551
Is there a Ukrainian community in Irvington? Something tells me that is not right, her growing up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2019, 09:17 PM
 
12,040 posts, read 9,928,687 times
Reputation: 16590
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Is there a Ukrainian community in Irvington? Something tells me that is not right, her growing up there.
From wikipedia - "Farmiga considers herself to be "100% Ukrainian American".[10] She was raised in an insular Ukrainian American community in Irvington, New Jersey, with Ukrainian as her native language.[3] She did not learn English until she started kindergarten at age six.[11] At age 12, the family moved from Irvington to Whitehouse Station, New Jersey.[12] She attended St. John the Baptist Ukrainian Catholic School in Newark, New Jersey, and toured with a Ukrainian folk-dancing ensemble, Syzokryli, during her teen years.[13][14] . . . In 1991, she graduated from Hunterdon Central Regional High School.[18]"

Not surprised her family eventually moved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top