Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 07:13 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,604,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
My son has Scottish in him.
That's such a sad but kind of happy story. Amazing how they bounce back like that, dad did that too.
Hopefully your partner is making sure she gets mammo's. That has to be so scary.
Her mom sounded like a nice lady. Stinks the good ones go and the bad ones stick around.

Roses have come a long way. As long as you know how deep to plant them you should be fine. Usually, you have to cover that nuckle, I plant it about 2 or so inches down. Once that freezes it could be toast. I used to lose them until I learned the right way to plant. Now I can;t kill them to make room for more lol
My partner has to get mammograms done every 6 months and sometimes followed by an ultrasound. She has alot cysts (sp/). I do worry for her and her sister. I actually planted some yellow roses for her mom - was her favorite but they never made it. I guess I never buried the "knuckle".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 05:54 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
My partner has to get mammograms done every 6 months and sometimes followed by an ultrasound. She has alot cysts (sp/). I do worry for her and her sister. I actually planted some yellow roses for her mom - was her favorite but they never made it. I guess I never buried the "knuckle".

Thankfully it doesn't run in my family. I had one done a few years ago, it killed my back.

I know of a few people where it ran in the family, they opted to have their breasts removed then rebuilt. One loves her new boobs better then the old.

You also may have done a hybrid tea, which are tender. There's a nice floribunda called Sunsprite that is pretty hardy. It also has scent which is a plus.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Thankfully it doesn't run in my family. I had one done a few years ago, it killed my back.

I know of a few people where it ran in the family, they opted to have their breasts removed then rebuilt. One loves her new boobs better then the old.

You also may have done a hybrid tea, which are tender. There's a nice floribunda called Sunsprite that is pretty hardy. It also has scent which is a plus.
I had my first one ever last year - all went well : ) I did get a compliment from the woman doing the exam... she set me all up and then said "oh, I guess I need the larger plates"... lol - I still hated it! There's some new type of testing out - I need to recall what it was but it didn't have anything to do with "put the booby on the plate". No doubt it's not an approved testing method for most insurance companies - they are so far behind the times!!!

Old 04-11-2008, 12:12 AM

757 posts, read 3,362,982 times
Quote:
Hah! I have one today, and I'm about a year overdue.

Roselvr, don't count on lack of family history as diminishing your odds. Well, you are less likely to get BrCa than someone who has the genes, but only about 10% of people with breast cancer have the gene. My sister-in-law had two tumors in one breast, discovered around age 47, no family history. Five years later, she's doing fine. My best friend's small tumor was discovered when she was still in her 30s, again no family history. She underwent the optional chemo, in addition to the radiation following her rad-mod mastectomy, but she was not so lucky.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Hah! I have one today, and I'm about a year overdue. Shame on me.

Roselvr, don't count on lack of family history as diminishing your odds. Well, you are less likely to get BrCa than someone who has the genes, but only about 10% of people with breast cancer have the gene. My sister-in-law had two tumors in one breast, discovered around age 47, no family history. Five years later, she's doing fine. My best friend's small tumor was discovered when she was still in her 30s, again no family history. She underwent the optional chemo, in addition to the radiation following her rad-mod mastectomy, but she was not so lucky.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbro View Post
Hah! I have one today, and I'm about a year overdue. Shame on me.

Good advice carbro. So many people assume that if it doesn't run in the family that they are ok! No true at all. No history in my mom's family yet she developed BC in her late 60's. There was a story a while back - Oprah interviewed a guy who wrote a book in honor of his wife who died from breast cancer. She had her mammogram each year... she even had ultrasounds done - no signs of breast cancer....so even the tests that are available are not 100% full proof. I have to find that book as it was really a tear jerker - valuable information as well!

Old 04-11-2008, 01:06 PM

Yes, my friend who died, after her surgery and treatment, religiously had mammos every six months. The recurrence was sudden and incredibly aggressive, taking her about four months after it was finally discovered through a tumor on her scalp, of all places.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:15 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Not sure if I mentioned it, my MIL is currently battling Invasive ductal carcinoma, no history there. so point taken.

FWIW, I have more chances to get a certain type of leukemia after being exposed to chemicals and focus my attention on that. Once my life calms down some I will look to have another mammo done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
I have to find that book as it was really a tear jerker - valuable information as well!
I've done enough crying this last week.. Can't handle any more. lol

Quote:
Yes, my friend who died, after her surgery and treatment, religiously had mammos every six months. The recurrence was sudden and incredibly aggressive, taking her about four months after it was finally discovered through a tumor on her scalp, of all places.
Is it possible she developed a different form of cancer? My FIL passed from a rare form of cancer, it was also found in his scalp. He was like number 32 to have this type.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:20 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,517,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marye711 View Post
My feelings are very mixed on this subject. I for one watched both parents die slowly, although my Dad didnt suffer he chocked and was brain dead laid there for 7 weeks very hard to see. My Mom suffered and cried to "just let her go" luckily it happened before we signed to take her off. I also saw KarenAnn Quinlan curled up in her bed as her parent watched her whittle away to nothing also brain dead......(she was in the same home as my Grandmother).....I do agree if there is no chance they should be allowed to die in dignity, on the other hand, who gave us the right to play God? I will probably get alot of flack for this but that is my honest opinion.
Suprisingly I agree with you on this! Very mixed feeling for the exact same reasons you said!!!

Old 10-21-2008, 03:47 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,716,727 times
I am all for assisted suicide. My mother battled MS for 30 years and the last decade of her illness, she prayed every single day for death. It was very hard for me to see such a strong woman suffer the way she did.

It got so bad during the last two years, that she cried all the time pleading us to end her life...she just couldn't take it anymore. Finally, on August 1st, 1996 she was admitted into the hospital for routine tests, and that's where she choked to death while eating dinner. The MS finally won.

I am a big believer in choosing when to die...on your terms. Nobody has that right to tell you when to throw in the towel, and when to keep fighting. It's a very personal decision and it should be honored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey