U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 03:59 PM

1,893 posts, read 3,072,680 times
Moderator cut: thanks, taken care of
I read through every single post and cried through the whole thing, I felt sorrow for everyone who posted and re-lived my last day at the bedside of both my parents as they died. Then I come up to WWOD!!!. I'm not buying it. No offense to your opinion and I'm truly sorry for your losses.

Last edited by tahiti; 10-24-2008 at 09:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 05:21 PM

3,855 posts, read 6,642,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
I am all for assisted suicide. My mother battled MS for 30 years and the last decade of her illness, she prayed every single day for death. It was very hard for me to see such a strong woman suffer the way she did.

It got so bad during the last two years, that she cried all the time pleading us to end her life...she just couldn't take it anymore. Finally, on August 1st, 1996 she was admitted into the hospital for routine tests, and that's where she choked to death while eating dinner. The MS finally won.

I am a big believer in choosing when to die...on your terms. Nobody has that right to tell you when to throw in the towel, and when to keep fighting. It's a very personal decision and it should be honored.
I agree with you 100%. The option should be available for those who want to use it. It is a personal decision and no one else's business. It is a choice and if someone is against it-the answer is simple. Don't do it.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:06 PM

6,731 posts, read 7,312,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marye711 View Post
My feelings are very mixed on this subject. I for one watched both parents die slowly, although my Dad didnt suffer he chocked and was brain dead laid there for 7 weeks very hard to see. My Mom suffered and cried to "just let her go" luckily it happened before we signed to take her off. I also saw KarenAnn Quinlan curled up in her bed as her parent watched her whittle away to nothing also brain dead......(she was in the same home as my Grandmother).....I do agree if there is no chance they should be allowed to die in dignity, on the other hand, who gave us the right to play God? I will probably get alot of flack for this but that is my honest opinion.
I don't know if you have, but I hope not.

Sick people have IV's dripping and oxygen hissing and meds being administered to them, sometimes fed through a G-tube. Monitors and ventilators are the norm in a hospital situation. We are playing God. God would let the terminally ill die sooner.

I thank my Father's doctors for stopping aggressively treating him and trying to make him comfortable for the last few days of his life.

He went into the hospital for some tests and to change a number of his medications in a controlled setting. There was one complication after another. Medical teams fought for days to try and make things better. It wasn't going to happen; he wasn't ever going to go home again. His Dr. came to me and said that there was nothing more that they could do and they would just try and make him comfortable for the duration. Basically, they screwed up. At the very least they didn't decide to make him be alive just for the sake of being alive.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:58 AM

4,070 posts, read 7,111,220 times
Default Dying with Dignity

I believe we all should have the right to choose. With all the advances in the medical field, although we are living longer, I am not sure in some cases of the quality of life. I agree with TAHITI: sign those living wills and make your family aware of your wishes.

IF YOU ARE SINGLE: Make sure you have a will, medical /power of attorney, and write down all your accounts/assets/liabilities/etc. with contact telephone numbers. A friend recently passed, who was single, and the family is trying to figure everything out. Don't forget about guardians for your children.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:35 PM

5,343 posts, read 8,718,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
I watched this documentary last night on the Sundance channel called "Dying at Grace" and was wondering how my fellow Jersians felt about this topic. It was filmed at a Canadian Hospice. They filmed several people though the process of dying. I had tears streaming down my face throughout the whole show as it brought back so many painful memories of having to watch my mother suffer through her last few days - gasping for air and being strapped to her bed so she couldn't pull out any tubes. My question is, how many people in here feel that we should have a right to be humanly uthinized if there is no hope whatsoever that we will survive an illness? If one of our pets gets ill and they are suffering, this is what we do but why can't we have this option when we are terminally ill?
Wiley..... As I watched my beloved father in law suffer like I could not imagine anyone suffering I thought the SAME THING.

I am still so shaken over seeing how he met his end. Mercifully, he suffered for a short period of time compared to others. I don't see any reason to torture humans like this..... none. I don't understand it and I understand it less now.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:44 PM

329 posts, read 1,031,496 times
Everyone has a constitutional right of passive euthanasia, I think. Go did your BOR. That is you can refuse medical treatment even while dying. Hope this jerko Obama does one good thing by making active euthanasia lawful also. He has a whole democrat majority congress and a team of liberal lawyers to support him.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:38 AM

3,855 posts, read 6,642,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Wiley..... As I watched my beloved father in law suffer like I could not imagine anyone suffering I thought the SAME THING.

I am still so shaken over seeing how he met his end. Mercifully, he suffered for a short period of time compared to others. I don't see any reason to torture humans like this..... none. I don't understand it and I understand it less now.
I agree-the hardest thing for me is seeing a loved one suffer. Unfortunately, a lot of times procedures supposed to make them better actually prolong the suffering. I know you will be hurting for a long time EEEP it is hard to lose a loved one and see them suffer. Thankfully your FIL is no longer suffering and he is at peace.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:28 AM

1,823 posts, read 1,663,105 times
This is a sore subject for me also. I watched my dad fight pulmonary fibrosis and lets just say the fact that we allow our loved ones to go through soooo much sickens me. I can only hope that when my time comes we have changed our minds about this subject.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownJerseyCity View Post
I am all for assisted suicide. My mother battled MS for 30 years and the last decade of her illness, she prayed every single day for death. It was very hard for me to see such a strong woman suffer the way she did.

It got so bad during the last two years, that she cried all the time pleading us to end her life...she just couldn't take it anymore. Finally, on August 1st, 1996 she was admitted into the hospital for routine tests, and that's where she choked to death while eating dinner. The MS finally won.

I am a big believer in choosing when to die...on your terms. Nobody has that right to tell you when to throw in the towel, and when to keep fighting. It's a very personal decision and it should be honored.
Wow, sorry to hear that .... it can be so awful.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
This is a sore subject for me also. I watched my dad fight pulmonary fibrosis and lets just say the fact that we allow our loved ones to go through soooo much sickens me. I can only hope that when my time comes we have changed our minds about this subject.
I do understand all sides of the argument... I do. But I think it should be a choice. Toward the end, with my fil, it was not living. It was not even surviving. It was torture. Pure and simple. Not a case where MAYBE you can survive, but this was where there is not a blessed chance in hell... and you are just waiting for the inevitable. It's like hell on Earth.

While you can elect to not have further treatments (that's what hospice is all about) there is still unimaginable suffering. And yes, we won't let our pets suffer like that, but it's ok to let Mom, Dad, or heaven forbid your child..... why?

I also read a lot of Pope John Paul 2's writings on his suffering at the end of his life. They were really enlightening. As a Christian - a liberal Christian who does not always agree with ANY religion including my own - but I do see where - again - only from a Christian point of view and I know this is not a legal matter - I can see where Jesus suffered so who are we to think we should not... but still overall....I don't believe that human life should end with such suffering. Think of it.... they have lethal injections for criminals when getting the death penalty because it's "Humane" but when it's a good person dying of a horrible disease....let them suffer.

I know I just opened a zillion cans of worms.... but I'm just thinking out loud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey