U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 11:46 AM

21 posts, read 12,201 times

Advertisements

NJ property taxes are so high! If only has Social Security as an income then they'll struggle to make a living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 11:56 AM

16,320 posts, read 11,295,768 times
Wouldn't it be great if to balance the equity between the raise in the minimum wage and retirees pension and SS income, guvmurph would minimize taxes that punish retirees?

Wonder if guvmurph ever consider the stats which show increased retiree exodus and if guvmurph sees any value in retaining retires or does he consider them a burden to be taxed into oblivion?

Guvmurph would do well to make NJ a sanctuary state for retirees.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:26 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,093,948 times
Many are forced to move even though they have fully paid off homes. It's sad.

Retirees under a certain income level shouldn't have to pay school taxes. Municipal and county, sure (plowing, fire, police, etc)

Old 01-18-2019, 12:27 PM

13,621 posts, read 14,692,760 times
Quote:
Can retirees afford property taxes?
I'm retired and can, no problem.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:33 PM

9,052 posts, read 16,494,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Many are forced to move even though they have fully paid off homes. It's sad.

Retirees under a certain income level shouldn't have to pay school taxes. Municipal and county, sure (plowing, fire, police, etc)
Yes, they should pay school taxes.

Can't pay them.

Setup a program where Property taxes are placed as a lien on the home at some small percent of interest, (Say Tied to the TBill rate) The retired person moves/dies the taxes get paid then.

But there has to be enough equity in the home to pay the taxes from the sale of the home. Actuality sound, based on their ages, Taxes, and a normal growth rate.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:44 PM

13,621 posts, read 14,692,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Yes, they should pay school taxes.

Can't pay them.

Setup a program where Property taxes are placed as a lien on the home at some small percent of interest, (Say Tied to the TBill rate) The retired person moves/dies the taxes get paid then.

But there has to be enough equity in the home to pay the taxes from the sale of the home. Actuality sound, based on their ages, Taxes, and a normal growth rate.
Everyone with any sort of income should pay something for schools.

First, shut down the special Abbott funding method (nevergonnahappen.com, LOL)

Second,why not try a version of the model used in some of the advanced countries (too lazy to look them up).

Let the state give each student the same number of dollars and let the parent(s) choose which school they attend be it public or private.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:51 PM

35,553 posts, read 43,773,021 times
I know you are in New Jersey, but even in other states, rising property taxes are one of the biggest challenges to afford.

Ours went up $800. this year, because of school taxes. It makes a big difference to us.

Old 01-18-2019, 01:33 PM

583 posts, read 447,859 times
I assume you know about the NJ senior tax freeze and annual property tax deduction for seniors. It won't lower your taxes but it won't raise them either.
https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/relief.shtml

Old 01-18-2019, 02:21 PM

21 posts, read 12,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
I assume you know about the NJ senior tax freeze and annual property tax deduction for seniors. It won't lower your taxes but it won't raise them either.
https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/relief.shtml

Thanks. I didn't know about this.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:12 PM

1,609 posts, read 670,338 times
I guess it depends on the house. If you have a modest home and it is paid off, then the utilities and property taxes (considering the write off on State Income Tax) would still probably be cheaper than renting an apartment. The NJ state income tax is very low for retirees, and utilities are reasonable (except for water which is why my lawn is anything that doesn't need water and is green). You have to look at the whole picture, not just one piece of it. I don't mind my taxes supporting schools. I have three grandkids that are benefitting. That said, if all I had was SS and no other income, it would be a struggle to make ends meet. Probably would be looking for cheaper living arrangements.

Last edited by bobspez; 01-18-2019 at 03:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or