U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 09:19 PM

38 posts, read 129,237 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. Me and my family have looked into moving to West Paterson, we have a relative there who can help me get into a good education over there, and my father with a job in the education system as a pc technician. Anyhow on our visit there today we saw that Paterson itself is in a bit of a bad condition... personally, i'd say comparable to that of Newark. It surprised me pretty much how Elizabeth looks a lot better than it. Anyway my question is;

What steps is the Paterson council taking to remedy some of their problems? Are they doing an effort to clean up their streets and better the life of their citizens (Like how i've noticed in Elizabeth has been going) also, is there a 'spillover' effect of Paterson crime into West Paterson? The proximity of each other is a bit of a concern for me. Anyhow, if someone could help me clear up my doubts, i would appreciate it! I have faith that there is some good in NJ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2006, 03:12 AM

4,899 posts, read 16,108,985 times
hi
i have lived in WP for 3 years and in fact my neighbors across the street have a paterson address. all the towns around here just run right into eachother...but not the crime. west paterson is a safe town, and this section of paterson is the same. the "bad" section or "downtown" is about a mile or more away.
actually they are trying to revitalize downtown paterson and have been for a few years. they have redone many historic buildings, and some of them are now condo's with quite a high price tag! they are also building something called "CENTER CITY" with a whole new construction in the historic area. its going to be a giant mall/theater/parking.
in WP,the schools are good and the high school is in little falls shared by WP and totowa.
good luck

Old 01-26-2008, 04:44 PM

5 posts, read 20,697 times
I understand that they are developing the Rt. 20 area. Home Depot should be completed some time in '08. It is also reported that a shopping mall is slated to go up soon which will include an AppleBees. There are also developers working on building more market rate housing for the area. One of the big hospitals is also going to spend $250 million on expansion, and the creation of a new hotel. I also recall reading something about a redevelopment plan for the surrounding 52 blocks that will coincide with this huge expansion. For more information you might consider looking at Patersononline.net

Old 05-21-2012, 08:22 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,897,096 times
The new Great Falls Historic Park...once the US Park Service is up and running there....should bring in much more tourist dollars and investment to that part of the city. Stay tuned.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:59 AM

48 posts, read 25,228 times
revitalize downtown paterson and have been for a few years. they have redone many historic buildings, and some of them are now condo's with quite a high price tag! they are also

this "ain't happening, it's further deteriorating, just not going to happen. When a city is mainly 1 demographic, that's about what it will stay. not to criticize any group; however, seems that like stays w/ like. there are good people in Paterson, trying to work hard raise their kids, etc. we , in Paterson, as in many other urban areas have a major problem w/ teen pregnancies, high crime rate, drugs, shootings, etc. Poor management, politicians are useless. NJ is a high priced area in which to live, regardless of the area. people are leaving and I mean people who can afford to stay; however, they are tired of the $$$$$ real estate taxes.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:37 PM

9,194 posts, read 13,508,593 times
Looking at that old message... Great Falls remains a small park surrounded by grinding poverty.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:01 AM

235 posts, read 100,777 times
Didn't West Paterson change their name to Woodland Park in order to get rid of Paterson in their name? I think realtors had a lot to do with that.

In the grand scheme of things, having Paterson as a next door neighbor would be less of a concern than the fact that a lot of West Paterson is in a flood zone. It is a very flat area near the Passaic River.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:51 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,238,203 times
West Paterson is home to one of the world's bizarrest intersection names: Corner of Weaseldrift Road and Rifle Camp Road.

Old 04-28-2017, 02:18 PM

49,669 posts, read 49,132,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
West Paterson is home to one of the world's bizarrest intersection names: Corner of Weaseldrift Road and Rifle Camp Road.
I know. I used to live near there.

They tried to change the name when I lived there (1986-1996) and we voted it down. It wasn't Woodland Park, it was something else.

Eventually, I think as the town got more built up and more newcomers arrived, they influenced the name change. It will always be West Pat to me. "Woodland Park" is gagworthy.

Old 04-28-2017, 02:27 PM

49,669 posts, read 49,132,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ to MA View Post
Didn't West Paterson change their name to Woodland Park in order to get rid of Paterson in their name? I think realtors had a lot to do with that.

In the grand scheme of things, having Paterson as a next door neighbor would be less of a concern than the fact that a lot of West Paterson is in a flood zone. It is a very flat area near the Passaic River.
Um, no. Are you serious??? One small part of town, yes, down along the Passaic floods, but the major, overriding geographical feature of West Paterson--THE REASON FOR ITS EXISTENCE--is that the majority of the town sits on Garrett Mountain. The weather problem in WP is not flooding. It's ice and snow on very steep hills.

Neither Paterson, nor Totowa, nor Little Falls, the latter of which it was a part, wanted to deal with the roads and buildings on the side of a mountain, so West Paterson said FU--we will be our own town. Or so the old-timers told the tale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or