Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 04:56 PM

809 posts, read 1,330,942 times

Advertisements

We lived in New Jersey from 1986 to 1989 and had NJ drivers license at that time. We moved to PA in March of 1989.
We don't remember exactly when, but we did get PA licenses sometime in 1989. Our NJ licenses were taken from us when we got the PA license.

We recently moved to NC. We went to get our NC license yesterday and the computer records showed my husband had a traffic ticket on his NJ license from Oct. 1992 in Camden NJ.(Remember we moved in 1989).

NC will not issue him a license until the matter in NJ is resolved.

We spoke to PA DMV to find out when we got the PA license. They claim the records only go back to 1995.
We contacted NJ DMV but they told us the only solution was to pay the fine and reinstate his license. It was over $1000 with all the penalities, etc.

We do remember who the insurance agent was at the time we moved to PA and checked with them. They do not have records back that far either.

My husband had to have a PA license to work, so we know this is a mistake. He has had many security clearances and this has never shown up before.

ANyone have any other suggestions as to how we can resolve this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 09:17 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,851,625 times
This sounds like the kind of bureaucratic snafu that your local council person or state senator may be able to assist. These politicians have staffs that deal with this type of stuff all day long. The politicians know that if they help you with this than they've got your vote.

Since you did not have NJ licenses in the year the ticket was given than the ticket likely was written with the incorrect driver's license number. One digit written incorrectly on the ticket could probably make this happen.

Contact a local politician and they should be able to make this mess disappear.

Good luck. Let us know how it all turns out.

Old 01-24-2019, 02:18 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,877 times
Sounds like something for a lawyer

Old 01-24-2019, 04:09 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,145,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Sounds like something for a lawyer
At $350/hour it would be cheaper just to pay the ticket.

Old 01-24-2019, 04:29 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,586,846 times
I would think you could contact the town where the ticket is from and get the details like name, address, description of car ,etc, then you would know for sure whether its you or a total mistake and they could wipe it out if the surrounding details are wrong. Explain the situation and try to get a copy of the summons.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:31 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,877 times
I think you would have to go to the Camden Traffic Court and prove you didn't even have a NJ license at the time and get the judge to lift it. But how is that going to be easier than just paying the $1000 bucks, I don't know. My thought was to get a local lawyer to do it, but again, not going to really pay off as ansky noted.

You could try calling Camden Traffic Violations. We did that for an erroneous parking ticket in Jersey City and got it lifted but I don't know about such an old ticket. But the chance of getting anyone in Camden to fix this for you 27 years later is slim

Old 01-25-2019, 06:44 PM

809 posts, read 1,330,942 times
A bit more to the story. We moved back to PA in 1989. We got PA driver license in 1989. Additionally my husband sold his car to a local used car dealer where we lived because he had a company car. We got more details. The ticket was was a parking ticket, not moving violation, in Oct 1992. Apparently the dealer sold the car with the plates and there was a parking violation in Camden. They traced the license plate to my husband's license-it was our address in New Jersey.

When my husband spoke to traffic court, the option was to appear in court and perhaps the judge would dismiss. (we aren't making a 10 hr trip one way- we would need to stay overnight- we also aren't going into Camden. We don't have any records that far back, although we did have our tax returns and could prove when we moved.

We did take Daliowa's advice and contacted our local rep. His aide contacted a politician in NJ. The NJ aide is suppose to call us and hopefully be able to take care of this.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:22 AM

Quick comment on this,,, always take your license plates with you. I once gave a car to a friend and a year or two later got a letter from a town on the NJ shore. Car was parked then towed, owed ticket, towing, daily storage fees, all for doing someone a favor. I had left the plates on so he could drive it away, he was supposed to return the plates and he swore it was parked off the street.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:26 AM

Another friend of mine in NY had a similar problem only because they have windshield registration stickers and he left his old one on. Someone left car parked and he had to sit in NY court to clear his license.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:37 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,252,535 times
You can hire a local traffic court lawyer to represent you for a lower rate, traffic court lawyers do not charge anywhere near $350 an hour. Check if you have to be in court in person. The local lawyer should know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey