Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 01:51 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,276,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Most of the housing stock in NJ is crap. Old and used up. Even stuff from the 90s is ready for an overhaul.
Old doesn't mean "crap" and "used up". ALL homes are going to need maintenance, even new ones. You don't build a house then never do any work on it ever again. Some old houses are far better built than some new ones. There was a new house near us that hit the market at 1.1 million, and ended up being sold for 779,000 because it wasn't built and finished well.

If the OP is serious about finding a home, she needs to first figure out a location that won't ruin her life trying to commute to the city, yet has homes in her price range, regardless of their size or outward appearance. Then suck it up and realize that she may have to have a smaller place than she'd like, or she may have to have a well, or perhaps might have to live with dingy carpet, old cabinets, and outdated tile for a couple years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 02:04 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Old doesn't mean "crap" and "used up". ALL homes are going to need maintenance, even new ones. You don't build a house then never do any work on it ever again. Some old houses are far better built than some new ones. There was a new house near us that hit the market at 1.1 million, and ended up being sold for 779,000 because it wasn't built and finished well.

If the OP is serious about finding a home, she needs to first figure out a location that won't ruin her life trying to commute to the city, yet has homes in her price range, regardless of their size or outward appearance. Then suck it up and realize that she may have to have a smaller place than she'd like, or she may have to have a well, or perhaps might have to live with dingy carpet, old cabinets, and outdated tile for a couple years.
"Used up" meaning the major systems and finishes have hit the end of their useful life. Sure if something has been kept up, great. But not a lot of that out there on the market or it has a few things done here and there. And it's not just old houses. Even houses built in the 90s are hitting that point now.

I agree with your second paragraph (not specific to the OP but in general). It is a personal finance problem in the end. We don't have new housing developments for the most part. So in many cases, you need to buy something and redo it yourself. The best way is to renovate it before you move in, but that takes cash (as opposed to mortgage debt) and an alternate place to live in the meantime.

Old 01-27-2019, 02:28 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,194,501 times
Quote:
Most of the housing stock in NJ is crap. Old and used up. Even stuff from the 90s is ready for an overhaul.

IMO a lot of "let go" not kept up homes that one gets to purchase at a premium price and mostly pay exhorbitant property taxes.

Corrupt NJ state/local governments = property (and other taxes) will only keep on going way up IMO.
If one thinking of purchasing that is just about making ends meet, I'd advise either don't purchase any home OR leave NJ for a less expensive state but do the proper in depth research before doing so.

Old 01-27-2019, 04:15 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
IMO a lot of "let go" not kept up homes that one gets to purchase at a premium price and mostly pay exhorbitant property taxes.

Corrupt NJ state/local governments = property (and other taxes) will only keep on going way up IMO.
If one thinking of purchasing that is just about making ends meet, I'd advise either don't purchase any home OR leave NJ for a less expensive state but do the proper in depth research before doing so.
You are entitled to your opinion no matter how uninformed it is.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:53 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
+1
Flooding from the Raritan River is a long-term problem in both Manville and Bound Brook, although it looks like the US Army Corps of Engineers' flood mitigation project in Bound Brook has been effective. And then, there is the reality that both of those towns are located in Somerset County, not Middlesex County.
Haha. I didn't even realize that.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:22 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
It sounds like the OP just wants to complain.To accuse all agents ,Lawyers inspectors of being dishonest is a cop out. The problem lies with the OP not everyone else.
I agree, lol I would love to hear the realtors side of the story.

Old 01-28-2019, 03:16 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I also found that to be... curious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I would say "ridiculous" is a better way of putting it.
Do you even realize how many people commute to NYC from the Lehigh Valley, let alone western NJ? Thousands each day. Nothing unusual or curious about it. They have two bus lines to NYC from out here.

Quote:
True that. Look a little further out in PA. Much newer and more quality homes, lower taxes.

Old 01-28-2019, 03:25 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
Well, I assume OP, you are buying by yourself.

You are competing against couples who have the power of two incomes for homes, and in NJ in particular you are also competing against people who use the full time incomes of MANY persons to purchase a house.

Anyone lives in NJ knows what I'm talking about.

So, is it a surprise that homes are so expensive?

You can get a nice condo for 150K? Why would you need more than that?

Old 01-28-2019, 06:48 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Do you even realize how many people commute to NYC from the Lehigh Valley, let alone western NJ? Thousands each day. Nothing unusual or curious about it. They have two bus lines to NYC from out here.

True that. Look a little further out in PA. Much newer and more quality homes, lower taxes.
True that what??? Please explain?

Old 01-28-2019, 08:39 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,276,892 times
I don't understand this dislike of old houses. The really old ones - I love the stone foundations and the big fireplaces. I love the proportions of the rooms and the plaster walls. The sort-of old ones like mine (1957), I love seeing my daughter curl up on a cushion next to the radiator with a book. I love seeing the diagonal wood planks of the subfloor when I'm in the basement, complete with the finger- and handprints of whomever installed them, and how solid the floors are as a result. I like the character of the barely visible lines of the old 3 ft drywall panels in the ceiling. Old houses are awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey