U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 03:42 PM

23 posts, read 14,084 times

Advertisements

Uggh. I’ve literally been in the housing market for 13 months. Like the average NJ resident, I live in NJ and work in NYC. It’s literally “hell on wheels” to find a New Jersey home. It’s frustrating, depressing, demoralizing, and any other adjectives you can think to describe the New Jersey homebuying experience.

Each time I found a home, I find something highly unappealing. I have made offers for homes in Manville, Howellx2, Netcong, Hackettstown, even far as Phillipsburg and now recently Woodbridge. I’ve been through 8 real estate agents, 3 attorneys, and 2 inspectors. All of which are dishonest and motivated by greed.

Manville-The house I saw in manville was beautiful with a basement. problem- Flooding issues;

Howell- beautiful 3200sqft home. Problem- couldn’t get permit for new septic tank and front porch was settling

Howell 2- 2500sqft home, on 0.7 acres. This was real estate agents fault. Stupid woman didn’t know there was an upstairs. The seller made an offer 2 days later with another buyer.
Fired her right away.

Netcong- the attic was breathtaking. Ample room in the house. Except, I’m not really a fan of well water.

Hackettstown- beautiful home with an HOA. Problem. Too far from nyc. Overpriced. Cost too much to travel from New York to Hackettstown. It was a homepath property. Dropped $25,000.00 after I saw it.

Phillipsburg- again beautiful home. However, i recently discovered that Warren, Hunterdon, and Sussex counties are on the list of counties with very high radon counts. The house I saw had no radon mitigation unit. Levels were quite high. Stupid agent didn’t know what a radon mitigation unit. Couldn’t purchase this home.

Middlesex- garbage Home. But so desperate for a home that I made an offer. House appraised for exactly the amount of what the seller is offering. Tenants are living in the property. The owner wants full appraisal amount for the house without ever making any repairs in the house. And I recently found out today this POS owner owns 9 other properties. Sidewalk is settling towards the house so that water drains into the basement, ceiling is leaking, but yet they want full appraised value of the home.

Since I started looking for homes in 2017, the housing values have dropped. I think what real estate investors thought was that people from Brooklyn and Staten Island were going to sell their homes for millions of dollArs and move to NJ thereby increasing the property values. But people from Staten Island and Brooklyn are skipping New Jersey and moving elsewhere. The property taxes are too high, which I think will cause property values to decrease. Too many renters and not enough supply. Too many people and not enough units. Too many people, no units, and no jobs. Who’s going to pay the teachers, doctors, nurses?? Most real estate agents are very dishonest. I haven’t met not one that’s not dishonest. Houses are useless in NJ due to high property taxes. Maybe I should purchase a condo?? Perhaps I should leave.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 03:59 PM

3,183 posts, read 1,282,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackGirl View Post
Most real estate agents are very dishonest. I haven’t met not one that’s not dishonest. Houses are useless in NJ due to high property taxes. Maybe I should purchase a condo?? Perhaps I should leave.
I don't live in New Jersey but this was my experience in Mass. It took me 4 years -- 4 years -- to find a place that met my needs and had a reasonable price and then, I moved in... pulled up the rug and realized that the top floor had sunk down and was not even -- clearly the owners had put down a berber rug to try and hide that fact and and my real estate agent AND the home inspector had not said a thing.

During my search I found a great unit and the real estate agent literally took so long to write the offer I lost it. Then a unit opened up in my condo (the same one I was currently living in but more room) and I told her to make an offer and she refused because I hadn't seen it. What are you talking about.... I LIVE IN THE CONDO... I fired her.

I invest in crowdfunding and most of us agree that New Jersey is off limits. All of it is junk. And the judicial process for foreclosure is a nightmare.

If you have the opportunity to leave I would do that. The quality of homes in the south is SOOO MUCH BETTER. I would look at North Carolina and Tennessee.

If you stay and keep looking you might want to see if you can find buyers brokers who are attorneys. I ended up doing that and had a better time (though he didn't catch the sunken floor) -- for the home inspector I would yelp it. Don't go with who they recommend. Real Estate agents recommend home inspectors that won't blow the deal for them.

Old 01-26-2019, 04:28 PM

64,731 posts, read 61,033,589 times
Quote:
Uggh. I’ve literally been in the housing market for 13 months. Like the average NJ resident, I live in NJ and work in NYC. It’s literally “hell on wheels” to find a New Jersey home. It’s frustrating, depressing, demoralizing, and any other adjectives you can think to describe the New Jersey homebuying experience.

Each time I found a home, I find something highly unappealing. I have made offers for homes in Manville, Howellx2, Netcong, Hackettstown, even far as Phillipsburg and now recently Woodbridge. I’ve been through 8 real estate agents, 3 attorneys, and 2 inspectors. All of which are dishonest and motivated by greed.

Manville-The house I saw in manville was beautiful with a basement. problem- Flooding issues;

Howell- beautiful 3200sqft home. Problem- couldn’t get permit for new septic tank and front porch was settling

Howell 2- 2500sqft home, on 0.7 acres. This was real estate agents fault. Stupid woman didn’t know there was an upstairs. The seller made an offer 2 days later with another buyer.
Fired her right away.

Netcong- the attic was breathtaking. Ample room in the house. Except, I’m not really a fan of well water.

Hackettstown- beautiful home with an HOA. Problem. Too far from nyc. Overpriced. Cost too much to travel from New York to Hackettstown. It was a homepath property. Dropped $25,000.00 after I saw it.

Phillipsburg- again beautiful home. However, i recently discovered that Warren, Hunterdon, and Sussex counties are on the list of counties with very high radon counts. The house I saw had no radon mitigation unit. Levels were quite high. Stupid agent didn’t know what a radon mitigation unit. Couldn’t purchase this home.

Middlesex- garbage Home. But so desperate for a home that I made an offer. House appraised for exactly the amount of what the seller is offering. Tenants are living in the property. The owner wants full appraisal amount for the house without ever making any repairs in the house. And I recently found out today this POS owner owns 9 other properties. Sidewalk is settling towards the house so that water drains into the basement, ceiling is leaking, but yet they want full appraised value of the home.

Since I started looking for homes in 2017, the housing values have dropped. I think what real estate investors thought was that people from Brooklyn and Staten Island were going to sell their homes for millions of dollArs and move to NJ thereby increasing the property values. But people from Staten Island and Brooklyn are skipping New Jersey and moving elsewhere. The property taxes are too high, which I think will cause property values to decrease. Too many renters and not enough supply. Too many people and not enough units. Too many people, no units, and no jobs. Who’s going to pay the teachers, doctors, nurses?? Most real estate agents are very dishonest. I haven’t met not one that’s not dishonest. Houses are useless in NJ due to high property taxes. Maybe I should purchase a condo?? Perhaps I should leave.
Curious as to why well water would dissuade you from an otherwise acceptable house. To me, it would be a preference.

Old 01-26-2019, 04:55 PM

16,647 posts, read 6,591,198 times
It sounds like the OP just wants to complain.To accuse all agents ,Lawyers inspectors of being dishonest is a cop out. The problem lies with the OP not everyone else.

Old 01-26-2019, 04:59 PM

676 posts, read 1,000,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Curious as to why well water would dissuade you from an otherwise acceptable house. To me, it would be a preference.
Yeah I’m confused about that. And one house was not acceptable because of an upstairs but then the well water house had a great attic, so I’m confused as to whether OP wants a second level or not. This really sounds like nitpicky things (or maybe too low a budget for some of the areas) except for the last house. I’ve purchased 2 homes in NJ thus far, the most recent being a foreclosure. No serious issues on either one. I wish the OP good luck. I think they should remember that if a house has minor issues, the OP can always fix them later. If they have to have the perfect house, no work needed, then either build your own or expect to wait a long time to find it.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:06 PM

4,864 posts, read 10,253,399 times
The first thing that jumps out at me is that the OP has no focus in their house search. Most people choose an area they like and then focus their home search in that area. The OP has jumped all over the place. Manville, Howell, Netcong....none of these places are anywhere near each other, nor do they offer a reasonable commute to NYC that the OP needs. I think the OP needs to make a list of priorities and focus on 1 area with a real estate agent that specializes in that area.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:45 PM

16,647 posts, read 6,591,198 times
I would ask the Mods to take a second look at the OP.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
Yeah I’m confused about that. And one house was not acceptable because of an upstairs but then the well water house had a great attic, so I’m confused as to whether OP wants a second level or not. This really sounds like nitpicky things (or maybe too low a budget for some of the areas) except for the last house. I’ve purchased 2 homes in NJ thus far, the most recent being a foreclosure. No serious issues on either one. I wish the OP good luck. I think they should remember that if a house has minor issues, the OP can always fix them later. If they have to have the perfect house, no work needed, then either build your own or expect to wait a long time to find it.

Too many contaminants can get into well water. Too much of a bother. The house that I mentioned with an attic was beautiful. But the well water is a huge problem for me. There’s nothing wrong with being extra cautious when buying a home. It’s a lifetime investment

Old 01-26-2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
The first thing that jumps out at me is that the OP has no focus in their house search. Most people choose an area they like and then focus their home search in that area. The OP has jumped all over the place. Manville, Howell, Netcong....none of these places are anywhere near each other, nor do they offer a reasonable commute to NYC that the OP needs. I think the OP needs to make a list of priorities and focus on 1 area with a real estate agent that specializes in that area.
If you look at my list, you would have noticed that I started in somerset and then Monmouth counties. Somerset and Monmouth county are relatively close. Ocean county is too far. I sort of skipped Middlesex County because it’s too close to the Raritan River and the flooding issue over there. Which is why I went to warren and Morris County. Warren And Morris county are relatively close to one another. But then I discovered the radon issues over there. It is not unusual to branch out to other areas in NJ. It is very difficult as a single woman to look for a house by yourself. You are taken advantage of snakes in real estate industry who often do not have your best interest. These filthy lying real estate professionals do not tell you issues related to the township. It took an inspector to tell me about the radon problem in warren county. You have to do the everything yourself.
NJ Real estate agents are amongst the most unprofessional, dishonest people in the garden state. I had one real estate agent that told me that she was going through a divorce, and then brings her 4 year old child to an inspection. I suspected this was some sort of marketing scheme to get me to buy the f house because as soon as her ex husband came to pick up their daughter, they both gave each other a High-five. Like I said, NJ real estate agents are all deceitful and dishonest.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:32 PM

2,196 posts, read 526,809 times
Quote:
If you look at my list, you would have noticed that I started in somerset and then Monmouth counties. Somerset and Monmouth county are relatively close. Ocean county is too far. I sort of skipped Middlesex County because it’s too close to the Raritan River and the flooding issue over there. Which is why I went to warren and Morris County. Warren And Morris county are relatively close to one another. But then I discovered the radon issues over there. It is not unusual to branch out to other areas in NJ. It is very difficult as a single woman to look for a house by yourself. You are taken advantage of snakes in real estate industry who often do not have your best interest. These filthy lying real estate professionals do not tell you issues related to the township. It took an inspector to tell me about the radon problem in warren county. You have to do the everything yourself.
NJ Real estate agents are amongst the most unprofessional, dishonest people in the garden state. I had one real estate agent that told me that she was going through a divorce, and then brings her 4 year old child to an inspection. I suspected this was some sort of marketing scheme to get me to buy the f house because as soon as her ex husband came to pick up their daughter, they both gave each other a High-five. Like I said, NJ real estate agents are all deceitful and dishonest.
all of the places with the possible exception of middlesex are too far for a daily commute into NYC IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or