Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2019, 01:01 PM

47 posts, read 39,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Delays, time to walk/drive to the train station, time waiting for the train, time walking to your place of work from the time you get off the train. It adds up.

oh ok - normal stuff - I thought it was for delays lol - I was like OH NO!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 01:02 PM
46H

1,644 posts, read 1,379,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici1075 View Post
Can I ask why am I adding 30 Minutes?
Generally - you need to leave (depending on how far your home is from the train of bus) time to park your car and walk to the actual train/bus station. Sometimes, the train can show up a few minutes early. We are about 1 mile from the train station, but we leave a minimum of 10 minutes to account for any delays. Then you need to leave room for lateness/transfers in the system while you are getting to NYC. Once in NYC it can take 5 or more minutes just to get out of NYPenn Station or the Port Authority bus terminal. Then you need to get to your work location and then your actual office.

The door to door time can easily be extended by 30 minutes beyond the scheduled time.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
Generally - you need to leave (depending on how far your home is from the train of bus) time to park your car and walk to the actual train/bus station. Sometimes, the train can show up a few minutes early. We are about 1 mile from the train station, but we leave a minimum of 10 minutes to account for any delays. Then you need to leave room for lateness/transfers in the system while you are getting to NYC. Once in NYC it can take 5 or more minutes just to get out of NYPenn Station or the Port Authority bus terminal. Then you need to get to your work location and then your actual office.

The door to door time can easily be extended by 30 minutes beyond the scheduled time.

I want to get a job in NJ I swear LOL - but the money is in NY

Old 02-07-2019, 01:33 PM

538 posts, read 726,213 times
Quote:
oh ok - normal stuff - I thought it was for delays lol - I was like OH NO!
Well, for some commutes delays can be relatively normal. And it's especially been worse the past few months. My train (8:05 from South Orange) is supposed to get in at 8:38, but while I want to say it never happens - it has happened, but maybe like 3 times a year tops. I would say I normally get in about 8:45. Recently it's been closer to 8:50.

Keep in mind Penn Station is a nightmare, so you need to allow 5 minutes to get out of the station.

For perspective here's what my commute tends to be like.

7:44 - Leave my house to get the South Orange jitney to the train station
7:47 - Jitney arrives (usually on time), gets me to the station about 8:00
8:05 - Train to Penn Station. Often on time.
8:38 - HA! Totally not at Penn Station
8:45 - Finally make it to Penn Station
8:50 - I've made it out of Penn Station, start walking to work
9:10 - I've arrived at work.

(When my train is later than 8:50 I usually take a cab to work, generally ends up being $8 and I get there about the same time as if it got in earlier and I walked.)

There area few things I could change to lower the time a little. If I had a parking spot at the train I could shave 10 minutes off my leaving time. If I hustled to make sure I was one of the first people off the train I could probably shave another 5 minutes. And if I walked a little faster I could probably shave another 5 minutes.

It's worth noting that earlier trains tend to make it in on time, my train is pretty much the start of the worst time to be coming into Penn. I can't do earlier because of my son's school bus drop off, so it is what it is. My wife goes in earlier and leaves earlier and she has a lot less problems than I do because she's commuting at a less congested time.

If you're looking around South Orange be sure to check out Maplewood's downtown. It's the cuter of the two. We share a school district as we used to be the same town (and some services are shared). For almost all intents and purposes you should can treat both towns as one, well, South Orange does have a cheaper pool!

If you want to know more about this area, give me a shout!

Old 02-07-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrysdonnell View Post
Well, for some commutes delays can be relatively normal. And it's especially been worse the past few months. My train (8:05 from South Orange) is supposed to get in at 8:38, but while I want to say it never happens - it has happened, but maybe like 3 times a year tops. I would say I normally get in about 8:45. Recently it's been closer to 8:50.

Keep in mind Penn Station is a nightmare, so you need to allow 5 minutes to get out of the station.

For perspective here's what my commute tends to be like.

7:44 - Leave my house to get the South Orange jitney to the train station
7:47 - Jitney arrives (usually on time), gets me to the station about 8:00
8:05 - Train to Penn Station. Often on time.
8:38 - HA! Totally not at Penn Station
8:45 - Finally make it to Penn Station
8:50 - I've made it out of Penn Station, start walking to work
9:10 - I've arrived at work.

(When my train is later than 8:50 I usually take a cab to work, generally ends up being $8 and I get there about the same time as if it got in earlier and I walked.)

There area few things I could change to lower the time a little. If I had a parking spot at the train I could shave 10 minutes off my leaving time. If I hustled to make sure I was one of the first people off the train I could probably shave another 5 minutes. And if I walked a little faster I could probably shave another 5 minutes.

It's worth noting that earlier trains tend to make it in on time, my train is pretty much the start of the worst time to be coming into Penn. I can't do earlier because of my son's school bus drop off, so it is what it is. My wife goes in earlier and leaves earlier and she has a lot less problems than I do because she's commuting at a less congested time.

If you're looking around South Orange be sure to check out Maplewood's downtown. It's the cuter of the two. We share a school district as we used to be the same town (and some services are shared). For almost all intents and purposes you should can treat both towns as one, well, South Orange does have a cheaper pool!

If you want to know more about this area, give me a shout!

You are the best - thank you! I will take all of this into consideration. I will likely DM you to pick your brain more! If that is ok.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:55 PM

538 posts, read 726,213 times
Quote:
You are the best - thank you! I will take all of this into consideration. I will likely DM you to pick your brain more! If that is ok.
You're welcome. Feel free to DM for more info.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:14 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,833,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
And this all assumes there's a train within a reasonable time to your office start time.

For example, if it takes ten minutes from New York Penn to walk to your office and get to your desk your life is awesome if your work day starts at 9 and there's a train that gets in at 8:50.

But what if the train arrival times are 8:40 and 8:55? Now your options are to essentially add ten minutes to your commute or be late for work.

Same with the ride home, is there a train ten minutes after work that you can just make or is it 20 after the hour, then adding another ten minutes to your commute? You've had to add 20 minutes to your 35 minute commute because of reasons relating only to train schedules, not parking, not walking, not delays.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
And this all assumes there's a train within a reasonable time to your office start time.

For example, if it takes ten minutes from New York Penn to walk to your office and get to your desk your life is awesome if your work day starts at 9 and there's a train that gets in at 8:50.

But what if the train arrival times are 8:40 and 8:55? Now your options are to essentially add ten minutes to your commute or be late for work.

Same with the ride home, is there a train ten minutes after work that you can just make or is it 20 after the hour, then adding another ten minutes to your commute? You've had to add 20 minutes to your 35 minute commute because of reasons relating only to train schedules, not parking, not walking, not delays.

Starting to believe that Morris county may not be the best bet this makes me a little sad as I wanted as many options as possible. I will continue to look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey