Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 04:28 AM

2 posts, read 2,009 times

Advertisements

Can anyone suggest where to live that is within a 20 to 40 min drive to Perth Amboy.We are returning for work but we don’t know that area. I saw some houses for rent in State Island but no clue about neighborhood. Also saw a couple places in South Amboy.What is the waterfront area like there?
Our budget is around 1800 to 2000 a month rent. .I am obsessing on moving in to a place that may have roaches....I can handle almost any neighborhood and like places with character but I’m not loving the German Cockroach I like the waterfront but am not sure where.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 07:36 AM

87,952 posts, read 83,773,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deemoody View Post
Can anyone suggest where to live that is within a 20 to 40 min drive to Perth Amboy.We are returning for work but we don’t know that area. I saw some houses for rent in State Island but no clue about neighborhood. Also saw a couple places in South Amboy.What is the waterfront area like there?
Our budget is around 1800 to 2000 a month rent. .I am obsessing on moving in to a place that may have roaches....I can handle almost any neighborhood and like places with character but I’m not loving the German Cockroach I like the waterfront but am not sure where.
Is there another nationality of cockroaches you do like?

Just kidding.

The problem with Staten Island is that a) you will have to pay a toll to go over the Outerbridge Crossing every day. Even with the residential discount, it will add up, and it's a big expense you don't have to worry about if you just stay on the Jersey side.

In addition, because so many Staten Islanders and Brooklynites have moved to Monmouth County but still have family in those boroughs, the OBX traffic gets backed up for miles on holidays. Further, the bridge will be replaced sometime in the next decade, so you'll deal with construction issues, too.

I would look at South Amboy if I were you. Also Aberdeen and Matawan. Keyport is another idea.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:03 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,067,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deemoody View Post
Woodbridge/Edison. 2k will go further in Woodbridge and it's right next door. Edison is a tiny slice further, has generally better options overall but is pricier and, in my humble opinion, traffic sucks because the town doesn't have as many backroad options.

Whatever you choose I definitely agree with MightyQueen, do stay on the Jersey side. It's vastly cheaper for commuting.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:21 AM

19,033 posts, read 25,104,119 times
The OP can count this as another vote for living in NJ, rather than incurring the expense of commuting from Staten Island.

I think that South Amboy, Woodbridge, and Edison are all good choices within the desired travel time. Regarding Woodbridge, remember that it is a township, so some of its rental options will be listed as being in its component towns, such as Avenel, Colonia, and Fords, rather than Woodbridge itself.

Rahway is another possibility.

Welcome to NJ!

Old 03-01-2019, 10:14 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,080,548 times
Why put up with a 20-40 minute drive at all? Focus your search right in Perth Amboy and see what you can find. You might even find a place where you could walk to work.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:40 PM

5,024 posts, read 2,227,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Why put up with a 20-40 minute drive at all? Focus your search right in Perth Amboy and see what you can find. You might even find a place where you could walk to work.
That's what I was going to say. If the OP doesn't have kids, why not Perth Amboy? They don't need good schools, and they're renting, so don't have to worry about future buyers. Why drive 30 minutes through the hell of NJ roads if you don't have to?

Old 03-02-2019, 04:50 PM

23,299 posts, read 16,980,838 times
Fords along new Brunswick ave, hopelawn, both in woodbridge twnsp. Town of Woodbridge. Edison along Amboy ave. Turns into new Brunswick ave and is one of two major roads running east into Perth Amboy.

Where is job in PA?

Old 03-02-2019, 08:09 PM

4,150 posts, read 5,006,503 times
Clark, Westfield, Cranford

Old 03-02-2019, 09:13 PM

1,551 posts, read 2,420,773 times
Why can't it just be in Perth Amboy? If you have no kids I am sure you could live by the waterfront. Perth Amboy's relatively safe.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:58 AM

107 posts, read 111,542 times
Might as well stay around the Amboys. Relatively safe and save yourself the commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey