Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 12:03 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,143,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Taxes in Irvington and Newark are higher than those in East Rutherford, South Plainfield and Secaucus.

Its sad for homeowners in crap towns to pay all those taxes and then get so little back in return. You pay those taxes and then have to pay for private school on top of that!

Lose Lose Situation..
If people could afford private school I don't think they would be living in Irvington or Newark to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 12:16 PM

55 posts, read 51,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewin888 View Post
Why not move out of crap towns?
The people who live in this towns are usually broken into 3 categories:

1. Old people who are delusional about how nice the towns/cities used to be and don’t want to leave
2. People who own the property and make loads of $$$ from HUD by renting it to the freeloaders
3. Freeloaders who pay little to nothing while HUD pays the landlord handsomely

Old 03-06-2019, 04:05 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,907,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnysalami View Post

1. Old people who are delusional about how nice the towns/cities used to be and don’t want to leave
2. People who own the property and make loads of $$$ from HUD by renting it to the freeloaders
In sure there's also plenty of hard-working people that get little respect living there too...such as your CNA's, Medical Assistants, Day care workers, retail/service workers, construction workers, taxi drivers, etc.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:13 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,636,180 times
Quote:

I live in Union City. I would never describe this as a “crap town”; I happen to think this city has a lot going for it. That said, I know many on this forum would consider this a crap town. I’m still here because I have a 3 year old that’s about to enter FREE pre-k 3 this fall. I got another baby on the way. No way am I going to move to the suburbs now and pay for day care for 2 kids, a sizeable mortgage, and deal with a much worse commute. While we’re definitely outgrowing the apartment we live in, I’ll hold tight until my kid is in kindergarten or 1st grade. The free pre-k for those 2 additional years is saving me over 25k. And if I had more space right here I’d probably live in Union City forever. I like being able to walk to the bodega, barbershop, and liquor store.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:31 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
Quote:

The people who make up lists like these are usually the delusional jealous types.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:01 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
It is kind of a useless list, because it ranks the towns by the nominal property taxes paid. This is not very helpful.

If I have $1M to spend on a house, and I am choosing between towns, I want to know which towns are going to charge me the most and the least for my $1M house.

Your list has Millburn as the second highest....

....yet the property taxes on my $1M house in Millburn is only going to be $18,000.

While the property taxes on my $1M house in West Orange is going to be double, at $36,000.

In Montclair, my property taxes on my $1M house will be $30,000.

In Livingston it will be $23,000.

So, Millburn is actually one of the lowest, NOT highest.

So if you want to know which towns pay the highest, nominally, your list is fine. But I dont know what the use of such a list is. A list of the average effective tax RATE is much more useful.

You can find that information on this NJ Treasury Department website...

https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/tax.../taxrate.shtml
I get your point. However, if you are comparing a 1M house in Millburn or a similar house in West Orange, it likely wouldnt cost $1M in West orange. It might be say 700k perhaps which brings down the taxes. However i agree the tax rate is much higher in West orange.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:08 PM

18,465 posts, read 15,244,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
I get your point. However, if you are comparing a 1M house in Millburn or a similar house in West Orange, it likely wouldnt cost $1M in West orange. It might be say 700k perhaps which brings down the taxes. However i agree the tax rate is much higher in West orange.
If we are talking about a house in the Short Hills section, the same home would likely be $400k in West Orange, but that is not usually the way people buy homes. They typically have a budget in mind, and buy a house within that budget. They would likely pick West Orange because they could get a lot more home for their money, in which case they should realize ahead of time that they will be paying a lot more taxes for the same home value.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:13 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
If we are talking about a house in the Short Hills section, the same home would likely be $400k in West Orange, but that is not usually the way people buy homes. They typically have a budget in mind, and buy a house within that budget. They would likely pick West Orange because they could get a lot more home for their money, in which case they should realize ahead of time that they will be paying a lot more taxes for the same home value.
Maybe i look at it differently. When i was looking in multiple towns, i had a price range for each as what i needed was different in each town. My "budget" included the taxes so i had to compute what they would be to get the home price i needed to be targeting. But to your point i agree. the effective tax rate is much more useful.

Old 03-07-2019, 05:21 PM

55 posts, read 51,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
The people who make up lists like these are usually the delusional jealous types.
Jealous of the people who got to grow up in Newark/Elizabeth/Irvington/Hudson County in the 40s, 50s, and early 60s? Absolutely

Jealous of the people who live there now? Absolutely not

Old 03-08-2019, 07:48 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,772,956 times
would love to see the same numbers for STATE INCOME tax, and not property tax
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey