U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 05:53 PM

2,588 posts, read 6,667,917 times

Advertisements

Some towns ask for the cost of the job when applying for permits; mine does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 05:56 PM

11,698 posts, read 21,488,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
Some towns ask for the cost of the job when applying for permits; mine does.
ah, interesting. my contractor got the permits, whether he provided the cost then, I don't know. however, we did have scope creep, so we paid significantly more than the amount originally agreed to (and the cost given to the township, if they asked).

Old 04-10-2008, 06:08 PM

I really don't think it's fair to raise taxes based on what's paid. If I did the job myself, and didn't pay for labor (which in my case was the expensive part) then the reno would have cost much less. We had a real "gem" of a contractor also

Old 04-10-2008, 06:10 PM

7,577 posts, read 15,019,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
I really don't think it's fair to raise taxes based on what's paid. If I did the job myself, and didn't pay for labor (which in my case was the expensive part) then the reno would have cost much less. We had a real "gem" of a contractor also
Permit fees are assessed by how much the work cost you - taxes are assessed on the improvement - the increased value in your home as a result of having a finished basement : )

Old 04-10-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Permit fees are assessed by how much the work cost you - taxes are assessed on the improvement - the increased value in your home as a result of having a finished basement : )
Thank you for clarifying; that makes sense. My town sent me an application for a deferred tax increase. They did ask for the amount again, so I assumed they would base the increase on that.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:17 PM

393 posts, read 705,256 times
Default refinished basement

In Central NJ, I believe you do not need a permit to refinish a basement.
As long as you do not extend your home beyond it's present perimeters.
Once, you do apply for a permit, that is where your taxes will increase.
Concern with permits, is, if a bathroom is added, the Borough, town, wud like to see that it has been done properly, and, especially in my part of NJ, no bedrooms are added in the basement. Apparently, homeowners like to rent
basement apartments which are not on tax roll.

Old 04-26-2008, 05:16 PM

6 posts, read 21,134 times
Hi, They reassessed our whole township. They assumed that our basement was finished because at least 2/3 of the homes in our development have finished basements. I had an appointment with the tax assessor and it was adjusted without an inspection. It did effect our taxes because it changed the value of the house by almost $15,000.
A neighbor of mine, who is in real estate part time, says that it is considered a finished basement if their is air and heat in it.
I think it may vary by township. The best thing to do is to always go to the town hall and speak to the permit department.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:18 PM

323 posts, read 1,426,185 times
Not sure about property tax impact as I'm sure it varies from town/county etc.

One thing I cannot stress enough is that if your basement has a water problem...FIX THAT FIRST(before you even think of finishing the basement)...instead of just putting a subfloor.
This will save you a lot of headaches

Also, very important that you put a drain..in case of water heater malfunction etc.

Good Luck

Old 04-28-2008, 06:33 PM

721 posts, read 1,643,636 times
When I finished my basement in Cliffside Park I did not get an increase in taxes. I had to get a permit and was not allowed to do the work myself. They wanted licensed Plummers, Electrians, ect. So I hired a general contractor. Everything from the framing, insulation, electric, plumming and fire alarms had to inspected seperatly.

One other thing they insisted I get inspected was my chimminy. The Chimminy failed the inspection. I ended up having to go with Direct vent heat and hot water. I was angry at the time but now I'm glad I did it. It may have saved our lives.

Last edited by Stone28; 04-28-2008 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: left something out and spelling lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey