Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 08:23 AM

4 posts, read 5,666 times

Advertisements

Good Day Everyone,

I would appreciate some help on finding the best place to move in New Jersey I have begun doing some research and hearing from a lot of people that New Jersey is the best place for children.
some of the places I heard good things about are Holmdel and Marlboro.
I'm looking for a place that is manageable taxes (under $12,000 a year)
Schools are very important.
I would like to find something around Marlboro or Holmdel area unless someone car provide better cities around that area, or possibly different part of Jersey.
I will be driving to work

I filled out some questions that I found on a sticky that may help you help me.
I appreciate everyone's time for reading this and contributing.

Where are you coming from?
~Brooklyn

Why are you moving?
~Overinflated Housing costs, so so schools

Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC?
~I work in NYC Union Square

Will you buy or rent?
~Buy

What is your budget ?
~Under 750k

What kind of place are you looking for ?
~Single Family Home, Fully detached 3-4 bedrooms

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ?
~Spouse, and Newborn.

Do you need/want good public schools?
~Yes very important

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in.
~Children Focused, Community events, Safe, Little to no crime, activity filled and walkable(least important)

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)
~1 Family Oriented.
~2 Activity Filled Has a city center somewhat.
~3 under 1:15 Drive its ok if more with traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 05:23 AM

107 posts, read 112,956 times
Hunterdon County towns are about an hour and a half from NYC. Mostly small towns, in your budget, great schools, very safe, quiet. Quaint Downtowns with stuff to do. Close to bigger cities with more to do. Most towns are walkable.

Old 03-10-2019, 06:15 AM

650 posts, read 774,392 times
Bergen County near trains.

Old 03-10-2019, 08:39 AM

862 posts, read 974,693 times
Holmdel and Marlboro are nice towns but they are a long car ride to NYC, I would check google maps to check distance and travel time, especially if you are going in around rush hours.

I would look at Bergen County also as it will be a more realistic commutable distance from NYC, look on NJtransit.com and look at some of the towns on the main/Bergen rail lines or the Spring Valley rail lines. If you want to be closer to the city there is always Rutherford that has many Brooklyn people moving there the last 5 years or so or a little farther north and more higher end like Oradell and up on the spring valley line or Glen Rock and up on the Main/Bergen line, all good commuter towns.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownJerseyBoy View Post
Hunterdon County towns are about an hour and a half from NYC. Mostly small towns, in your budget, great schools, very safe, quiet. Quaint Downtowns with stuff to do. Close to bigger cities with more to do. Most towns are walkable.
Thank you for your reply, do you have any specific ranking of the towns in Hunterdon County?

Old 03-10-2019, 10:45 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,751,064 times
Since you are driving, I recommend Fort Lee. $750K can get you a modest 3-4 bedroom house built in the 60’s or 70’s. It won’t be fancy or that large, but there are options. You are right at the bridge, and local access lanes help you avoid the traffic that comes from the major highways. Plenty to do there with a pretty bustling downtown and also Palisades Park and Englewood downtowns not far away either. So long as you aren’t prejudiced towards Asians, it’s a great option.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:12 AM

187 posts, read 226,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solshol View Post
Good Day Everyone,

I would appreciate some help on finding the best place to move in New Jersey I have begun doing some research and hearing from a lot of people that New Jersey is the best place for children.
some of the places I heard good things about are Holmdel and Marlboro.
I'm looking for a place that is manageable taxes (under $12,000 a year)
Schools are very important.
I would like to find something around Marlboro or Holmdel area unless someone car provide better cities around that area, or possibly different part of Jersey.
I will be driving to work

I filled out some questions that I found on a sticky that may help you help me.
I appreciate everyone's time for reading this and contributing.

Where are you coming from?
~Brooklyn

Why are you moving?
~Overinflated Housing costs, so so schools

Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC?
~I work in NYC Union Square

Will you buy or rent?
~Buy

What is your budget ?
~Under 750k

What kind of place are you looking for ?
~Single Family Home, Fully detached 3-4 bedrooms

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ?
~Spouse, and Newborn.

Do you need/want good public schools?
~Yes very important

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in.
~Children Focused, Community events, Safe, Little to no crime, activity filled and walkable(least important)

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)
~1 Family Oriented.
~2 Activity Filled Has a city center somewhat.
~3 under 1:15 Drive its ok if more with traffic.
Marlboro and Holmdel are VERY different! Holmdel being more populated and more to do, on the east coast. Marlboro is kinda out there. It’s nice don’t get me wrong but there’s not much else around there, and older.

In the Holmdel area you have the jersey shore mentality. Kids can be kids, the good and the bad. Marlboro is probably a less judgmental and less competitive area for kids to grow up in.

However you list “activity filled” as being 2nd most importance so that’s leaning toward the jersey shore then. Both are family oriented towns. Jersey shore traffic is horrible in the summer on the parkway.

If you can afford it I would look more at northern NJ. Oakland has excellent schools. And Montclair is a great town with lots to do, good schools and safe. Train station right there to nyc.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:24 PM

Anyone else can provide some great cities?

Old 03-19-2019, 11:32 AM

173 posts, read 216,145 times
Why do you want to drive? Optimizing for a driving commute will put you somewhere like Fort Lee, Leonia, Weehawken or, farther out, River Edge. On the other hand, if you were to optimize for a public transit commute, you'd probably want a town with a direct train to Penn, like Glen Ridge or Montclair.

Lots of options, but none are perfect. That said, if you are prepared for a 1:15 car commute on a good day + all the time you burn parking and retrieving your car, you are probably used to having a bit of pain in your life.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxProf View Post
Why do you want to drive? Optimizing for a driving commute will put you somewhere like Fort Lee, Leonia, Weehawken or, farther out, River Edge. On the other hand, if you were to optimize for a public transit commute, you'd probably want a town with a direct train to Penn, like Glen Ridge or Montclair.

Lots of options, but none are perfect. That said, if you are prepared for a 1:15 car commute on a good day + all the time you burn parking and retrieving your car, you are probably used to having a bit of pain in your life.
I would prefer to drive 1.5 hours then spend it on trains plus I have a spot in the city with 24/7 access
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey