Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 09:14 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
I just tether the internet off of my cell phone for free (I have unlimited data). Not the absolute fastest internet out there but its definitely good enough.

I don't even bother with Cable. I use YouTube (free) for watching stuff. It works well for me since I mostly just watch documentaries, old shows, amateur Youtubers...fyi-CNBC has two big channels on YouTube where they post Side vs of videos per day too.

I'm a Millenials who refuses to get cable. The Cable companies play games with you by luring you in with a cheap(er) rate and then making it skyrocket overtime; so most ppl teter-totter from one company to the other...its quite sad to watch actually.

Living without cable is tough if you’re a sports fan, especially if you enjoy watching local teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 09:32 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
I pay $123 for internet and cable through Comcast. The internet portion is about $50. No premium channels but I already have separate Netflix and Showtime accounts so I guess that would get the total to $143. Also have a Roku TV, so lots of streaming also available.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:07 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
i pay $192/month for a triple play package. im trying to figure what to do after my 2 year agreement runs out. id love to cut the tv package and replace with a streaming provider. im just not sure if my wife will be satisfied with that. fios is offering internet for 39.99, so if i buy the modem it should be that plus tax/fees.

i could drop 2 boxes and buy the modem and should be able to get my comcast bill down closer to $160/month. im currently testing out streaming providers and seeing if that will work.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:44 AM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Not anymore. They just had a price hike and the number of channels has been reduced.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/11/...rice-increase/
It’s too bad. I have been with them since the beginning and it’s very cable like. I get 100+ channels, including everything you would expect and also get the sports channels like MSG and Yes.

Swamp_Yankee- look into the other streaming services like Youtuve TV, Hulu TV, and Sling. They all have missing channels, but might fit your needs.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:20 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
How about REAL TV? Best highest quality available and you don't pay anything for it.

Everyone got used to paying and many people either forgot or new generations grew up not accustomed to TV.

Depending specifically where you are it may work or not, there are about 60 or 70 real TV stations all in high quality digital in this area.

Take a look at websites like tvfool.com to check your location.

Internet I would consider tagging off your cellphone as suggested above.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:38 AM

1,138 posts, read 856,433 times
Even for existing customers, Comcast charging $90/month just for Internet does not make sense. They are cheating you.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:43 AM

271 posts, read 566,449 times
I am currently paying ~$110/month for FIOS Triple Play. I've had the same package for the last 5 years. My advice is if you are on a special 12/24 month rate plan, call your provider the month before the plan expires and ask if you can keep the same plan if you sign a 2 yr agreement with them. 9 out of 10 times, they will say ok or offer a similar plan that will keep your monthly bill around the same amount. With customer service reps, the problem always arises if your promotional rate expires. They usually can't do anything about it by that point.

Old 08-08-2019, 05:28 AM

83 posts, read 67,719 times
Put an antenna up and get your TV channels for free. https://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opt...pper&Itemid=29

Call the cable company and ask them for basic internet. We have Comcast and pay $45 per month.

Old 08-08-2019, 05:46 AM

1,138 posts, read 856,433 times
About 10 years ago when Digital TV first started, we bought a digital TV antenna from Walmart and it just did not work very well from Union County. Every time a plane went by or we had bad weather, the picture would freeze. I wonder if the indoor antennas work any better now. Btw, as long as you have internet, you can also get free live streaming of local TV stations with the Locast app on your firestick or smart TV. Of course if you jailbreak your firestick, you can get most of the cable channels free too.

Old 08-08-2019, 05:53 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Union County should be fairly easy to receive at least 40 or so free digital TV stations.
Also you need to rescan recently as TV is going through transitions called the TV repack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey