Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2019, 12:12 PM

1,199 posts, read 723,984 times

Advertisements

What socioeconomic status is typical of the Grove Street area of Jersey City? Is it a gentrified place or is it hood? I am trying to figure out if this guy I know is actually rich or if he is merely hood rich because he often fronts about how much money he has.

The Journal Square stop area is similar to where I reside in the Bronx. I have been to the area by the piers. But Grove St is a mystery to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 12:16 PM

565 posts, read 722,044 times
It depends on the particular building he lives in. Do you know his address? Does he own or rent? Has he been there a long time, and is his place rent controlled? It's pretty easy to look at rentals in the building or recently solds to find out exactly what he's spending on mortgage and rent.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:37 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
How long he been there?

Typically people who talk about having a lot of money don't have as much as they say they do. There are people who have a lot of money, and then there are people who try to convince everyone that they have a lot of money.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:41 PM

1,199 posts, read 723,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
How long he been there?

Typically people who talk about having a lot of money don't have as much as they say they do. There are people who have a lot of money, and then there are people who try to convince everyone that they have a lot of money.
He's been there for around 10 years and has talked to me frequently about his love for diamonds gold and crystals. I discovered that his building contains condos and the sale price for a studio is close to $300,000. I'm not talking about a 700-900 square foot studio in the Bronx or Paterson, but 300 sq ft which is basically unlivable imo.

Last edited by fatsquirrel; 03-18-2019 at 12:54 PM..

Old 03-19-2019, 01:57 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
He's been there for around 10 years and has talked to me frequently about his love for diamonds gold and crystals. I discovered that his building contains condos and the sale price for a studio is close to $300,000. I'm not talking about a 700-900 square foot studio in the Bronx or Paterson, but 300 sq ft which is basically unlivable imo.
If he's been by Grove for 10 years, he's probably not rich. 10 years ago people were moving to JC to escape the high COL of Manhattan and BK. People moving near Grove now are often quite wealthy if they go to the high rise buildings. If his building today has studios for only $300k near Grove, it's likely an older building, which means he's probably been there for a while, which means he probably isn't rich.

As a blanket statement, though, Grove St area is generally very well-off. Lots of money living in the high rise amenities buildings. Lots of high-income and educated young families buying brownstones because they were priced out of BK.

BTW Journal Square is more like Jackson Heights with the heavy Indian population. It's safe, just nothing pretty or fancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey