Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 11:25 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times

Advertisements

I remember from my childhood the sound of gardeners descending on the neighborhood with bamboo-tined rakes and big burlap sacks to put the leaves in. The Mexican bagpipes didn't become de rigeur until the late 80s, early 90s.

They did use gas mowers, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 11:55 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Ah, how nice it was to grow up in a time when people weren't prissy about lawns. It was so much fun in the fall when the whole family would go out and rake, we'd jump in the leaves, and then pile them all together and burn them with foil-wrapped potatoes baking in the fire. Best potatoes ever with butter and salt.

The burning leaves smelled so good. Now it's loud stupid machines that smell like exhaust because everybody thinks a lawn should look like some sort of unnatural green carpeting.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:03 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,145,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

The burning leaves smelled so good. Now it's loud stupid machines that smell like exhaust because everybody thinks a lawn should look like some sort of unnatural green carpeting.
And today burning of leaves will likely result in an "open burning" citation from most municipalities

Old 03-20-2019, 12:26 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
The loud annoying sounds of lawnmowers and leafblowers just started today, March 19. There's hardly any grass yet.
Just count your blessings that you don't live out here, where I suffer it year-round. Leaf-blowers should be banned everywhere - by Federal Law.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:37 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Ah, how nice it was to grow up in a time when people weren't prissy about lawns. It was so much fun in the fall when the whole family would go out and rake, we'd jump in the leaves, and then pile them all together and burn them with foil-wrapped potatoes baking in the fire. Best potatoes ever with butter and salt.

I mean, people wanna call my generation snowflakes, but look who's up in arms over leafblowers and lawn mowers making their good quiet Christian suburbs too loud lol. It sure as hell wasn't millennials filing noise complaints or passing leafblower bans.

Last edited by jessemh431; 03-20-2019 at 01:40 PM..

Old 03-20-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
And today burning of leaves will likely result in an "open burning" citation from most municipalities
I know. It was outlawed in the town where I grew up eons ago.

My father used to burn some stuff and my mother would get mad because the cops would come around. But they never did anything because he was a disabled WWII veteran/double amputee and a lifelong resident and respected in town, and they would just say, "Now Mr. X, you know you aren't supposed to be burning brush", and he would say, "I just had a few branches/leaves here I wanted to get rid of..." and they'd go away.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I mean, people wanna call my generation slowflakes, but look who's up in arms over leafblowers and lawn mowers making their good quite Christian suburbs too loud lol. It sure as hell wasn't millennials filing noise complaints or passing leafblower bans.
Ah, but we remember how peaceful and healthy it was without the noise and chemicals.

Where I live now is a condo complex, and the landscaping company descends with an entire horde of leaf-blowers. They are in and out quickly, but I noticed last time when I went out to my car, the nearest guy shut his off until I got in. The company must have a rule about that.

There aren't a whole lot of trees around the condo, even though the place has "Woods" in the name. They name these complexes for what was there before the builders came. One up the road is Winding Brook. I see a big concrete drainpipe that probably used to be the brook. Then there is Turtle something or other in West Long Branch, but I bet there hasn't been a turtle there in thirty years.

I did like your typo "slowflakes" though. Hehehehe.

Sidebar: I was at an engineering event this morning featuring women in the industry, and one of them spoke about the difference in the career goals of some of the younger women engineers compared to twenty years ago. She said, "I dislike the term 'millennials'. After all they really are humans." She didn't mean for it to come out the way it sounded, but it got a good laugh.

(I'm not 100 percent sure what millennials are exactly, but my dd is 27, so I suspect she's one.)

Old 03-20-2019, 01:14 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I mean, people wanna call my generation slowflakes, but look who's up in arms over leafblowers and lawn mowers making their good quite Christian suburbs too loud lol. It sure as hell wasn't millennials filing noise complaints or passing leafblower bans.
the boomers are the biggest snowflakes. they just project all of your shortcomings and pretend it is the millenials.

its probably mostly old people complaining about the leaf blowers because old people complain about everything. how much time is anyone spending leaf blowing? my property is an acre so it can take me a while to blow it but nobody is close enough to be bothered. if someone has a small yard, they are only going to blow for a short period of time.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:39 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the boomers are the biggest snowflakes. they just project all of your shortcomings and pretend it is the millenials.

its probably mostly old people complaining about the leaf blowers because old people complain about everything. how much time is anyone spending leaf blowing? my property is an acre so it can take me a while to blow it but nobody is close enough to be bothered. if someone has a small yard, they are only going to blow for a short period of time.
Old white people are especially the worst. I lived in a condo once for 2 years. We legally rented it as tenants. The HOA once fined our unit for causing the exterior wall to be covered in black soot that allegedly came from our electric grill on the patio. Sounds reasonable right? Except we were on the 3rd floor and the black marks stretched from the ground to the second floor. Idk about you, but I've never never seen grill smoke go straight down the side of a building...and we barely even used it. I know we were targeted by the HOA because we were some of the youngest people in the complex and we fought for a good 2 months on that and refused to pay for it.

They also tried kicking me out of the pool once because they just didn't recognize me (I'm white myself, imagine if I was black). They tried kicking me and a neighbor out once because each unit was allowed 2 guests each. We invited 2 friends each to the pool. They tried to bend the rules and say because we were friends, it didn't count and we were in violation. We didn't leave so he called the HOA pres and we just ignored them entirely so they tried to fine us for using the pool toys that another family had left at the pool. They weren't ours...young to mid 20 year olds aren't buying pool floaties and blow up rafts. We used them and the inflatable balls and the pool noodles and they tried to fine us for them until I challenged them to prove they were mine and we again just ignored them.

They also tried towing my car once because my garage door remote broke, so I used my guest pass to park MY OWN CAR in the guest spot till I could fix the remote. It was not more than a day. I came home from work the following day, placed the guest pass sign in the window, and another old white man sprinted (old white man sprinting speed in his white velcro shoes with white knee high socks on) over to me saying I'm violating the HOA rules. I explained to him what was going on and that I was literally just going to put my stuff in my unit, take a dump after a long day of work, and go get a new battery. He waited at my car for me to come back and timed the entire thing. He told me once I got back to the car that if it had been more than 45 minutes he was going to have called the two truck company. Meanwhile, their old white man Cadillacs and Buicks sat there all the time because they broke down or were too big to fit into the parking spaces.

I once ran into the clubhouse to take a dump while experiencing food poisoning because it was on the walk (sprint) to my unit and the security guard walked in. This was around like 10pm while she was doing her rounds. She told me I wasn't allowed to use the clubhouse bathrooms because I wasn't using the clubhouse or the pool at the time. Clearly I yelled at her to go away and leave me alone because my insides were exploding, but of course the HOA wrote me a nasty letter.

Needless to say, I hated my two years there and couldn't wait to move. Literally every.little.thing. I did was scrutinized by old white men (and once a lady). But I'm overly sensitive and complain about everything just because I don't tolerate racism and bigotry and I call it out when I see it. Old suburban white people with nothing but time on their hands will find absolutely anything to occupy their time and they love when that time is occupied by something they can complain about or ridicule someone else about.

Quote:
Ah, but we remember how peaceful and healthy it was without the noise and chemicals.

Where I live now is a condo complex, and the landscaping company descends with an entire horde of leaf-blowers. They are in and out quickly, but I noticed last time when I went out to my car, the nearest guy shut his off until I got in. The company must have a rule about that.

There aren't a whole lot of trees around the condo, even though the place has "Woods" in the name. They name these complexes for what was there before the builders came. One up the road is Winding Brook. I see a big concrete drainpipe that probably used to be the brook. Then there is Turtle something or other in West Long Branch, but I bet there hasn't been a turtle there in thirty years.

I did like your typo "slowflakes" though. Hehehehe.

Sidebar: I was at an engineering event this morning featuring women in the industry, and one of them spoke about the difference in the career goals of some of the younger women engineers compared to twenty years ago. She said, "I dislike the term 'millennials'. After all they really are humans." She didn't mean for it to come out the way it sounded, but it got a good laugh.

(I'm not 100 percent sure what millennials are exactly, but my dd is 27, so I suspect she's one.)
I will say the only positive of the leafblowing bans is the pollution it saves. The noise I couldn't give less s***s about because I actually have a job and leave the house from 8:30-6pm and I'm not bored and retired sitting at home waiting for someone to do something wrong. Not saying that's you lol don't worry. Just seems to be the type of person that would call in a leafblower being too loud. I promise I didn't get that vibe from you.

Saving the environment and reducing pollution is a wonderful thing though and I appreciate that aspect of it. Idk enough about leafblowing or lawn mowing since I live in Jersey City, but is there something in between loud gas leafblowers and a rake? Quieter electric ones?

As for turning off the blower when people walk by, idk if it's policy or just legit human decency, but I've never had someone blow a leafblower at me while I'm walking past. They always let me pass and then continue on.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:43 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,965,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Yes because smoke and noise are just so desirable, right?

Oh and I know your reply already. Move, right?
I'm pretty sure you'd be complaining also if you had the kind of neighbors who did not stay on top of yard maintenance.

How do you think that maintenance happens? Leaf blowers and lawn mowers.

I gifted my leaf blower to my old neighbor when I moved into a town house with an HOA that takes care of all exterior maintenance. However, I regret doing that because that leaf blower would have come in handy to blow out the dust, leaves, dirt and salt that gets tracked into my garage. Was also thinking that it would be useful to blow away all of my moron neighbors' recycling that ends up on my walkways and porch every week, because they can't bother to put their recycling out in a manner where it won't get knocked over and blow all over the goddamned place at the slightest breeze.

You'd really hate to have me as a neighbor. Even when my parents used to make me rake leaves by hand, I would do it while blasting Guns N' Roses and Motley Crue from a boom box. If my parents still had me raking leaves in high school, I would've been blasting Junior M.A.F.I.A and Dr. Dre.

See, things can always, always be worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey