U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2008, 11:05 PM

866 posts, read 2,861,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rls542 View Post
I agree with your post. I think the key above everything else is parental involvement. In the Abbott districts I worked in the students that did the best (other than the self motivated and naturally talented and gifted) were the students who had parents that were involved. Involved doesn't have to mean be a stage mom/dad but asking/checking DAILY about their schoolwork goes a LONG way. I have had parents that hadn't checked their children's backpacks for an entire MARKING PERIOD then are surprised that they aren't doing well.
Exactly. That is why I sometimes cringe when people are extremely picky about school districts. I can understand if you want your kids to attend a decent school. But I think it's just ridiculous when people live in good towns with great schools and still think they're not "up to par". If your an involved parent, value education, and instill these values in your children; they will excel anywhere.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 07:21 AM

7,914 posts, read 15,517,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rls542 View Post
I agree with your post. I think the key above everything else is parental involvement. In the Abbott districts I worked in the students that did the best (other than the self motivated and naturally talented and gifted) were the students who had parents that were involved. Involved doesn't have to mean be a stage mom/dad but asking/checking DAILY about their schoolwork goes a LONG way. I have had parents that hadn't checked their children's backpacks for an entire MARKING PERIOD then are surprised that they aren't doing well.
I've maintained this from day 1. Parents agonizing over which school district has the best schools is akin to a partial abdication of their responsibilities as parents,with regard to involvement in the schools. Folks, the schools, the buildings themselves, the teachers that are in them, are largely neutral. The kids that comprise the student body are the difference makers. I live in New Mexico now. This state I think is ranked 50th in education, dead last. Yet, I took a tour of the school my son is going to attend in Kindergarten next year and was absolutely floored by the amount of resources pumped into that building. And the most amusing part is that the school is in the wealthiest district in town, and since NM is like most states and allocates $$ based on affluence of the school district, I was told by the vice principal that other schools had way more, she was almost apologizing for it. But it's not the schools. It's the parent(s). What I am saying is, in New Mexico, it's not the schools that suck: it's the parents that suck. Case in point: two nights ago, after my kids were in bed at 7:30 I had to go down to the Wal-Mart Supercenter to get a few things. I left at 9, got there a few minutes later. What do I see at the Wal-Mart Supercenter at 9? Alleged 'adults' with their kids, at 9, 9:30 at night. Kids of all ages and sizes. Buying such necessities as potato chips, music CDs, beach toys, and toasters. A lot of these kids didn't look very happy, some of the smaller ones were crying, parental supervision was lacking, etc. You can just imagine the scene. Now, go to a town like Marlton, Mount Olive, Piscataway, and visit the supermarkets or Wal-Marts there (I know they don't sell groceries at Wal-Marts in NJ, so I combined them). I named three modest, middle class towns. Are you going to find a comparable atmosphere there at 9, 10 at night, on a school night? I think not.
This is the basic difference between what comprises a quality community, versus what comprises an endless cycle of poverty and underperformance. It's about personal responsibility and discipline. Some people have it, and many others lack it. Most, not all, teachers that come out of college have worked very hard for their teaching degrees, and are not necessarily doing it primarily for the money. They are eager to teach your kids. It doesn't matter if it's Haddonfield, Short Hills, Camden, Newark, Las Cruces NM, etc. It comes down to your family, and how you are able to give your child the best chance to succeed in the school. When you have a community that believes in the value of education over going out shopping during all hours, or some other self-gratifying activity, you will find the good school districts.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey