Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 05:17 PM

23 posts, read 22,392 times

Advertisements

I was about to enter into a romantic relationship with a firefighter. He told me that 40 people died already from heroin overdose. He said about 200 people overdose daily on heroin. He also told me that most people are getting their drugs from Paterson NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 07:35 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,902,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackGirl View Post
I was about to enter into a romantic relationship with a firefighter. He told me that 40 people died already from heroin overdose. He said about 200 people overdose daily on heroin. He also told me that most people are getting their drugs from Paterson NJ.
That was one sweet-talkin man....

Old 04-06-2019, 08:07 PM

111 posts, read 91,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Depends on how the Orthodox Jewish community changes the area. First off, it borders Clifton, which is a desirable suburb that some may get priced out of it. Then, with the influx of money from the Orthodox Jewish community, it has a chance. I'm not sure it's downtown will get "nice" for a long time, but at least higher-income residents can contribute something.
The town seems divided ethnically and economically into two, i am wondering if there are any tensions between the Jewish community and the rest in Passaic that anyone is aware of?

Old 04-08-2019, 01:39 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margharita23 View Post
The town seems divided ethnically and economically into two, i am wondering if there are any tensions between the Jewish community and the rest in Passaic that anyone is aware of?
TBH I've never thought about that, but I could see it becoming a problem somewhere down the line. Both sides of the divide will continue to grow in population, but with the Orthodox community requiring different municipal services, it could create tension. I.e. public school schools being neglected since the Orthodox community most likely will not be sending children to a public school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackGirl View Post
Paterson is really the epicenter of the heroin problem in North Jersey. You can find bags of heroin for like $3 on the streets of Paterson.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:28 PM

8 posts, read 7,241 times
A lot of people think communities in NJ can be gentrified. LOL. NJ isnt NYC. There is no reason for any group of people to outbid each other to live in a ghetto, there is plenty of space a mile away. Unless the meadowlands mutates the local flora to actually grow money, there is no great reason for a large influx of people to come to any part of NJ.

i might add the exception is Jersey City ( or a small part of it). When every large bank/mutual company/hedge fund moved to JC it brought jobs and *some* gentrification with it. A large part of JC is still a ****hole.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:12 PM

56 posts, read 52,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Newark is much bigger. It is in a better position because of nyc path access.
Newark also houses 2 major universities, 2 large event venues, corporate headquarters a Whole Foods and a much less transient population. It also has a more robust and competent city government and more nonprofits serving vulnerable populations. Newark is in a better position to improve because it has more investment from organizations with roots in the community ( Rutgers, njit, pseg, prudential, audible) and are large employers.
Exactly, and for the first time all of these major corporations and anchors are all working together in attracting investment in the city, and it is starting to show.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:24 PM

Passaic seems to be in the middle of a lot of other "desirable areas" like Clifton, Nutley, Garfield and Rutherford is not too far, so i feel like eventually as the prices go up in those areas more people would look at Passaic perhaps?

Old 04-11-2019, 04:44 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,907,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margharita23 View Post
Passaic seems to be in the middle of a lot of other "desirable areas" like Clifton, Nutley, Garfield and Rutherford is not too far, so i feel like eventually as the prices go up in those areas more people would look at Passaic perhaps?
Garfield and much of Clifton aren't that desirable at all. Rutherford and Nutley will never have any positive influence on Passaic's market because if somebody gets priced out of those places then there are at least 7 nearby towns that are far more suitable than Passaic. Also remember that the number one most important thing that buyers in middle class towns look for are solid schools so Passaic is literally an instant deal-breaker.

Lets use some real world examples of towns not getting much influence from their more-desirable neighbors:

- Bloomfield [considered an ok area] shares long stretches of border with Montclair and Glen Ridge - which are well-known for their hot housing markets and bidding wars; but little of this has spilled over into Bloomfield.

-The City of Orange borders highly-desirable South Orange, Glen Ridge and West Orange but it is still a depressed market; and it is even very commutable to the city unlike Passaic. On top of that, one part of the City of Orange actually has a very nice housing stock to boot but buyers looking in nearby towns still don't really give a damn.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 04-11-2019 at 06:13 AM..

Old 04-12-2019, 09:59 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,902,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Garfield and much of Clifton aren't that desirable at all. Rutherford and Nutley will never have any positive influence on Passaic's market because if somebody gets priced out of those places then there are at least 7 nearby towns that are far more suitable than Passaic. Also remember that the number one most important thing that buyers in middle class towns look for are solid schools so Passaic is literally an instant deal-breaker.

Lets use some real world examples of towns not getting much influence from their more-desirable neighbors:

- Bloomfield [considered an ok area] shares long stretches of border with Montclair and Glen Ridge - which are well-known for their hot housing markets and bidding wars; but little of this has spilled over into Bloomfield.

-The City of Orange borders highly-desirable South Orange, Glen Ridge and West Orange but it is still a depressed market; and it is even very commutable to the city unlike Passaic. On top of that, one part of the City of Orange actually has a very nice housing stock to boot but buyers looking in nearby towns still don't really give a damn.
The small-town/school structure of NJ has resulted in economic segregation for as long as I can remember.

Old 04-12-2019, 06:05 PM

thank you all for helping me understand NJ but when we mean hot housing market vwgto, do we mean 1 million homes, what about someone like me in her 30's, single, no kids, needs to commute to the city, who is priced out of buying something in NY with a starter budget? Where do you recommend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey