U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 03:36 PM

34 posts, read 13,599 times

Advertisements

I mean, I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on anything - it's just more of curiosity. Union City does not seem particularly nice, I've "heard" and "read online" from a few sources that the schools aren't very good, it's not a very clean place, and according to some 2019 income stats, the median income for households in Union City, New Jersey is$43,424, while the mean household income is $58,772. How can all this be combined and still have more expensive houses for what you get, than towns like Lyndhurst or Secaucus or Clifton. If I had to guess, it's because it's close to Manhattan, but what is desirable about living close to Manhattan if your surroundings aren't very appealing. Like I said, I'm not pretending to be an expert nor am I stating anything with straight up certainty. I just want to understand that area being that I am going to move somewhere close and was looking at housing prices online for a ton of towns. What's the deal here.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 03:48 PM

6,543 posts, read 16,413,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthews678 View Post
If I had to guess, it's because it's close to Manhattan
Yes.

Quote:
but what is desirable about living close to Manhattan if your surroundings aren't very appealing.
Being close to Manhattan is itself desirable. I'm sure you can find condos in Union City for under $300k. And it's like 10 minutes to PABT on the bus. The "scuzziness" of UC is factored into the price. If the town was "clean" and had "good schools" and all that, you'd be looking at condos priced closer to a million.

Old 04-08-2019, 04:00 PM

172 posts, read 95,426 times
Quote:
I mean, I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on anything - it's just more of curiosity. Union City does not seem particularly nice, I've "heard" and "read online" from a few sources that the schools aren't very good, it's not a very clean place, and according to some 2019 income stats, the median income for households in Union City, New Jersey is$43,424, while the mean household income is $58,772. How can all this be combined and still have more expensive houses for what you get, than towns like Lyndhurst or Secaucus or Clifton. If I had to guess, it's because it's close to Manhattan, but what is desirable about living close to Manhattan if your surroundings aren't very appealing. Like I said, I'm not pretending to be an expert nor am I stating anything with straight up certainty. I just want to understand that area being that I am going to move somewhere close and was looking at housing prices online for a ton of towns. What's the deal here.

Thanks
I lived there 5 years ago, and I wouldn't even consider buying at current prices. It feels to me like it has the downsides of places like Jersey City and Hoboken with few of the upsides. In particular, it's densely packed and takes a long time to drive through (tons of lights), is expensive, has bad schools, and has some crime; yet public transit really isn't that great -- you have a bus into NYC, but it can be pretty slow and doesn't go into the express bus lane in the Lincoln tunnel -- and there's not much worth walking to. Premium has got to be attributable to NYC proximity, but unless you drive in regularly, I don't see that as being that helpful given lack of fast/reliable public transit.

Fundamentals seem weak to me, and I would be worried about prices dropping 20% in a few years.

Old 04-08-2019, 04:04 PM

172 posts, read 95,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Yes.

Being close to Manhattan is itself desirable. I'm sure you can find condos in Union City for under $300k. And it's like 10 minutes to PABT on the bus. The "scuzziness" of UC is factored into the price. If the town was "clean" and had "good schools" and all that, you'd be looking at condos priced closer to a million.
It's 10 minutes to PABT on Saturday at 9 am. More like 30 minutes during rush hour. Bus from Secaucus is faster.

Old 04-08-2019, 04:18 PM

540 posts, read 307,018 times
Union city 2 family House is selling at $700k

Catching up to weehauken.

Good job , UC

Old 04-08-2019, 04:57 PM

4,095 posts, read 9,198,921 times
Speculation on any housing close to NYC

Old 04-09-2019, 07:59 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,023,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post

Absolutely possible to buy in UC for under $300K. OP may be getting confused by some of the high priced gentrification projects. Within a couple blocks of my building are developments selling units in the $600K - $700K range. Example: 801 Palisades Ave

Impressive that developers can easily push out condos at these prices but it gives me some hope for eventually flipping. Just slap in some white 'marble', add some Pella windows, and maybe a fancy faucet! Luxury living now yours for a modest $500K!

Last edited by GoHuskies; 04-09-2019 at 08:57 AM..

Old 04-09-2019, 08:04 AM

Union city is the only place left around Manhattan for cheap price.

Decent city. To me, it is much better and more convenient than jc.

Wait 5 years and come back to see. Another Williamsburg.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:25 AM

4,365 posts, read 9,515,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewin888 View Post
Union city is the only place left around Manhattan for cheap price.

Decent city. To me, it is much better and more convenient than jc.

Wait 5 years and come back to see. Another Williamsburg.
More convenient in what way? JC has the Path and light rail. What does UC have that is better?

Old 04-09-2019, 08:29 AM

Tons of buses passing every minute. Who has time walking to path station and take smelly crowded path trains ?

10 minutes hop on bus to Manhattan—- better than even Brooklyn and queens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or