Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 05:52 PM

220 posts, read 379,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigsquestions View Post
Fairlawn and Paramus also border Paterson too.
Uhhh, no. Fair Lawn may be somewhat close to Paterson (w/ the Passaic River serving as a buffer), but Paramus definitely does not border Paterson. In addition to the Passaic River, there are several towns in between (e.g. Fair Lawn, Glen Rock, Elmwood Park), and the Saddle River/Saddle River Park serves as the entire western border of the town. There are only a few local roads you can take to go from west of the Saddle River to the east, and they all run through very nice areas.

Some of the most expensive country clubs in the state are in Paramus (Arcola, Ridgewood CC), I wouldn't consider Paterson to be an issue any more so than it is for Glen Rock, which is closer and much more expensive, and higher-rated town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 09:28 PM

27 posts, read 31,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpf723 View Post
Uhhh, no. Fair Lawn may be somewhat close to Paterson (w/ the Passaic River serving as a buffer), but Paramus definitely does not border Paterson. In addition to the Passaic River, there are several towns in between (e.g. Fair Lawn, Glen Rock, Elmwood Park), and the Saddle River/Saddle River Park serves as the entire western border of the town. There are only a few local roads you can take to go from west of the Saddle River to the east, and they all run through very nice areas.

Some of the most expensive country clubs in the state are in Paramus (Arcola, Ridgewood CC), I wouldn't consider Paterson to be an issue any more so than it is for Glen Rock, which is closer and much more expensive, and higher-rated town.
I was incorrect with Paramus, but Fair Lawn (an Elmood Park) do border Paterson.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving from Rockland to Northern NJ-screen-shot-2019-04-14-11.25.55  

Old 04-14-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
I had septic in Wyckoff and vowed never to buy another house with it so I totally hear you on that end. They're a PITA!! There are homes with sewers in Wyckoff (homes bordering Allendale/Mahwah ie. Meadowbrook Rd. area) with approximately 0.5 to 1 acre so that may be an option for you. Low property taxes are a plus in Wyckoff as well.

I agree with MQ, Elmwood Park, Saddle Brook along with Teaneck and Hackensack are completely different towns in terms of socioeconomic demographic when compared to other towns you mentioned.

If we were to move back to NJ (we're not, we love it in Florida but I digress), I'd likely look in Wyckoff, Ho-Ho-Kus and Allendale in that order. Grew up in Midland Park and as referenced previously, we owned a home in Wyckoff so I have a bias to that area.

Yea, septic.. What a nightmare. I will look into Wyckoff too. Ho Ho and Allendale are a million + it seems.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Norwood and Old Tappan might have options. I don’t know if there is sewer or septic.
I will look into these towns too. Thank you.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:10 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Fairlawn and Paramus also border Paterson too.
Well, Fair Lawn does, but not Paramus.

However, Elmwood Park definitely has spillover from Paterson in it, where Fair Lawn and other adjacent municipalities like Hawthorne and Woodland Park do their best to keep Paterson from spreading into their towns.

Note that there are OK sections in Paterson, too, but the city does have some major problems due to drugs and crime.

Anyway, my point remains that Elmwood Park is a very different town from the others listed by the OP.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
I had septic in Wyckoff and vowed never to buy another house with it so I totally hear you on that end. They're a PITA!! There are homes with sewers in Wyckoff (homes bordering Allendale/Mahwah ie. Meadowbrook Rd. area) with approximately 0.5 to 1 acre so that may be an option for you. Low property taxes are a plus in Wyckoff as well.

I agree with MQ, Elmwood Park, Saddle Brook along with Teaneck and Hackensack are completely different towns in terms of socioeconomic demographic when compared to other towns you mentioned.

If we were to move back to NJ (we're not, we love it in Florida but I digress), I'd likely look in Wyckoff, Ho-Ho-Kus and Allendale in that order. Grew up in Midland Park and as referenced previously, we owned a home in Wyckoff so I have a bias to that area.
Same here. Grew up in Midland Park and then returned to raise my kid there. It was a good town to grow up in and raise a kid, unless your main focus is on having your kid play football.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 04-15-2019 at 10:20 AM..

Old 04-15-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, Fair Lawn does, but not Paramus.

However, Elmwood Park definitely has spillover from Paterson in it, where Fair Lawn and other adjacent municipalities like Hawthorne and Woodland Park do their best to keep Paterson from spreading into their towns.

Note that there are OK sections in Paterson, too, but the city does have some major problems due to drugs and crime.

Anyway, my point remains that Elmwood Park is a very different town from the others listed by the OP.

Fair enough. I'll drop Elmwood Park. The three I am most interested are in Hillsdale, Montvale and Ramsey.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:33 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,251,525 times
Next to hills dale is twp of Washington. I’d add that town, maybe rivervale too.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Fair enough. I'll drop Elmwood Park. The three I am most interested are in Hillsdale, Montvale and Ramsey.
Hillsdale still retains that small-town feel. So does Ramsey to some extent, but Hillsdale is a bit further removed.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:34 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,400,133 times
Any commuting or school needs? Hillsdale, Montvale, and Ramsey are good choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey