Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 04:31 PM

27 posts, read 30,949 times

Advertisements

Been looking in Frankie Lakes, River Vale, Ramsey Mahwah and Norwood. The two I really was interested today are in atty review. Passed on Has. Heights, Saddle Brook, Elmwood Park and Hillsdale. The later is in the middle of a floodzone. Geez. No luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 11:30 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,202,354 times
The towns I would look at are Hillsdale, Montvale, Ramsey, Park Ridge and maybe Washington Twp and Westwood. Not sure you can get an acre, but you'll get more bang for your buck compared to the other super expensive towns like Wychoff, Allendale, Old Tappan and Norwood.

Every town above mentioned is nice, but some are just more expensive than others.

The Mahwah orthodox thing would make me nervous as a long time investor if I was buying a place there. Its just too unpredictable at this point and I have a feeling it will only grow and not get smaller in size.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:47 PM

I've now visited over 20 homes. All have the following:

small rooms
weird cut rooms
no land
no privacy

They take these pictures from the sky with a drone and they look much bigger from the sky than in person. I've never seen such small rooms in my life. No master bedroom, no walk in closets. My master bathroom seems bigger then some of these rooms... Even at 875k. I'm lost here.. Ideas?

Old 04-17-2019, 09:01 PM

88,298 posts, read 84,311,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigsquestions View Post

small rooms
weird cut rooms
no land
no privacy

They take these pictures from the sky with a drone and they look much bigger from the sky than in person. I've never seen such small rooms in my life. No master bedroom, no walk in closets. My master bathroom seems bigger then some of these rooms... Even at 875k. I'm lost here.. Ideas?
Bergen County was developed a long time ago. Even places that to my parents were farmland, like Franklin Lakes, were built up in the 70s and 80s. Huge master bedrooms with their own bathrooms and walk-in closets weren't necessarily standard at that time. The houses that have such amenities in towns like Franklin Lakes are above a million, probably a few hundred K above a million. That's northwest Bergen County, and you should manage your expectations accordingly.

You'd better clutch your pearls honey. I live in a 942-square-foot, two-bedroom condo, and I like it. It's just the right size.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Bergen County was developed a long time ago. Even places that to my parents were farmland, like Franklin Lakes, were built up in the 70s and 80s. Huge master bedrooms with their own bathrooms and walk-in closets weren't necessarily standard at that time. The houses that have such amenities in towns like Franklin Lakes are above a million, probably a few hundred K above a million. That's northwest Bergen County, and you should manage your expectations accordingly.

You'd better clutch your pearls honey. I live in a 942-square-foot, two-bedroom condo, and I like it. It's just the right size.
Even when I lived in Fort Lee 10 years ago, my 2 room apt had large rooms. These rooms, I can lay across and reach side to side. I've considered moving into a condo with large rooms, but I suffer from intense weekly migraines, so I need quiet. When I lived in my apt for a few years, the neighbors we loud and annoying. It felt like paper walls.

Old 04-18-2019, 04:17 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,008,074 times
Quote:

small rooms
weird cut rooms
no land
no privacy

Morris County. It's not as far as you think. Look it up. $700,000 will get you a beautiful home in many towns and a fairly good ratio have natural gas, city water and sewers. I'm in Roxbury and can probably make it to Manhattan as fast as someone from Mahwah. In this area you can find a beautiful younger Colonial north of 3,600 square feet on 1 acre. Often with a finished basement and/or an inground pool. Your money will go a lot farther in this area.

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 04-18-2019 at 04:26 AM..

Old 04-18-2019, 06:53 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,484,032 times
Quote:

small rooms
weird cut rooms
no land
no privacy

I remember we did a househunt in Ramsey about ten years ago when we moved to this area. In our price range at the time, we were basically looking at ruins. They were tear downs but we didn't realize it.

Another place that seemed nice on the computer had three bedrooms. Ok. Well when we got there, the "third bedroom" was basically made for a fairy person perhaps. But the people had filled it with DOLL FURNITURE so the scale was all off on the pictures. Like a doll crib and a rocking chair that a five year old would sit in.

We had a lot of laughs on that househunt.

Last edited by bookspage; 04-18-2019 at 07:02 AM..

Old 04-18-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Even when I lived in Fort Lee 10 years ago, my 2 room apt had large rooms. These rooms, I can lay across and reach side to side. I've considered moving into a condo with large rooms, but I suffer from intense weekly migraines, so I need quiet. When I lived in my apt for a few years, the neighbors we loud and annoying. It felt like paper walls.
LOL, OK that IS a small room.

Yes, not everyone can deal with living in a condo. I don't mind it, but for most of my time here, I was trekking to the city for long hours of work. I rarely hear anyone on either side of the walls, but I do hear the neighbors when they are out front or in their back patio areas.

My neighbor on the one side apologized to me one day because the night before they had family over and they were out in the back until midnight and they hoped their talking and laughing didn't bother me. I assured them that it didn't. I always wondered why people got so prissy and took offense over normal sounds of humans, and then I realized it must be that I grew up in a large family and so learned to tune out noise like voices and laughing. My own dd is an only child, and I've noticed her tolerance for human voices and whatnot is lower than mine.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
I remember we did a househunt in Ramsey about ten years ago when we moved to this area. In our price range at the time, we were basically looking at ruins. They were tear downs but we didn't realize it.

Another place that seemed nice on the computer had three bedrooms. Ok. Well when we got there, the "third bedroom" was basically made for a fairy person perhaps. But the people had filled it with DOLL FURNITURE so the scale was all off on the pictures. Like a doll crib and a rocking chair that a five year old would sit in.

We had a lot of laughs on that househunt.
That is hilarious!

In the condo complex where I live, some of the units have three bedrooms. Some people knocked out the wall between the two smaller bedrooms and made it into one larger one. I've been in one that still has the three, and those two bedrooms are indeed very small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey