Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 02:13 PM

13 posts, read 3,792 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am very familiar with Manhattan but not at all across the river where I want to rent an Airbnb. The two things I want to know is;

I will make 2 round trips a day to my room. I will depart in the morning and return for a rest. Then go back into the city in early evening. So many choices on Airbnb, before I choose select was hoping to get some good info. I guess mainly I want the quickest train ride but if it;s way nicer to stay further maybe I would.

1. Where to stay for quickest PATH transit into NYC (any part)?

2. Different characteristics between Hoboken, Jersey City and Newport. Is one way nicer than the next?

Thank you!

~Clifford
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 03:22 PM

538 posts, read 732,569 times
1. It sounds hectic. Just stay in the city if you're planning to be there twice a day.

2. If you're going back and forth twice a day you're going to want to stay near the PATH close to the city. So you're pretty much looking at Hoboken or Newport or Grove in Jersey City. The WTC line is currently closed on the weekends for work so unless you're only planning to be here weekdays or you're planning in advance for a Christmas 2020 visit don't look around Exchange Place.

3. Hoboken is kinda bro, Grove street is slightly hipster, Newport is slightly mall.

Old 05-01-2019, 03:53 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,440 times
I don't know your budget but I would reconsider that. That sounds exhausting. If you are going in once a day, it could work, but twice-a-day is too much IMO

Old 05-01-2019, 04:41 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
I agree. Twice a day is going to ruin your visit. I don't find AirBNBs to be all that cheap. POD hotels are good and depending on when you come can be very reasonable. Really depends on your budget and time of year but commuting to NJ twice a day any time of year is unrealistic.

Old 05-01-2019, 04:57 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,963,074 times
I think Exchange Place is still an option despite the weekend closures? PATH is offering ferry transfers for those weekend closures:

PATH 2019 Weekend Closures - The Port Authority of NY & NJ

Unless I'm misinterpreting? Looks like a good option, to me. And the ferry on the weekends might even be a nice change of pace. Who doesn't like a boat ride?

During the week, the train ride from Exchange Place to WTC is less than 5 minutes. Maybe I'm crazy, but even twice a day, that doesn't sound so bad.

Old 05-02-2019, 06:44 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,213,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
I agree. Twice a day is going to ruin your visit. I don't find AirBNBs to be all that cheap. POD hotels are good and depending on when you come can be very reasonable. Really depends on your budget and time of year but commuting to NJ twice a day any time of year is unrealistic.
Couldn't agree more on both accounts.

Old 05-02-2019, 07:31 AM

4,154 posts, read 4,170,113 times
I would recommend stay in NYC.

Old 05-02-2019, 07:55 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
I'm not in the habit of giving advice that is opposite of what someone is looking for, but this is a bad idea. The real problem will be getting back and forth to your transportation point in NYC. The trip back and forth to NJ wouldn't be bad from many spots, it's the 2x a day thing that's a problem. Having to get across town, up or down town to get to a ferry or train will be both exhausting and time consuming.

If you're set on doing it, maybe this place could cut down on your trips? I'm not sure if it's open yet, but if it is you could rest IN the city. https://www.goto3den.com/

Old 05-02-2019, 08:49 AM

565 posts, read 722,044 times
Where in NYC are you going? Is your trip for tourist purposes, and you'll be doing something different each day, or are you coming for an event/work and will be going to the same location each day? I don't know about the 2x a day thing, just because you have to get from wherever you are going to in NYC back to the PATH station or Ferry station or Port Authority and then you have to get across the river. If you are visiting places in NYC that are very close to the ferry ports, or close to Port Authority or the Path, then it would work as well as getting an Airbnb in upper Manhattan or Brooklyn.

Will you be commuting in during peak rush hour, or will you be able to go off hours? In off hours, I can get from my apartment to Times Square in about 20 minutes. Either on the 126 or on the uptown ferry + ferry bus. During rush hour, it's more like 35 minutes door-to-TS taking either mode of transport. The PATH is fine from downtown and easy enough, but there's been severe overcrowding lately during rush hour; you also have the option of the downtown ferries from Hoboken.

Newport and Exchange place are similar in terms of severe overcrowding during rush hour, but much better/more pleasant in off hours. They also both have ferries, although I don't know how often the Newport ferry operates any more. But if you time your arrival correctly, the ferry can be super fast. I can make it from uptown Hoboken to Midtown west in 8 minutes, or uptown Hoboken to Brookfield place in less than 15. The ferry commute from downtown Hoboken or Exchange across to Brookfield are even faster. There's also the ferry to Wall Street, but that one seems to have more sporadic timings (maybe that's just from uptown when I've looked).

Old 05-02-2019, 10:45 AM

961 posts, read 721,516 times
I'll echo most other posters - stay in NYC. If you were to tell us that all of your tourist activities would be concentrated in the West Village or Chelsea, then fine Hoboken would probably work as it is a quick PATH ride. But that's likely not the case, and you'll be kicking yourself when are Uptown or on the East Sisde of the city and need to get back to the PATH, then go back to Hoboken Terminal, and then get to your AirBNB (yes, it's only 1 square mile but it could still take 15 minutes to walk).

Also, the weekend PATH service has been a disaster from Hoboken lately. On the weekends, the PATH goes from Journal Square to Hoboken to the city. By the time they get to Hoboken, they are usually full and you need to squeeze on - likely due to the WTC weekend closures. For the 1st time in my 6 years living here, I couldn't squeeze onto the first train and had to wait 10 minutes for the next one (which was ALMOST as bad.) That kind of crowding brings out the worst in people. Think Tokyo subway at rush hour, without the dudes pushing everyone one so the doors will close, ha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey