Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 09:11 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Shingles is a big deal for some people. It was for my mother, but hey, she didn't become blind.

You used to be funny once in a while in an ironic NJ/NY sort of way. I guess that ship has sailed.
i knew that was coming. like i have said multiple times, i would never support stopping someone from getting a vaccine. but the idea that people want to remove that choice from people with government force is impressive to me. i do find it interesting where this debate is leading. just like many other matters that have become politicized; it becomes a matter of all or nothing. support the police no matter what they do or you are anti-police. no middle ground. so you are developing a lot of people who basically support vaccination religiously and wont accept that any vaccinations may be unnecessary or more risky than others. there are a bunch of vaccines, is government supposed to simply mandate all of them by force? they are all equally safe, effective and necessary?

its never really been my goal to entertain other people. im here to entertain myself. i have some strong opinions (particularly with regard to being anti-government) and people tend to not like them. thats why i dont talk politics in person; better to offend people here. someone can try to convince me that the government has a right to require prescriptions for medication. no matter what, in a million years will i ever agree with that. i dont bend when it comes to the most evil organization on earth trying to tell other people what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2019, 08:11 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
^ Without vaccines for many diseases there would be more suffering and death, and more costs due to more suffering and death. Most people these days truly don’t know what it was like before vaccines and even antibiotics, modern medicine in general, when it was relatively normal for parents to lose a child or two and for people to die from diseases vaccines now protect against. People now are more complacent because they’ve been kept safe for all these years.

It baffles me that people think they’re smarter than doctors and those who research and create vaccines. And when they think vaccines are some big pharma/gov conspiracy or something. It’s a lot of arrogance and selfishness. Herd immunity is important to protect everyone, including those too young to be vaccinated or unable to for other legitimate reasons. The anti-vaxxers benefit from herd immunity as well, until there are too many of them (that’s starting to happen in some areas it seems - too many of them, hence this measles spread around here). They take advantage of the very thing they don’t believe in and refuse to participate in. It’s wrong, screw all of them, they put the public in danger. I’d ideally like those without valid medical exemptions to be forced to be vaccinated, it sounds nice in theory, but that probably wouldn’t work or be possible, so attempting it unfortunately probably shouldn’t happen.

Old 05-12-2019, 05:48 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
they think vaccines are some big pharma/gov conspiracy or something. It’s a lot of arrogance and selfishness.
Let us not forget ignorance as a factor. It is not unusual for ignorant people to treat everything that they can't comprehend as a conspiracy.

Old 05-12-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
^ Without vaccines for many diseases there would be more suffering and death, and more costs due to more suffering and death. Most people these days truly don’t know what it was like before vaccines and even antibiotics, modern medicine in general, when it was relatively normal for parents to lose a child or two and for people to die from diseases vaccines now protect against. People now are more complacent because they’ve been kept safe for all these years.

It baffles me that people think they’re smarter than doctors and those who research and create vaccines. And when they think vaccines are some big pharma/gov conspiracy or something. It’s a lot of arrogance and selfishness. Herd immunity is important to protect everyone, including those too young to be vaccinated or unable to for other legitimate reasons. The anti-vaxxers benefit from herd immunity as well, until there are too many of them (that’s starting to happen in some areas it seems - too many of them, hence this measles spread around here). They take advantage of the very thing they don’t believe in and refuse to participate in. It’s wrong, screw all of them, they put the public in danger. I’d ideally like those without valid medical exemptions to be forced to be vaccinated, it sounds nice in theory, but that probably wouldn’t work or be possible, so attempting it unfortunately probably shouldn’t happen.
its not reality government conspiracy, its government. nothing secret about it. they are actively mass murdering people all over the world and i just hope people can keep them from starting a war with iran right now.

vaccines are a business. people make money and companies have lobbyists to bribe government. business in collusion with government is very dangerous. i never said to get rid of vaccines, that is the default response when someone is skeptical. try to filibuster with strawman arguments.

your post is really kind of silly. there are presently thousands of scientists working on thousands of different drugs. most will not be successful. many of the drugs they develop will ultimately not be safe for the public's use. pointing that out isnt suggesting that anyone is smarter than scientists. it is actually the person who says something like that who is clearly ignorant of how the process works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8elE7Ct1jWw

Old 05-12-2019, 08:04 AM

^ I didn’t say you said to get rid of vaccines.

It doesn’t matter what drugs are in development because the vaccines we have now, including the one that kept measles down to almost zero in the US until recently, are safe. My post was not “silly.”

Old 05-12-2019, 08:11 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its not reality government conspiracy, its government. nothing secret about it. they are actively mass murdering people all over the world and i just hope people can keep them from starting a war with iran right now.

vaccines are a business. people make money and companies have lobbyists to bribe government. business in collusion with government is very dangerous. i never said to get rid of vaccines, that is the default response when someone is skeptical. try to filibuster with strawman arguments.

your post is really kind of silly. there are presently thousands of scientists working on thousands of different drugs. most will not be successful. many of the drugs they develop will ultimately not be safe for the public's use. pointing that out isnt suggesting that anyone is smarter than scientists. it is actually the person who says something like that who is clearly ignorant of how the process works.
Sure, many potential drugs do not pan out. The topic of this thread, however, is measles. The vaccine for that is not new, and it works. That is the reason the measles virus no longer circulates in the US population. Outbreaks happen here only when someone imports it from another country.

Comments about the government killing people and war with Iran are totally irrelevant. Not using vaccines because you disagree with what the politicians do overseas is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
^ I didn’t say you said to get rid of vaccines.

It doesn’t matter what drugs are in development because the vaccines we have now, including the one that kept measles down to almost zero in the US until recently, are safe. My post was not “silly.”
you started off with "without vaccines for many diseases" but nobody suggested getting rid of vaccines. its not appropriate to make arguments for why we need vaccines when nobody said that we dont.

yes, it is silly to suggest that people who question vaccines are suggesting that they are smarter than the scientists that develop vaccines.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Sure, many potential drugs do not pan out. The topic of this thread, however, is measles. The vaccine for that is not new, and it works. That is the reason the measles virus no longer circulates in the US population. Outbreaks happen here only when someone imports it from another country.

Comments about the government killing people and war with Iran are totally irrelevant. Not using vaccines because you disagree with what the politicians do overseas is cutting off your nose to spite your face.
i hope that it isnt revelant. it starts becoming relevant when people want to use government force to get people to do stuff. it becomes relevant when people use government as a resource for information supporting their arguments. i would love to never touch that argument but some people seem to want government to come in and use its might to force people to do things against their will.

im not anti-vaccine, im anti-government forcing people to get vaccines.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
you started off with "without vaccines for many diseases" but nobody suggested getting rid of vaccines. its not appropriate to make arguments for why we need vaccines when nobody said that we dont.

yes, it is silly to suggest that people who question vaccines are suggesting that they are smarter than the scientists that develop vaccines.
My post was about anti-vaxxers who don’t use them themselves, not about anyone who wants to get rid of vaccines, assuming anyone even does.

Old 05-12-2019, 09:11 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
i hope that it isnt revelant. it starts becoming relevant when people want to use government force to get people to do stuff. it becomes relevant when people use government as a resource for information supporting their arguments. i would love to never touch that argument but some people seem to want government to come in and use its might to force people to do things against their will.

im not anti-vaccine, im anti-government forcing people to get vaccines.
The only time a US citizen would be forced to vaccinate is in the event of a large epidemic that could not be controlled otherwise.

No one who opposes mandated vaccination for his children in order to go to school will be forced to vaccinate them. They just cannot go to school.

Disregard government sources of information if you wish. To do so requires buying into conspiracy theory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey