U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2019, 09:54 PM

11 posts, read 4,737 times

Advertisements

Dear folks,

Wife got an offer at New York Presbyterian hospital CUIMC (close to GW Bridge) , and we are looking forward to moving from California to the NYC-NJ region.

We really need suggestions to find a good place to live and commute from.

Preferences:
* Keep commute under 30-50 mins(rush hour traffic) and having a public transportation option is great
* Safe and clean neighborhood
* Price up to 500-600K(can stretch 100K more if it is worth it)
* Just the two of us, no kids
* Prefer to have newer homes(1990+)
* Don't really mind home type - SFH, townhomes - as long as there is ample space for us and a few family guests - if that can help reduce the commute.

Searching through the forum, I found mentions of Ridge wood, Fair Lawn, and Paramus on NJ side, and none, really, on the NY side that fits our budget. I did look up Crossings at Radburn by Pulte Homes(thanks to a ton of online marketing ) . I like the fact that there is public transportation option from Fair Lawn to GWB bus station as well as from Fair Lawn to Manhattan(in case I take up a job there).

Would love to hear suggestions from the community here.

Thanks very much, and have an awesome day!

sv
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 10:40 PM

64,865 posts, read 61,132,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svar View Post
Dear folks,

Wife got an offer at New York Presbyterian hospital CUIMC (close to GW Bridge) , and we are looking forward to moving from California to the NYC-NJ region.

We really need suggestions to find a good place to live and commute from.

Preferences:
* Keep commute under 30-50 mins(rush hour traffic) and having a public transportation option is great
* Don't really mind home type - SFH, townhomes - as long as there is ample space for us and a few family guests - if that can help reduce the commute.

Searching through the forum, I found mentions of Ridge wood, Fair Lawn, and Paramus on NJ side, and none, really, on the NY side that fits our budget. I did look up Crossings at Radburn by Pulte Homes(thanks to a ton of online marketing ) . I like the fact that there is public transportation option from Fair Lawn to GWB bus station as well as from Fair Lawn to Manhattan(in case I take up a job there).

Would love to hear suggestions from the community here.

Thanks very much, and have an awesome day!

sv
Just a geography lesson: The NY Presbyterian and the GWB Bus Station ARE in Manhattan. Manhattan is a long, skinny island about 13.5 miles long and <2.5 miles wide at its widest point. The hospital and the bus station are located in the northern part of Manhattan.

The last part of your statement about public transportation refers to Midtown Manhattan, where the larger main bus terminal is located.

Fair Lawn/Radburn is a good choice for your commute, as well as a decent town with access to everything.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Just a geography lesson: The NY Presbyterian and the GWB Bus Station ARE in Manhattan. Manhattan is a long, skinny island about 13.5 miles long and <2.5 miles wide at its widest point. The hospital and the bus station are located in the northern part of Manhattan.

The last part of your statement about public transportation refers to Midtown Manhattan, where the larger main bus terminal is located.

Fair Lawn/Radburn is a good choice for your commute, as well as a decent town with access to everything.
Thank you for the reply. The geography lesson was definitely helpful

Old 05-21-2019, 07:30 AM

4,324 posts, read 3,764,986 times
Have you looked into the Riverdale area of the Bronx?

Old 05-21-2019, 07:39 AM

565 posts, read 542,987 times
Why not look right in Fort Lee or Edgewater? Your budget there will get you a condo, but your commute would be good. If I were moving from California, I'd probably rent for a year and see which neighborhoods I like most before buying. If it's just the two of you, why not rent right in Washington Heights near your wife's job? It's a nice area and would be so convenient for her. You only need a 2 bedroom to start, right?

If you want more space than that, you can check out condos and townhomes in Fort Lee, Edgewater, Leonia, Palisades Park, West NY, etc. Very convenient to the city and close to the waterfront/NYC views, with good access to shopping and stuff.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:41 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,255,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svar View Post

Preferences:

You will open up your options substantially if you nix the newer home requirement. (It's also a chance to embrace the full East Coast NYC metro experience.)

I get it. I spent 25 years total in southern and northern CA (in addition to CO, TX and GA and CT) but it's not a thing here like it is in CA because everything here has been built up for longer, thus, there are FAR fewer "newer" developments bc the land has had buildings on it for 60-100 years.

Conversely, people who have lived here most of their lives are unfamiliar with CA housing and the overall newness of everything (homes and shopping areas), buried electrical lines, just to be fair.

I lived in many homes of all vintages (50s, 60s, 70s, 90s) including building a new home in CO a decade ago and currently living in a 119 year-old-home of the same size and my biggest takeaway is housing diversity has been good for us.

If I were you, I'd also consider renting for a year to get a feel for everything.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:49 AM

538 posts, read 509,742 times
Move into Hudson View Gardens in Washington Heights (just north of the bridge). That's where I used to live before we had a kid and decided to move to New Jersey.

You'll probably only be able to afford a 1 bedroom, but it's a beautiful co-op and a fairly easy walk to the hospital (option for bus or subway is there too). You won't have much room for guests but 1) it's New York, they can figure something out and 2) the co-op has a rental that guests can reserve. My parents would plan their trips around the availability of that apartment. Also it was built in the 20s and not the 90s, but what's 70 years?

While we enjoy our house, we do miss HVG. I could easily see us moving back there when we are empty nesters if it's still semi-affordable.

As far as other towns, a house sounds cool, but the bridge traffic every... single... day... might slowly kill you.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Have you looked into the Riverdale area of the Bronx?
Yes, Riverdale was very enticing. But unfortunately, there wasn't much inventory within our budget of 500-600K that we liked. There were a few rental options that were nice, and a few co-ops.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
You will open up your options substantially if you nix the newer home requirement. (It's also a chance to embrace the full East Coast NYC metro experience.)

I get it. I spent 25 years total in southern and northern CA (in addition to CO, TX and GA and CT) but it's not a thing here like it is in CA because everything here has been built up for longer, thus, there are FAR fewer "newer" developments bc the land has had buildings on it for 60-100 years.

Conversely, people who have lived here most of their lives are unfamiliar with CA housing and the overall newness of everything (homes and shopping areas), buried electrical lines, just to be fair.

I lived in many homes of all vintages (50s, 60s, 70s, 90s) including building a new home in CO a decade ago and currently living in a 119 year-old-home of the same size and my biggest takeaway is housing diversity has been good for us.

If I were you, I'd also consider renting for a year to get a feel for everything.
Thank you for the advice. To be honest, the main reason we are steering away from homes built before 1980 is because of concerns around lead in the paint and pipes. We intend to have a child in the next couple of years, and don't know enough about inspecting older homes for such hazards. Also, having gone through an early miscarriage recently, we are trying to be proactive and prepared for next time.

Another "not-so-important" reason is that i bought an EV only a couple of months ago(I really wasn't expecting to relocate so quickly). I don't see EV charging possibility in any of the condos, even the newer ones in Fort Lee and the surroundings. So if nothing else works out and I have to go the rental or condo route, then I will probably have to get rid of the car.

Last edited by svar; 05-21-2019 at 09:16 AM..

Old 05-21-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrysdonnell View Post
Move into Hudson View Gardens in Washington Heights (just north of the bridge). That's where I used to live before we had a kid and decided to move to New Jersey.

You'll probably only be able to afford a 1 bedroom, but it's a beautiful co-op and a fairly easy walk to the hospital (option for bus or subway is there too). You won't have much room for guests but 1) it's New York, they can figure something out and 2) the co-op has a rental that guests can reserve. My parents would plan their trips around the availability of that apartment. Also it was built in the 20s and not the 90s, but what's 70 years?

While we enjoy our house, we do miss HVG. I could easily see us moving back there when we are empty nesters if it's still semi-affordable.

As far as other towns, a house sounds cool, but the bridge traffic every... single... day... might slowly kill you.
HVG is indeed beautiful. Thanks for the recommendation. We will definitely consider the place in case we decide to nix our newer construction requirement. How long did you stay in a co-op? I read a few articles that recommended a co-op only if you were gonna stay put for more than 5 years at that place.

Last edited by svar; 05-21-2019 at 09:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or