U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 07:43 PM

6 posts, read 2,742 times

Advertisements

Is there anywhere in New Jersey that has a completely chilled out pace of life. That is right next to NYC?

- No road rage
- Nobody in a rush
- No angry people in cars honking outside my window or racing to beat pedestrians on a crosswalk
- Definitely no crime
- Nothing like New York City, but just a train ride away?

I've been to Jersey City, Newark, Paramus, Patterson, Morristown and even Montclair and they miss the bar on all the above. Is there anywhere where I can have the same pace of life as the Midwest in the NYC area?

Some places I've been to that come close but still are not relaxed enough for my liking are: Franklin Lakes and Ramapo.

Last edited by new-to-nj; 05-30-2019 at 08:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 08:30 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,155,122 times
Fair Haven, Little Silver, Rumson, Shrewsbury, Manasquan

Old 05-30-2019, 08:57 PM

832 posts, read 710,740 times
Well Jersey City does call itself Chilltown lol.

Please definite “right next to NYC.” You are being unrealistic if you think you can find a slow pace of life within that orbit, whether in NJ, NY, or CT. Population density (and therefore traffic) make that pretty impossible. Newport in Jersey City is relatively tame, but I suspect that you won’t like being packed like a sardine on the PATH. Hoboken has a chill vibe to it, although it gets rowdy at night (and Sundays during football season) with the bars.

If you go out as far as Morristown and still think it’s too busy, I’d say you are out of luck. Maybe NJ is not for you. Any further than that, and you are getting quite far from NYC.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:08 PM

9,596 posts, read 15,225,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new-to-nj View Post
Is there anywhere in New Jersey that has a completely chilled out pace of life. That is right next to NYC?
You need to head to the swamp. New Vernon, Meyersville, Long Hill, etc.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:11 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,023,450 times
No.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:24 PM

331 posts, read 202,806 times
Quote:

- No road rage
- Nobody in a rush
- No angry people in cars honking outside my window or racing to beat pedestrians on a crosswalk
- Definitely no crime

I've been to Jersey City, Newark, Paramus, Patterson, Morristown and even Montclair and they miss the bar on all the above. Is there anywhere where I can have the same pace of life as the Midwest in the NYC area?

Some places I've been to that come close but still are not relaxed enough for my liking are: Franklin Lakes and Ramapo.
Lol no...

Old 05-30-2019, 09:51 PM

108 posts, read 66,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
You need to head to the swamp. New Vernon, Meyersville, Long Hill, etc.
Good advice, I’ve not visited these areas yet. Train access to NYC seems possible everyday for work.

Old 05-30-2019, 11:06 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,270,156 times
Perhaps the Hackettstown area? It’s very bucolic out there, but still has direct train access to NYC. Not sure if they have express trains, mostly likely. Good luck!

Old 05-30-2019, 11:41 PM

58,572 posts, read 56,464,631 times
You could look at Sussex County. No train, though. Buses.

New Jersey is the most densely populated state in the country. Let's be realistic. What you're looking for doesn't actually exist, of course, which you already know unless you live under a rock.

Besides the aforementioned Sussex County, another idea, if you really have your heart set on a train as the main mode of transportation, would be to look at the NJ Transit train line map and information (www.nj.transit.com) and start looking at the last stop on the line and towns near them. Make a list. Then go from there.

Old 05-31-2019, 05:58 AM

8,794 posts, read 12,744,262 times
Quote:

- No road rage
- Nobody in a rush
- Definitely no crime

Utopia, NJ

Let us know when you find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or