Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 10:56 PM

29 posts, read 68,584 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a 3 bedroom apartment with two other friends. I currently go to Rutgers New Brunswick and work in Metuchen, one of the other roommates works somewhere off Exit 8 on the Turnpike, and the other roommate goes to school at Union County College but works way up in North Jersey a few days out of the week.

Just by looking at a map, it seems that Cranford, Clark, Colonia and Westfield is a good compromise between the three of us. But I'm a little bit hesitant about just picking a random town to live in that I don't know anything about. We're looking for a 3 bedroom that ranges from $1500-1800. We're done with the crazy college town party life, but it would be nice to have some decent night life nearby. I know none of these areas are like Hoboken or Morristown, but if any of these towns appeal more to people in their early 20s, it would be good to know. If anyone can give out any info about what each respective town's downtown is like would also be helpful. Of course I guess it depends where in each town you live, but easy access to the Turnpike and public transportation (the train specifically) would help for three girls who commute at least 30 minutes to work/school.

Also if anyone has any other suggestions besides the towns I'm considering, feel free to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 07:07 AM

59 posts, read 104,964 times
Listen. Cranford, Colonia, Clark are all fine and dandy but as we have said before, they are more family oriented. If you guys are young, have no kids and want to be closer to the city, I would pick a place like Elizabeth. Why? It is not that far from New Brunswick or Metuchen and if your roommate needs to work in North Jersey, it is not a bad haul either. The only thing though is that there are many seedy parts in Elizabeth, so it is not going to be a Mayberry type of place, it is much more urban than the cities mentioned but the location is convenient. There are 2 NJ Transit stations in Elizabeth and it is really close to the airport. If you are scared of Elizabeth, then I would consider Linden or Roselle Park.

Last edited by NJGUIDO; 04-14-2008 at 07:16 AM..

Old 04-14-2008, 07:58 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,666,669 times
Cranford or Westfield would work for you, if you're done with the crazy college partying. They make a nice place for friends to come by, have a few beers, etc., and you're close to some decent bars. Its a safe area, and you'll actually find quite a few twenty-somethings living in the area. Most do what I did - nice, calm, safe life at home, go to the city, hit up bars, etc. on weekends.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:23 AM

786 posts, read 2,662,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanobabes View Post
I'm looking for a 3 bedroom apartment with two other friends. I currently go to Rutgers New Brunswick and work in Metuchen, one of the other roommates works somewhere off Exit 8 on the Turnpike, and the other roommate goes to school at Union County College but works way up in North Jersey a few days out of the week.

Just by looking at a map, it seems that Cranford, Clark, Colonia and Westfield is a good compromise between the three of us. But I'm a little bit hesitant about just picking a random town to live in that I don't know anything about. We're looking for a 3 bedroom that ranges from $1500-1800. We're done with the crazy college town party life, but it would be nice to have some decent night life nearby. I know none of these areas are like Hoboken or Morristown, but if any of these towns appeal more to people in their early 20s, it would be good to know. If anyone can give out any info about what each respective town's downtown is like would also be helpful. Of course I guess it depends where in each town you live, but easy access to the Turnpike and public transportation (the train specifically) would help for three girls who commute at least 30 minutes to work/school.

Also if anyone has any other suggestions besides the towns I'm considering, feel free to share.
Cranford and the like are about 17 miles away from the Piscataway campus of Rutgers, along 287, route 1 and GSP.

Union County College is in Cranford, so that's pretty convenient. I went there before moving to Rutgers. It's about 5 minutes away from our home.

As someone mentioned though, they are mostly family oriented towns, unless you like taking the train to New Brunswick or NYC for some partying.

The downtowns of all the towns you mention are all ok, with the westfield one being bigger I believe. I noticed they are spiffying up the Cranford downtown last week, painting the shops in really cool colors.

You can rent the film Guess Who with Ashton Kutcher to see scenes of the Cranford downtown....

Guess Who (film - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

For the rent money you're stating, AND if you don't mind a family town, I'd consider something like the nice rentals at Cranford Crossing:

Cranford Crossing

It's right next to the train station (as in the next block over), downtown (which has some taverns and hotels), and a Blockbuster (the next building), 5 minute walking distance to the pathmark at garwood, and has TONS of parking space (as in a huge parking garage). It's also a mixed use building in that there are eating shops and other retail shops downstairs, so that's sorta cool (I ate in a one of the eating stops called COSA two weeks ago - it's sorta like Panera, with free Wi-Fi and funky sandwiches).

Last edited by kalim2008; 04-14-2008 at 11:38 AM..

Old 04-14-2008, 01:17 PM

29 posts, read 68,584 times
Unfortunately Cranford Crossing doesn't have any 3 bedroom apartments. Anyone know of any other apartment complexes in Cranford? So far it sounds like the best bet.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanobabes View Post
Unfortunately Cranford Crossing doesn't have any 3 bedroom apartments. Anyone know of any other apartment complexes in Cranford? So far it sounds like the best bet.
I'll check, but why not get a 3 bedroom house then? There are one or two (not sure about their condition) that are at $1700 or so.

Here:
Cranford Apartments

Westfield seems to have a 3 bedroom...

Riverside Garden Apartments I believe is on the same road as Union County College, near downtown too (walking distance). I would pick Cranford Crossing over it though since the latter is much newer and looks better on the outside too....but both don't have 3 bedrooms looks like....

Old 04-14-2008, 01:39 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,632,150 times
Check out Rahway - it's on the train line to New Brunswick and Metuchen, and there are a lot of new condos/apartments going up downtown:

Homes by Maplewood (http://www.homesbymaplewood.com/rahway-projects.aspx - broken link)
Park Square Online
River Place at Rahway (http://www.riverplacerahway.com/index.asp - broken link)
Diversified Communities
Welcome to Carriage City Plaza in Rahway, NJ

Old 04-14-2008, 01:44 PM

526 posts, read 2,068,014 times
I hate to sound repetitive, but you’re not going to find a decent 3-bedroom anything in Westfield or Cranford for $1,500-$1,800. Just as a frame of reference: There are 1-bedrooms in Elizabeth going for $1,200. But you might get lucky and find a 3-bedroom in Elizabeth for $1,800. If you don’t mind a little “salsa” in your life, you should check it out.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:00 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,666,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TOWN-R.I.P. View Post
I hate to sound repetitive, but you’re not going to find a decent 3-bedroom anything in Westfield or Cranford for $1,500-$1,800. Just as a frame of reference: There are 1-bedrooms in Elizabeth going for $1,200. But you might get lucky and find a 3-bedroom in Elizabeth for $1,800. If you don’t mind a little “salsa” in your life, you should check it out.
I rented a 3BR place in Westfield, 2 family home, with eat in kitchen, dining room, living room, 2 full baths, 8 foot closets for each bedroom, with garage space, for $1700/mo + electric. Only moved out about 1.5yrs ago, I doubt it changed all that drastically - this was a really nice house too.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
Check out Rahway - it's on the train line to New Brunswick and Metuchen, and there are a lot of new condos/apartments going up downtown:

Homes by Maplewood (http://www.homesbymaplewood.com/rahway-projects.aspx - broken link)
Park Square Online
River Place at Rahway (http://www.riverplacerahway.com/index.asp - broken link)
Diversified Communities
Welcome to Carriage City Plaza in Rahway, NJ
I think rahway is also in between new brunswick and union county college, so it might be a good bet. don't know much about it other than that though....we just pass through it on way to piscataway via rt 27.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey