Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 07:25 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,080,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katalin View Post
Thanks a bunch! what do you mean by "passenger station". How about Highland Park, Piscataway, Somerset, and The Brunswicks?
None of those towns have train stations. But I would highly recommend Highland Park. I lived there for many years. It's a quiet little area with a ton of rental options. If you live on the south side of town you can easily walk to New Brunswick. There is also a bus that runs along Route 27 to/from New Brunswick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 07:04 AM

19,034 posts, read 25,104,119 times
Quote:
what do you mean by "passenger station".
That was a reference to NJ Transit RR stations.

Old 07-01-2019, 10:28 AM

87,957 posts, read 83,773,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
You can get from NJ to Manhattan without paying a toll by taking the Dunn Memorial Bridge across the Hudson.
Newflash--New Brunswick is the in opposite direction of Manhattan.

Old 07-01-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Newflash--New Brunswick is the in opposite direction of Manhattan.
Yes, but if somebody wants to avoid paying a toll to drive into Manhattan, surely it would be worthwhile to drive 6 hours+/350 miles (round-trip) in order to "save money"!!

Old 07-01-2019, 10:51 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,489,771 times
NJ tolls can be annoying but several times in NYC, I had to go through the Battery Tunnel which is $8.50 and Queens mid-town tunnel and that was over $9. This is just going from one boro in NYC to Manhattan. Add congestion pricing later on you're looking at $17-20 total just to get into NYC from another NYC boro!

So if you think NJ tolls are ridiculous, NYC tolls are highway robbery. Such as the whitestone, Varanzao, or TapanZee. All of these bridges were advertised as pay toll till it is fully paid off and they never removed the tolls even though they've already made billions from tolls.

Now NYC is adding speed cameras on top of red light cameras and you're looking at more highway robbery.

Old 07-01-2019, 11:06 AM

87,957 posts, read 83,773,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
NJ tolls can be annoying but several times in NYC, I had to go through the Battery Tunnel which is $8.50 and Queens mid-town tunnel and that was over $9. This is just going from one boro in NYC to Manhattan. Add congestion pricing later on you're looking at $17-20 total just to get into NYC from another NYC boro!

So if you think NJ tolls are ridiculous, NYC tolls are highway robbery. Such as the whitestone, Varanzao, or TapanZee. All of these bridges were advertised as pay toll till it is fully paid off and they never removed the tolls even though they've already made billions from tolls.

Now NYC is adding speed cameras on top of red light cameras and you're looking at more highway robbery.
I really think that's some sort of bizarre urban legend. It's said about every bridge and toll road in the region, and it can't possibly be true. You don't just build a bridge and say, "Allrighty, then, we're done! We'll never have to maintain or do major repairs on this facility again, so we'll do away with the tolls."

Old 07-01-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
I really think that's some sort of bizarre urban legend. It's said about every bridge and toll road in the region, and it can't possibly be true. You don't just build a bridge and say, "Allrighty, then, we're done! We'll never have to maintain or do major repairs on this facility again, so we'll do away with the tolls."
+1
I was a teenager when the Verrazzano Bridge was being built, and I read the NYT--cover to cover--in those days. There was a huge amount of publicity regarding the building of the bridge and its opening, and I don't recall ever reading anything about the tolls being imposed for just a limited amount of time, until the construction costs had been paid-off. Then again, I am thinking of the Verrazzano Bridge, and he was referring to the Varanzao Bridge, which is apparently a different span.

Old 07-01-2019, 11:52 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,489,771 times
Quote:
The Williamsburg, Brooklyn, and 59th St bridge are all free. Bloomberg was proposing to implement tolls on them but didn't.

Old 07-01-2019, 02:50 PM

652 posts, read 1,268,383 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
That was a reference to NJ Transit RR stations.
what is RR station? I am not local obviously

Old 07-01-2019, 03:36 PM

23,298 posts, read 16,980,838 times
Quote:
Hi I am thinking about where to live when I will be working at Rutgers New Brunswick. I am considering Rahway, Highland Park, Somerset, North or East Brunswick, Piscataway, Linden, Elizabeth or Union or if you have a better idea in mind.

I would like to live about 10 minutes away from the train in case I don't want to drive. Are there any tolls from these cities mentioned above driving to Rutgers? Which one is the cheapest city? Thank you.
fords Edison Metuchen along new Brunswick ave/amboy ave.

on a clear day from Lillian st in Fords to Cook on rt 1, 15 minutes. about 12 miles, several alternate routes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey